Recent Musical Revelations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by trhunnicutt, Mar 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trhunnicutt

trhunnicutt Member Thread Starter

Just have to share some great music I've enjoyed recently. Not a peep about format. Just the music.

Jimmie Lee Robinson: .. All My Life. Great music, and better perfomance. Incredible detail and sense of space. The palpability of his singing and the harmonica is intense. True blues from an old master. Available on LP or Hybrid SACD. Listened on the 45RPM LP.

Ledisi: Soulsinger. CD only. Really funky, jazzy, neo-soul. Local SF Bay Area performer. Better, IMO, than the India Arie, and rivals Alicia Keys. More jazz soul flavored than R&B. But, oh, so rhythmic and funky. Insightful lyrics and incredible phrasing, especially the cut "Get Outta My Kitchen". Spiritually and emotionally uplifitng on the track "Take Time". It's a definite winner. She's even better live. What a show.

Anybody else with something I should check out? Always into experiencing new, different music.

TRH

2. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius

Yup, I could make a nice list of new releases for you, if you're into progressive hard rock or metal, guitar heroes, and the like.

3. trhunnicutt

Patrick M,

What would be your most recent favorite? And how did you get the thread to reference me and a quote from my post?

Tom H

4. Patrick M

Patrick M Subgenius

Dream Theater -- 6 Degrees of Inner Turbulence

Subject to change Tuesday when Jelly Jam (finally) comes out.

My favorite release of 2001 was Black Crowes -- Lions.

In answer to your question, use the "Quote" button at the bottom right of the post you want to respond to, or you can manually add the quote tags yourself.

5. trhunnicutt

Thanks for both. I'll check those titles out. Give the Ledisi a spin. You might like it. I kept trying to add the quotes using those vB code buttons and couldn't get it to reference the poster. [sound of hand hitting forehead] Duh.

6. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

versus

check out a band called VERSUS. i saw them a couple of weeks ago as part of SF's NOISE/POP festival and they absolutely blew me away. wonderful, short, power pop tunes with a wide dynamic range from two guitar, bass and drums with occasional keyboards and harmonies. i have two of their CDs; an EP, "afterglow" and a full length, "hurrah".

now that one of the members of the group has moved to SF and the rest of the band resides in NYC, it seems unlikely that VERSUS will record or tour anytime in the near future. they did play the "all tomorrow's parties" festival in LA/UK, and aside from a gig or two in NY, that's it. look for VERSUS spin-off bands WHYSALL LANE and +/- (pronounced "pluseminus"). highly recommended.

later, chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.