Reading / Researching more than listening ?lol

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audiolistener, Nov 29, 2022.

1. audiolistener

audiolistener i like vinyl and cds Thread Starter

So I do enjoy reading the forums and reading reviews. I have a passion for good bass, and beautiful music..

But I do have a confession, sometimes, i might spend more time reading about gear, than just enjoying it..

I have been hoarding different amps from thrift shops, so i have a bunch just chilling..

Then i find myself reading about stuff, while i have things just collecting dust..

anybody else in the same boat?

dolsey01 and The Pinhead like this.
  2. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

I tend to go through phases.

I will also get into modes where I will read and watch audio YouTube videos more than listen.

Sooner or later I will go back to listening very often. And who says spending more time reading about gear, is not enjoying it?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2022
    Lenny99 and dolsey01 like this.
  3. Freddy's Dead

Freddy's Dead Forum Resident

For me this is easy - I listen in my headphones almost every night (6 out of 7) between approx 10-11:30 and my loudspeakers whenever my wife is out of the house. So you won't find me here at those times but I will say that I have spent a lot of time researching pressings of different groups and enjoy this site - but it (nor youtube, etc. ) doesn't cost me any listening time either.

Lenny99 and Tim 2 like this.
  4. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I like to read and research different components.

When i first started into HiFi, it was difficult to enjoy, as I didn't understand much of what I read. But as I've become a little more knowledgeable, I understand and enjoy more of what what I read.

I'd estimate I spend about two to three times more reading about equipment than listening. However I think that percentage is a bit misleading. The times I listen, (appx five times a week for about an hour each session) is a special time.

The times I read or research is not better nor worse than listening. It's a different part of the hobby.

The Pinhead, Tim 2 and Harris11235 like this.
  5. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

I'm always fully engaged among other things. I have certain hours of the day I devote to reading about the subject, I use the wee hours of the morning to view YouTube videos and the hours of 8:00am - 11:00am every morning to listen to music no matter what.

timind and Lenny99 like this.
  6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Reading about music is like strolling past architecture.

Besides, if you do nothing but listen to music all day...how you gonna make time to suffer from the earworms....?

Lenny99 and The Pinhead like this.
  7. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

That and devoting too much money to kit rather than music. The two greatest dangers in HiFi. I am guilty of it but always try and make sure I come to my senses and get back to focusing on music!

8. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

My systems usually stay mainly the same for many years. Even though I just recently basically set up two new systems may main one is currently suffering a preamplifier situation that needs correcting. Once that’s accomplished I’ll be happy to just sit back and listen to music again and leave everything alone for the foreseeable future.
    All I really want to do is sit back and listen to music without futzing around. Although I do find hanging round here can be extremely entertaining.

Lenny99, The Pinhead and Tim 2 like this.
  9. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I do a lot of reading even previous or post listening to every record I have, let alone stereo equipment, even what is out of my reach or not in my buying plans. Nowt wrong with being curious and wanting to soak up all the info you need about anything.

Lenny99 likes this.
  10. The Pinhead

Please do share!

Khorn likes this.
  11. Khorn

Strange preamp noise incompatiblity with system but doesn’t seem to be tube related. Trying some very enlightening Solid State that’s more than surprisingly good. Have quite a bit more to look into and lots of people trying to figure it out. From what I and others have heard so far going back to an SS preamp is quite possible although I’ll really miss the unique SQ of the WE 6SN7 tubes

Extremely interesting yet very frustrating situation. I’m sure I’ll solve.
    This problem is opening up some really interesting discoveries and strangely will probably lead to superior SQ reproduction than my present situation. Sometimes the solution to problems lead to great things

bever70 and The Pinhead like this.
  12. The Pinhead

Tubes=trouble. I'm sure there' a superior SS solution for you. Keep us posted!

Khorn likes this.
  13. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Went through a phase like that a long time ago with videogames. Read and read about them but hardly ever played them. It's an odd behaviour, so I just dropped games completely. I sometimes get into the same rut with audio, and that's why I don't post as much anymore. I am purposely doing my hobbies rather than talking about them.

