Recommend me an album similar to Ashra 'New Age of Earth'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi :wave:

When I was a kid, around 14 I think, my dad came with a CD bought on the second hand market ... it was love at first listen

Ever since, I've loved the record so much.

But over the years I haven't found another album in the same vein. Yet I've listened to a LOT of German electronica like Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Michael Hoenig, etc

Recommend me an album similar to Ashra 'New Age of Earth'. Full of lush synths, sonic landscapes, and a music that invites you to sit and listen through headphones with your eyes closed and your mind and heart travelling around other planets

Thank you!

[​IMG]

floydivision and Don Cooper like this.
  2. Don Cooper

Don Cooper Well-Known Member

I suggest you try 'It's About Time' by TONTO.

I have been a synth fan since the early Seventies and listened to/ saw live Tangerine Dream as early choice.Then Klaus Schulze etc. Bought Oxygene vinyl on holiday in UK and had to wait a week to return home and play on HiFi.

One day I ventured into our then-new Virgin Records store and spotted New Age of Earth and bought on day of release.No album has ever come close to the shimmering beauty of Manuel Gottsching's gorgeous creation-and I have owned and listened to myriads down the years. Except perhaps TD's Phaedra.

The TONTO album above can be found in various guises on cd, just trawl Discogs.If you want to sample try here:

Let me know how you get on.

ponkine likes this.
  3. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

Just listened to the song. One word: AMAZING

Thanks so much for the suggestion

:edthumbs:

4. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

5. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I love New Age of Earth. Like others have said, I was struck by its unique beauty but have never found anything quite like it.

L’Univers De La Mer by Dominique Guiot might appeal to fans of Ashra. It’s in a somewhat similar vein but also has touches of Mike Oldfield-style prog. Whether it scratches the same itch as Ashra or not, it’s definitely an album worth hearing.

ponkine likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.