RCA Victor Model A-108 restoration

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vinyl Addict, Mar 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident Thread Starter

My wife's mother is moving and she has been bringing home all kinds of stuff (read: crap).
    Well we did manage to grab this beautiful antique console. It's a RCA Victor Model A-108
    The exterior is in very good shape.
    However, the internal contents need some love.
    The left side is a 33/78 record changer (up to 12 at a time).
    The right side has another turntable that plays 78s (up to 12 also) and features a tuner as well. The speaker is below the 45 player.
    The unit powers on when plugged in. I turned on the 33/78 player and got nothing. I pulled the platter off and noticed it's an idler pulley that drives it. I lubed up everything that needed lube and turned it on at 78 rpm and eventually got the idler wheel spinning. However, I can't figure out how to put the platter back on with the tension of the idler wheel .

The 45 side has no output at all. It powers up (the lights for the tuner come on), but no feedback. Just a few pops from the speaker when I move the tuner dial.
    The top of the 45 player lifts up and is not fastened to anything, other than a few wires. I can see the belt is all dry and gummed up.

Anyone know of any tips for working on one of these? I haven't opened up the back yet, probably tomorrow. I know it's a bunch of tubes in behind the 45 player.
    Where can I buy parts? I need belts and carts at the minimum.

Here's a bunch of pics, hoping to get some help from you guys on how to troubleshoot etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MMM, BigGame, Reader and 4 others like this.
  2. Vinyl Addict

3. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Thats a really nice unit!! You should restore that.

4. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Very jealous. I bet the guys on audiokarma.org could help you out if you haven't already posted there.

tmtomh likes this.
  5. Vinyl Addict

I'm not a member over there.
    I DO plan on restoring it. Hoping to be able to find the help/insight online. I need parts etc.

6. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

That's really nice and it looks like it is in decent condition.

Hopefully this web site has something useful for you,
    Capacitors, Resistors and Schematics for Tube Radios / Electronics

I also like the Phil's Old Radios web site. He doesn't have your particular model featured but he has good (and lengthy) articles on old equipment that he has restored.

Scott

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  7. Vinyl Addict

I just joined over there, but I'm not sure which category to post it in.

8. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

You know what, I bet that FM Tuner sounds really good. You'll need a decent antenna.

Of course, the right side is for 45s. I'm pretty sure that there are sources for the cartridges for the RCA 45 players. What a neat unit. I probably wouldn't play anything but 78s on the left side. But the cabinet is beautiful and it will be a great conversation piece.

And if you don't want to deal with the electronics, you could gut it and turn it into a bar.

9. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

Try "Turntables". It gets tons of hits.

tmtomh and scotth like this.
  10. First, here's a link to the service information and Antique Electronic Supply probably has many of the electronic parts you may need:
    R.C.A. Victor Co., Inc. A-108 | Antique Electronic Supply

Second, there is a wealth of real world information available through YouTube for almost anything . Here's one for the A-108:

For parts and service, here's another link to a company, West-Tech Services:
    West-Tech Services - As The Records Spin, The Memories Begin

Fun and involved projects can be helped along by just searching the internet.

Dan C likes this.
  11. Vinyl Addict

I found the You tube videos, but the 2 vids don't really show/tell me what I'm looking for.
    I pulled the 45 player/tuner out. It is all one unit with the amp etc built into the bottom. I'm wondering if I'm better off paying someone to service that unit. It's all in 1 little neat package.
    As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I think I have the 33/78 player up and running. I just need to figure out how to out the platter back on.

I'll take some more pics in a few minutes.

12. 1940Zeffer

1940Zeffer Well-Known Member

Chk out Gary at VM music, he has new idlers for rim drive tables, which you will need. The first thing you must do is replace all the capacitors, especially
    the big silver cans, called electrolytic s, they rob power and make it hum, can melt transformers and such. You can get a modern ceramic cart to replace the old crystal job in there now, they all mount similar to our modern stuff 2 screws. It has 2 6v6 push pull output so it can sound pretty nice. The 45 changers are a pain to get right (at least my experience). Motors need cleaned, get all the stiff old grease out, use turbine oil..Have fun!! Ck out Antique Radio Forums • Index page they dont like audiophiles much ,but are aces on this stuff!

