Ready Or Not, Grateful Dead's unfinished studio album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TerpStation, Oct 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I am generally an advocate of late work, even not just the Dead but I'm intrigued by the late work of many artists I like, and I dislike when people dismiss it if it is different or even lesser than the prime stuff. I'm not sure why but I always feel like something important is happening when the greats age, and that elements of decline are often mixed with countervailing increases in soul or wisdom. I like all the Garcia songs on here a lot...but I have to admit I had a hard time with this, I need to brace myself for it or work harder to appreciate it. There's something offputting to me about the way they played after 1991, and I struggle to understand it.

2. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

I agree with this....Funny, I try to appreciate all eras of artists I follow and am intrigued by how instantly dismissive of latter works some are. To the point that I think many don’t even try. many of those that do spend significant effort to “compare” with the eras they prefer and explain why it’s not the same. I think they miss not only the point but also a lot of great music

3. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Here, I’ll help. This release is junk.

4. John D.

John D. Senior Member

You hit the nail on the head. I just don't like enough of these songs to purchase the LP, Samba in the Rain and Corrina are two songs I would be happy to never hear again.

5. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

How soon is too soon for:
    "Corrona - cough it up baby!"?

6. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Why? :confused:

7. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Too soon?

8. I actually like this release quite a bit more than I thought I would. *shrugs*

9. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

the KNACK did my corona

Vic_1957, US Blues and Rfreeman like this.
  10. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Seek out the "albumsthatneverwere" alternative. It includes the Phil songs and some better examples of the other songs. If you can enjoy the songs themselves its my go-to way to hear them.

11. I’m ok hearing this stuff in the context of a show - a better song is coming and I don’t mind 90s live Dead (i love all eras). Hearing these songs all together is just masochistic.

trd, track11 and John D. like this.
  12. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Yea, the thing is, these just seem to be a set of arbitrary performances, indifferently selected - no better than what any number of fans could have compiled.

Spadeygrove and bzfgt like this.
  13. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I've only played the CD once so far, but I quite thoroughly enjoyed it.

Full disclosure: I did not "tour" or in fact ever see the band live in this era (or any era, actually). Also, I rarely listen to '90s Grateful Dead. Therefore, I never built up the disgust and dislike of these tunes like many of you that were touring Deadheads and heard these tunes get in the way of your favorites night after night.

This felt fresh and different to me. Mature, middle-aged adult-contemporary rock, but done by the freaks that are the Grateful Dead means that it's not at all your typical MOR fare.

Frozensoda, trd, martinb4 and 6 others like this.
  14. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

Maybe you could add that song to your Beatles set list for Princeton. LOL :p

15. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Or add a verse about quarantine to Yer Blues

Vic_1957 likes this.
  16. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Your comments mirror my take. I quite like this release and still listen to it regularly.

ianuaditis and notesofachord like this.
  17. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I have even softened my stance on the artwork. It’s still very bad, but not quite as “throw up in my mouth” bad as my initial reaction was.

US Blues likes this.
  18. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Got postponed last year but now got a new date of 6-3-2021 :)

19. trd

trd Forum Resident

Someone on here pointed out that, from a design standpoint, it’s quite fitting for a project of half complete 90s tunes

uzn007, ianuaditis and Crispy Rob like this.
  20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Funny to have this thread resurface - we did 24 pages on this?

21. trd

trd Forum Resident

We’re a virile bunch

notesofachord and ianuaditis like this.
  22. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Is that virile or viral?
    :D

US Blues likes this.
  23. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Yes!

trd and dsdu like this.
  24. Vic_1957

Vic_1957 Forum Resident

Yeah I assumed as much. The 3rd. is on a Thurs. Too bad (for me) it wasn't rescheduled for a Sat. or Sunday. :shrug: I'm sure you all will do The Fab justice. :cool:

Rfreeman likes this.
  25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Thanks - Bustin my a$$ this weekend learning this guitar part for a cover of a cover we are including - hardest part of the show

Vic_1957, ronbow and PJayBe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.