Recommend a <$1000 HDCD CD Player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Roland Stone, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member Thread Starter

With the pending release of the Audio Fidelity gold discs, which are HDCD-encoded, in addition to more HDCD discs in my collection that I thought, what are the recommended HDCD CD players or decoders still in production?

I'm not looking for hi-rez or DVD playback, though those would be bonuses. Because CD players do wear out, I'd probably pass on used equipment.

Any recommendations?

2. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

There's the NAD C542 that plays CDs and HDCDs. No DVD or hi-res. I have a NAD C521i and while it does not play HDCD, I really like it's redbook playback. They are no-frills redbook players and they're pretty solid.

I believe the C542 runs around $500.

3. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Rotel 1072 . I also have a Nad 541i which is pretty good. The Rotel sounds mighty nice at $700.

4. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

The Denon CDR-W1500 has HDCD and you can record CDs too. I use it for needle drops. The HDCD was an added bonus for me.

5. James RD

James RD Senior Member

The Cary 308 retails for $1500. Used at Audiogon for around $800. I am VERY happy with this player. :righton:

6. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Denon 3910 does SACD/DVD-A/HDCD, get one for around $900.

7. AudioEnz

AudioEnz Senior Member

The NAD 542 is an excellent CD player at its price. The Rotel 1072 should sound better, as it should at an increased price. Both sound better on CD than any universal player anywhere near the price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.