When I see the amount of time some folks spend on forums, I wonder just how much time they actually partake in the hobby itself. I guess the real hobby is social interaction, and maybe audio is simply a means to that end.

gakerty likes this.
  14. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

I went through a phase of reading lots of books on contract bridge , rather than playing the game. Nowadays i like to maintain a healthy balance. I do like to read articles on audio gear, but I'm pretty happy with what I have, my funds go on records and Habanos :)

15. Khorn

Yeah, the matching preamplifier to my power amp. The Alluxity preamp 2 seems perfect and has an advanced DAC streamer included but retailing in Canada for $16,000.00 seems a bit of a stretch but I might convince myself that I need to try it. :D

The Pinhead likes this.
  16. Lenny99

I agree.

You can learn a lot about issues when u work on a problem.

When I was 19 yrs old, my Dad gave me a car that had not ran for months. He told me if I could fix it, it was mine. So, I worked on it for a while and got it running. I had that car for 3 years in which time, I fixed almost every problem possible, keeping it on the road. When I sold it, it was still running. I sure learned a lot.

Khorn likes this.
  17. Tony Rees

Tony Rees Forum Resident

Reading about stuff ... and following people's audio related social interactions - is good exercise for the brain (plus entertainment of a certain kind). Often it prompts me to go back and try a few different things with my setup, or opens my mind to something else to look into - which then involves playing music, which takes me back to choosing what to listen to, including things I may not have heard for a while - or sometimes ever (if stuff came in some kind of bulk purchase along with things I really wanted), which is good for the heart as well. So I see the two as complementary.

timind and Lenny99 like this.
  18. Freddy's Dead

Freddy's Dead Forum Resident

Back to this one - as far as reading about gear - when I was unhappy with my speakers and sound, I spent a lot more time reading here, audiogon and searching. However, since I spent the time to find the sweet spot and have my speakers disappear - which also brought in the best bass I have heard from my system, I haven't spent much time at all in gear threads. I know there is always better but I'm finally VERY happy with my system. The only adds I'll be doing is possibly a bit more room treatment (which may only be plants, I bought a few last week) for mini-diffusion and maybe, just maybe I'll try a Puritan PSM 156 since they have a 45 day trial policy. But most of my time is spent reading about the best pressings.

19. The Pinhead

:yikes::yikes:Oh my! The khorns deserve it and so do you. Life is short. Go ahead if you can afford it.

Khorn likes this.
  20. Lenny99

I think when I've decided yo upgrade for any reason, I'll spend more time in research.

I also think most of us are looking for a better sound. Thus we are usually reading to keep up.

I have discovered inexpensive upgrades by reading audio mags or books. At times, this was a byproduct of reading.

The Pinhead likes this.
  21. Riktator

Riktator Surfer of the Audio Waves

Definitely guilty of reading/research vs. listening in the month of November. Since I picked up the Revels a year ago, I struggled with happy with the bass/need a sub. Then there is the Yamaha 5 disc CD changer that can occasionally lose its mind. When I decided that to add a sub-and I decided on a SVS SB-3000-I will be listening to something and the bass sounds amazing...so why spend the money? The CD player dilema comes down to not finding what I want yet. I have a couple of options in mind, but still looking. So why spend money until I know, right? All of this picked up steam with the Black Friday sales that start before and now go until the Monday after. I had items in the cart, ready to drop the hammer...and dumped them. I made it through the gauntlet without spending a dime on equipment, so I can switch back to listening more. Money saved? It will be put toward suspension upgrades on the motorcycle-no research necessary, already know what I want.

22. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

One leads to the other! Lots of new SAE 1000 cart owners here recently all listening to their new deal of the decade carts after reading about it!

23. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

thrill of the chase

Lenny99 likes this.
  24. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

You can combine both: read about gear WHILE listening music through other gear.

As to collecting dust - follow the rule to sell one piece of gear when you buy another. That way you can keep no more than two devices for the same function. At some point you will notice that new gear you bought is not really better than what you already have. So your system stays the same when other gear comes and goes.