13. Vinyl Addict

Here's some pics of the underside of the 45 player (it just lifts right off the case) and the piece itself.
    You can see a wheel in there that has cracked rubber.

Check out the elaborate pulley system for the tuner (last pic).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  14. Vinyl Addict

More pics of the 45/tuner

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These pics show the idler wheel on the 33 player. I can figure out how to get the platter to slide past the idler wheel. The wheel is up tight against the plinth, so when I slide the platter on, it just sits on top of the wheel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Underside of platter

[​IMG]

15. The Idler wheel on your 33/78 player should be spring loaded. It appears to be in the 78 position. Try putting it into the 33 position, lower the turntable, simultaneously push the idler in and turn the turntable clockwise or counter-clockwise and the turntable should drop down. Make sure that the cycle gear in the chassis is turned to where the portion with no teeth is adjacent to the spindle so the drive gear in the center of the turntable doesn't get in the way of the turntable dropping down. Do I see oil on the drive belt? If so, it must be cleaned off. If the belt is in good shape, it may be glazed on the contact side and slip. Flip the belt inside out and that may help. If the idler is still pliable, but glazed, there are rubber rejuvenator chemical which can be used to remove the glazed rubber.
    You are probably going find that your cartridges on both TT's are bad. They can be replaced or rebuilt.

For your 45 changer, if you don't want to send your idler out for resurfacing, here is a new one:
    Idler wheel for RCA 45 RPM record changer | eBay

You are also going to want to replace the motor grommets, here is an example but you can probably find them at a hardware store:
    12 NEW MOTOR GROMMETS FOR RCA 45 RPM RECORD PLAYER--FREE FAST SHIPPING | eBay

Here is a cycle cam repair kit:
    CYCLE CAM KIT FOR RCA 45 PHONOGRAPH RECORD PLAYER rp190 ++ | eBay

Unless you are dead set on restoring this , maybe it would be a lot easier to just find a good used receiver and turntable. You might be better off.

16. Vinyl Addict

Well, I already have a vinyl rig, I just wanted to get this back to working condition. I'd be happy to get the 33 player back up and running at this point.
    Where can I find a replacement cart/stylus?
    The crackles coming out of the speaker are terrible, but I couldn't get any actual audio out of the speaker, so I'm not sure if something is burned out in the amp or what.

17. Vinyl Addict

Also, what's the best stuff to buy for spraying the pots, etc? Just contact cleaner? Can I use dielectric grease on all the connections?

18. Aerobat

Aerobat Forum Resident

Try vintagehifi.net, there's an RCA expert there and a wealth of help. It needs to be recapped and the record changers cleaned and lubed. Caig Deoxit D5 is what you want to use on switches and pots.

Alan G. and Vinyl Addict like this.
  19. Check out the links I already posted for you. I guarantee that you are going to have to go through the amp before you do anything else.

20. Vinyl Addict

Is dielectric grease OK to use on all the connections that plug in?

21. Aerobat

Aerobat Forum Resident

No, that's for spark plugs!

22. Vinyl Addict

I've used it on a lot more than spark plugs. It's good for keeping corrosion out.

23. Aerobat

Aerobat Forum Resident

A dielectric is an electric insulator. Why would you use it on an electrical connection?

24. Vinyl Addict

Some of the connections are somewhat corroded, I thought it may keep down on the same thing happening again. No harm, no foul, this is why I asked.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the vntagehifi.net, that looks like it will be a big help. Still waiting on a confirmation email so I can post though.

25. Aerobat

Aerobat Forum Resident

Beware, it's a hobby that sucks you in. I spent the morning refurbing a Heathkit vacuum tube voltmeter, and I'm not sure why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.