Ready Or Not, Grateful Dead's unfinished studio album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TerpStation, Oct 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

It's like 1993 all over again! I'm willing to wager that the price will come down, at least on Amazon.

Guy Smiley and Dennis0675 like this.
  2. SM7609

SM7609 Forum Resident

I'm 1000% in, but I agree, that's a terrible cover. Bootleggers could have done better. Maybe it was done by one of the Dead's kids or something?

3. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Forget Amazon, it doesn't even make sense within their own store! It's $29.99 for the 3-CD Giants Stadium '91 set and $19.98 for the 2-CD Warfield set. This seems really weird.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Cash grab compilation with cheap and awful cover art.
    At least the 80s-90s people can't complain about this year :righton:

*edit

Nice to see the new Dave's Picks announced ->1973-03-24

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  5. TerpStation

TerpStation "Music's not for everyone." Thread Starter

"Cash grab?" what isn't with dead.net...Rhino that is...its all a cash grab.

6. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

This might be the worst cash grab in history.

jeffsab, uzn007 and wavethatflag like this.
  7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

And here's Dave raving about it for 12min :unhunh::whistle:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Doggiedogma likes this.
  8. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Wow, this is the most negative Dead thread I've ever read.

I think people are confusing bad songs with bad performances. Yes, we got sick of hearing some of these songs a lot back in the day, but there is a lot of great songs here that just never got strong performances.

The Other Ones version of "Corrina" from The Strange Remain was excellent. Proving that the song had a lot more potential than usually realized with the Dead. Actually, ditto that for "Easy Answers"... in fact, there is a GD version from 95 where Bruce sits in and "Easy Answers" already starts to jam a lot more than expected.

I think "Eternity" is also an excellent song, when it was performed well. I often listen to the 3/26/95 version. Like a lot of these songs, their development had grown by the 95 performances and you can hear where they were going to take off, but I think they get avoided because the 95 shows in general are not liked and that we already have negative connotations for these songs.

I will always stand by the fact that I think "Way to Go Home" was only hated so much because
    A) it was played so often (like every other show for a couple years, at least) and
    B) Deadhead's just seem to had trouble adapting to where the band was at the time. I always found it somewhat strange that Deadhead's could be so hateful.

"Samba in the Rain" suffered from NEVER being close to performed well. In fact, I suffered through researching ever version of this song ever performed and I don't think I ever found one where Jerry stayed in the right key for his solo. It's sad and very frustrating. The performances are all such a mess. But as a musician, I can hear how the Samba jam could have been a fun vehicle for a jamming & experimentation back in the day, but that just never happened. And yes, it was played too often. - Plus it just came WAY too late in the game to get a chance to be figured out. - And yes, the lyrics are intentionally trite. Hunter trying to create a party-fun song and I think with a band excited behind it, it would have worked. Yes, people would still hate it, but some people hate a lot of fun things in the Dead catalog.

The Jerry songs all seem to be well-liked, so I don't need to comment on them.

Phil songs suffer from the same thing most of the Phil songs since "Box of Rain" suffer from. Really interesting songs that could have been really cool and interesting, but were not the right vehicle for The Dead.

And incidentally, "Victim Or the Crime" is a fantastic song. Yes it's dissonant, but it's supposed to be! My personal pick for worst GD original would be "We Can Run". Not musically, but lyrically it sounds like a 7 year old wrote the lyrics! And I just can't get past that. I agree with the sentiment 100% and I appreciate the effort, but it just doesn't hold up in my book. Musically it's fine. It's not that great. And I like Brent, so I appreciate his singing, he just needed some different words! :)

Honestly, I think this batch of songs is stronger than the Built to Last songs as far as songwriting goes. I like Built to Last but I think there's much more variety & originality in the last 12 original GD written songs than on the group of songs for Built to Last.

I can't comment too much on the cover art. I'm not as particular about this. It looks like the kind of merchandise and posters and ads I used to see involving the Dead back in the 80's and 90's, trying to look 70's ish. I don't mind it.

piepants, ggergm, Hep Alien and 15 others like this.
  9. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Still sort of interested why Phil didn't want any of his songs included.

Boognish, piepants, Hep Alien and 3 others like this.
  10. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I’m fine with 91-95 Dead and ok with most of these songs. I’ll put on a full show and probably won’t skip much. But would I listen to this compilation? No.

Way to Go Home is a decent song.
    Samba in the Rain is not.

11. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

Same here.

12. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

"Way To Go Home" is pretty good. It would've been better as a 1st set song. It killed 2nd set momentum at times.........especially when played out of drums>space.

Crispy Rob, PhoffiFozz and warewolf95 like this.
  13. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

It'll probably be less on Amazon, though I'd much rather order from Dead.net (if I order at all)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

isn't everything that isn't offered for free a cash grab? silly term, imo

this isn't worse then JGB Shining Star release

[​IMG]

and is kind of in line with their silly backstage passes from that era

[​IMG]

15. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Fair point

16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

LP’s limited to 2,000. A few songs from shows I was at cut into wax? Sure, no problem. Grab my cash.

17. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

i actually like the point that was made to NOT include Hornsby. I think that Vince, when left to fend for himself, immersed himself in the music and integrated to much better effect then when he was tentatively dancing around Hornsbys bull in a china shop approach

18. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I'm totally in for this one. I've worn the corresponding disc of the "So Many Roads" set out.

19. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I wish the Hoffman Gorts would banish the term "Cash Grab"!
    Negative, unnecessary and usually not applicable.

Mazzy, ronbow and fishcane like this.
  20. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Great magic top hat cover art.

21. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Let me guess ... because of their unparalleled customer service?

22. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Oh, I'm totally in for this as well, terrible art notwithstanding. I think I still reserve the right to complain about a $20 single disc though, especially when that's so far removed from their standard price points.

PhoffiFozz and ronbow like this.
  23. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Cool beans yo

24. ivan_wemple

ivan_wemple Senior Member

Fo shizzle.

25. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

2000 for red/blue vinyl and I think black vinyl is 10000

Dennis0675 likes this.
Thread Status: