RCA jack and plug too tight!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Johnny Action, Nov 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President Thread Starter

It’s so difficult pulling off and pushing back on my RCA plug and jacks. It almost feels like I might break the back off the rear amp and CD player housing. Should I lube the surfaces? Silicone spray? DW40? Sand it down with fine grit sandpaper? My plugs are by Monster Cable, btw.

2. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

Some of the monster cable connectors are notorious for pulling RCA jack out of the chassis of components. Get rid of the cables. Or change the connectors to something with less of a death grip. Unless you are planning on towing a car with it.

NOS300B, 2trackmind and Dave like this.
  3. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

I might have been doing it wrong but I would just pry the plug apart with a screwdriver.

4. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

The grip of death.

Get Blue Jeans cables to replace your grip of death Monster Cables. The Blue Jeans cables have a nice RCA plug that has leaf springs to grip the RCA jack with love. Love not death.

NOS300B, Tone? and 33na3rd like this.
  5. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

Yes, I agree with the consensus here. The small investment in a new cable is nothing compared to fixing the unit or abandoning the affected RCA jacks. FWIW, Monoprice used to sell similar death grip connectors. It would be wise to peruse user reviews to avoid other cables similarly constructed.

6. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

Don't sand the connectors and don't use any industrial solvents. You'll only ruin the conductive coating and I doubt it would help with your situation.

I agree with the others, get a pair of Blue Jeans RCA cables. They provide better quality sound and very good connectors.
    Stereo Cables at Blue Jeans Cable

The LC-1 cables.

7. Johnny Action

Thanks guys!

The Dragon and Roycer like this.
  8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I do like the RCA plugs on the Blue Jeans cables. The leaf springs grip with love. I'm not going to claim the Blue Jeans cables are the best cable. I do hear a difference with cables. I prefer the Blue Jeans Belden 1505F cable to their LC-1 cable. What I like about Blue Jeans is the RCA plug. So much love with the RCA jack. No hate of death. It is the RCA plug I judge all others against.

I'm a big believer that RCA cables should not grip so hard on the RCA jack that they risk pulling the RCA jack off of the circuit board. A lot of gear has the RCA jack supported only by the solder joints to the circuit board. A cable that grips so tight that it ends up pulling the RCA jack off of the circuit board becomes a very very expensive cable. I don't like to play with very very expensive cables.

9. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Do they have screw on plugs? My DH Labs are like that, and have the option of tightening on the sleeve while on the RCA out/in.

10. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is"

many do....all my Rega interconnects have a "lock" that can be engaged once the plugs are inserted. Just a simple twist/untwist of the barrel.

hi_watt likes this.
  11. Lowrider75

Those are locking RCA connectors. I have them on a pair of Siltech. I've only seen them on higher-end cables.

Edit... so yeah, DH, Rega, Siltech.

hi_watt likes this.
  12. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Ha!!! Not really, I've got them in some cheap Chinese IC's and some DIY I've made years ago, never again!

In my opinion locking RCA's are best avoided and the perfect recipe to damage audio components.

timind and Ham Sandwich like this.
  13. Lowrider75

I don't think they're necessary or advantageous. But how can they cause damage?

hi_watt likes this.
  14. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

Locking RCA’s? In 50 years, I have never had one come loose. It’s a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist.

15. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

There are a few ways,

People sometimes forget they are locking type and use a lot of force to pull them out damaging the board the females are soldered in or even worse cracking the female or the back of the component when made of plastic.
    Even when in the unlocked position sometimes they are still really tight forcing you to use extreme force with the same results.

I have seen that kind of damage first hand, sometimes is not visible externally but the circuit board can get cracked or pins get loose causing intermittent loss of signal. It doesn't happen all the time but it happens. I was trying to find you a photo but there aren't many, here is one example of the many things that could happen. In this case it seems the full female was stripped out of the component. It doesn't even need to be locking type just an ordinary but tight RCA can end up badly.

[​IMG]

hi_watt likes this.
  16. Lowrider75

I believe it. I approach the back of my rack very carefully. Too many cables and components back there to make a rash decision.

17. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

If its a normal plug, I usually use a small pair of pliers and bend the outer contacts out enough to ease it.
    Too tight will cause all sorts of problems

timind, Vinny123 and E.Baba like this.
  18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

As others have said, if it is so tight that it could potentially damage the device you are connecting it to - get rid of it. But if you are careful, it is possible to bend one of the outer contacts with needle nose pliers to ease the death grip. I have done this succesfully multiple times, but also busted some off as well.

19. Johnny Action

20. ivor

ivor Senior Member

I recently encountered some cables with Neutrik Rean connectors, they are lovely. They made me actually want to plug and unplug them. I've thought about using them on some of my existing cables. They cost less than $2 each, I assume they crimp on.
    Neutrik NYS373 | B&H Photo Video

timind likes this.
  21. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

Hahaha never get tired of youre ‘ grip of death ‘ posts.

yup agreed. Blue jeans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.