Recommend a true mono cartridge for a Dual 1219

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by j.barleycorn, Jan 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j.barleycorn

j.barleycorn Forum Resident Thread Starter

I want to set up my second turntable with a MM/ or high output MC mono cart. It's a restored Dual 1219 that I picked up about ten years ago. It doesn't see much use and currently has an AT 440MLa mounted. I recently acquired an extra Dual cart clip so I can swap out another cartridge.

I want to keep this under $200 for the cartridge. What would be a good match for that tonearm/ table? I plan to use the Dual in my regular rig and just swap out 'tables now and then for a mono binging. One thing I'm considering is the Grado ME+ but curious if these tend to produce Grado "hum" on Duals.

On the other hand, since my Audio Research SP6 preamp has a mono switch, will adding a dedicated mono cart to the chain improve the sound of my old mono LPs over my current playback system?

2. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

A stereo cartridge has output in both horizontal and vertical modulations. A mono cart has output in only the horizontal. Strapping the channels together with Y-cords eliminates the vertical component. Just hitting the mono button accomplishes the same thing. A mono record will play OK with a modern (0.7 mil) stylus, but for best results mono records need a 1.0 mil styus. That's for albums. 78's are a whole different ball game.

3. scotto

scotto Senior Member

We got a Dual 1229 to use as a second dedicated mono 'table and love the Grado MC+. I'm constantly amazed at what great sound we get from such an inexpensive cartridge. Since we wanted to be able to switch from playing LPs and 45s to 78s with minimum fuss, we use it and a Grado 78C mounted in their own sleds so we can just swap back and forth easily. Having used a Grado on my Rega 'table many years ago, I'm very familiar with the Grado hum, but have not had problems with the Dual.

j.barleycorn likes this.
  4. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The 1219's arm is low-mass, so a Grado sounds like a good choice.

j.barleycorn likes this.
  5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Grado may not be suitable as the Dual motor is not too well shielded. May be a hum problem. May work OK. Ortofon's OM mono option would be a compatible good choice as an alternative and low mass friendly.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  6. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

It's called OM D25M I believe.

7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Thanks for clarification for the benefit of our OP.

8. action pact

I haven't tried a Grado on a 1219, but they are perfectly quiet on a 1019. The thick platter probably helps shield the EMI.

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The 1019 motor was better shielded. They were much more overbuilt than later models. I still love Dual 1200 series models.

10. j.barleycorn

With more research I'm leaning to the Grado at this price point in a newer mono cart. Curious tho if there might be something vintage that will work, or are all of those too heavy for that tonearm?

11. Citroen

Citroen vinylholic

How about a Denon DL-102?

I use one on an SME3012r with great results.

12. action pact

Waaaay too heavy for the light 1219 arm, plus it requires a much higher-mass arm (like your SME 3012). I ran one on a massive Rek-O-Kut Model 160.

j.barleycorn likes this.
  13. action pact

I am not aware of any vintage options that will work, unless you're willing to go the route of mono-strapped stereo.

If you're willing to accept the latter, a good solution is something like a Shure M78S, which can also accept the N35X stylus for microgroove duty.

14. j.barleycorn

Also, don't the 102s track at around 6 grams?

15. action pact

3 grams is what Denon recommends.

16. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

I had a DL-102 mounted on my 1219 for a while (sold the table, kept the cartridge).
    Not the ideal arm match, but it sounded pretty good on my vintage vinyl, and tracked like a champ. I made a number of rips with it, think it is a great cartridge.

17. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

How were you able to get the Denon cartridge on the Dual without having the counterweight fall off the back of the tonearm? Also, how were you able to mount the wider cartridge body onto the Dual headshell? Thanks

18. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

Well, it was about 5 years ago, both the cartridge and the table have been moved along, but it was not that hard as I recall. I seem to recall it fit quite snug, see below.

[​IMG]

19. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

Thanks for the photo. I love the DL-102 cartridge but mine is sitting in storage. I've got a Dual 1225 that I want to get up to spec to use as a dedicated mono table, but the DL-102 is way too heavy for that arm and it was too wide to fit into the headshell. I was thinking an Ortofon D25M would do the trick but they are discontinued. Does anyone have experience with the 2M series? Ortofon has a mono offering in that lineup but I worry the cartridge body will be too wide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.