Reccomended Replacement for Teac/Esoteric P-10 CD Transport

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by moomoomoomoo, Feb 26, 2024.

1. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo Thread Starter

I love the sound of my mid 90's P-10. It needs repair. I just was told by Teac there are NO parts of any kind available. The one local shop that was willing to look at it is $200 per hour & a long drive. I suspect the problem was caused by a poor repair 3 years ago or so. The drawer won't open, though it will play the disc that's inside of it fine! I suspect it's either the belt, the clamp, or the drawer motor.

Any recommendations for a (hopefully under $1k) transport that would have similar sound (Not as bright as most transports, lots of detail & lots of bass)?

2. Dino Villani

Dino Villani Resident Senior Audiophile

I’m not familiar with that Esoteric model, but you say it’s a transport and generally transports don’t have a “sonic signature.” If it’s a transport, I think what you like may be your DAC. Just my opinion. Btw, Esoteric CD/SACD players are about the best you can get, so from that standpoint I can understand your attachment to it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2024
  3. hman

hman Forum Resident

You wan't to replace a $10k transport with a $1k transport. You call yourself an audiophile? You should be ashamed of yourself.

4. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

More than you want to spend but…..

Teac VRDS-701T

5. moomoomoomoo

It's a $2k in 1995 or so dollars. NOT $10k. I'm sad that I am getting criticized but no one has been able to answer the actual question. Digital gear of the same quality is quite a bit lower priced today than in the 90's. I'd love to just do this with my own ears, but that seems unlikely.

6. moomoomoomoo

In my experience, they do. I have several inexpensive cd players & an Oppo 95; none sound anywhere near as good as the Esoteric. The Oppo was the closest.

When I bought the P-10, It sounded significantly different than the other 2 Esoteric transports that were on the market in those days. It was the middle of the Esoteric line, & I greatly prefered it to the top of the line P-2.

7. hman

hman Forum Resident

I was making a joke. Best of luck in your search.

moops likes this.
  8. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

I'd test a Tascam RW900sx as a transport.

Professional grade CD recorder will have a very strong accurate laser.

It might be fun for it's other features

Same parent company the synergy might be there.

Can order off Amazon return if you don't like it after 2 weeks.

Its only $420

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  9. moomoomoomoo

I have a Tascam RW900sl. I'll have to check it out. It hasn't been powered up in years.

10. moomoomoomoo

The good news is after several years the 900 powered up & works. Until I get my McCormack amp back from the shop (a couple months) I won't be able to compare the cd stuck in the P10 to the 900. For right now with a backup stereo it will do the job. I am guessing that a $400 recorder won't equal a $2000 transport, but it works for now, thanks.

11. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

That's not always true...it only needs to deliver the digits....a huge margin of a $2000 cd transport are thing overbuilt structure and art.

There is a significant larger markup in audiophile equipment vs studio equipment...even with the same company.

12. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

13. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

There must be somebody who can service the transport. Have you tried doing it yourself? I have managed to fix a few transports of my own which have gotten cranky or have failed. If it's as simple as a belt then it cannot hurt to try.

14. belyin

belyin Valid Where Prohibited

Indeed, I wouldn't give up on it without at least trying to replace the belt.

scobb likes this.