Recommendations- Building a Benny Goodman Collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ponso1966, Mar 2, 2019.

1. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

The extended version with the tap dancing brothers (I forget their name)? Quite the contrasting versions!

2. ella_swings

ella_swings Forum Resident

The Nicholas Brothers.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  3. LeeP

LeeP Forum Resident

Into the 30’s and 40’s there was still a Tin Pan Alley influence. Song publishers still had sway and they would want their songs recorded and played by anyone and everyone. And, the songs were generally up for grabs. And, certain songs became so identified with a band after a point, the other bands steered clear. I believe Shaw had “In the Mood” first and even Goodman played it on the air, I have it. But, Miller cut it done, speed it up, and did the fade out trick, and then it became his.

misterjones likes this.
  4. ella_swings

Ah yes, that’s quite true about the publishers. Forgot that angle. I have an insanely slow version of In the Mood by Shaw. Insanely slow.

5. misterjones

We - or at least I, who came of age during the singer-songwriter period - have this view that the true artist must perform his own work. I find it interesting that folk singers in the early 1960s wrote original songs and claimed they were (say) old Scottish folk ballads they discovered. Most people probably would say, if they had any view of the matter, that Benny Goodman wrote Sing Sing Sing or at least arranged it himself.

6. LeeP

LeeP Forum Resident

Yep, I’ve read that was the original tempo and it was longer.

7. LeeP

LeeP Forum Resident

Yea, totally different thing then. The leaders and musicians that cared tried to make a “silk purse out of a sow’s ear.” “Sing, Sing, Sing” counts in that effort.

8. ella_swings

I always wondered why Goodman and/or his sidemen didn't get some writing credit for the longer version of Sing. My guess has been since the extension of the song was based on the melody and was improvised, it didn't count. But those were the days when people did a lot of work and got shafted for it, so maybe were it done today he and they would get credit. The original Prima tune cut by Fletcher Henderson is quite short and goes right into the vocals. Goodman's evolved version is so different it would make sense he and his sidemen get some credit. Hell, when Sinatra changed one word he'd get co-writing credit!

9. LeeP

LeeP Forum Resident

Well, they actually combined 2 songs. Prima’s “Sing, Sing, Sing” with Waller and Razaf’s, “Christopher Columbus.” I have seen the Goodman version listed as “Sing, Sing, Sing, Interpolation "Christopher Columbus" or “Sing, Sing, Sing Introduction Christopher Columbus.” I think they knew they couldn’t take writing credit. Goodman did put his name on some of the sextet pieces “Flying Home” along with Hampton, and probably it was mostly Hampton’s idea.

10. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

LOL!! Jello Voiced crooners!! That's a great one! and I for one cannot listen to those guys, the voices just really drive me nuts. But in all era's of music the industry always seems to push popular music that is 'ultra safe' and homogenized. Nothing new there.
    Beave

misterjones likes this.
  11. The Beave

Safe Music! Indeed it sells. Until Hip Hop came around!! LOL!
    Beave

12. The Beave

Hello All!

Just wanted to give a Kudo’s Shout Out to Member Brad, who turned me onto the Mosaic Capitol Jazz Box Set!

Great Member and a nice Fellow also.

So come Monday, I’ll be able to knock another one off my ‘want list’.

Beave

misterjones likes this.
  13. misterjones

Actually, I like Tex Beneke’s singing. I wish he didn’t have those lame back-up singers behind him.

14. misterjones

I got that in LP format a few years back ($100 for 19 LPs - not bad). I need to listen to it again.

15. The Beave

Some of those Mosaic Vinyl boxes are really rare and desirable. I'm happy for you to have one, there's one on ebay now going for $1700.00 for the LP set.
    Now he's never going to get that price but you never know.
    And a lot if not all Mosaic Vinyl was pressed using Virgin vinyl, multimeter Complete Keynote 21.l.p. box!
    Beave

16. misterjones

I had the chance to get the complete Commodore recordings (all three volumes) from the same seller for $250. Too much for me. Hard enough to lift the Capitol jazz set! Also, way too many alternate takes for my tastes. I went with seven of the individual Commodore LPs for about $20 (same seller). I can’t recall if those were issued before or after the Mosaic box. Before, I think. For some reason, about that time it seemed few were buying Mosaic sets. I bought the Benny Goodman Capitol small group sessions LPs new at list price from a seller affiliated with a Mosaic, who was selling lots of Mosaic LPs and CDs (very low numbers - my Goodman is 0003). Not a lot of people were biting.

17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That was a very rare occurrence. Notably: “I’m a Fool to Want You” in 1951 (for which Sinatra’s credit was the idea of the songwriters). He only received co-credit for seven songs in his lifetime, and on at least one of those, he actually had a hand in writing the lyrics (“This Love of Mine” in 1941).

See this SFF thread: Did Mr. Sinatra ever write one of his hits?

18. The Beave

Now that's very interesting!
    But you know, it kinda makes some sense as In this present day I keep forgetting that the LP was dying around that time. So there would have been an overlap of them slowing the Vinyl box productions and ramping up the cd box productions.

And I realize that a box with 19 or 20 or 21 lp's inside is kinda overkill but listen, That's an Instant Library of a Jazz labels complete output, Pressed on audiophile vinyl. It's absolute madness that you can find something like this, in mint shape for 1-$200 when AP is selling Audiophile LP's for $34.00 for a Single one!!

So I realize these things aren't Dave Brubecks Time Out lp's that you just whip out to have a martini with. But with all the Public Domain Garbage To have these Library Boxes, from choice sources on Audiophile vinyl, is indeed, to me a Huge Blessing.
    Beave

19. ella_swings

Ha! I wondered if someone would complain about that statement.

Bob F likes this.
  20. misterjones

We’re talking April-June 2016. I also got the Benny Goodman Columbia/Okeh CD set at that time for $110 when it was out of print waiting for a repress. I’m not really sure why there would have been such a Mosaic lull at that time.

21. misterjones

I was surprised to see Billy Joel give credit to his band for the arrangements of his songs on an LP jacket back in the 1970s. I had never seen that before, and I don't think I ever saw it since. It always seemed that the "star" took all of the song writing credit as though he personally scored the instrumentation himself like Fletcher Henderson or Mozart.

22. ella_swings

I've read for official copyright, the copied passage has to be eight bars or more. Not sure if that's completely accurate and I know the family of Marvin Gaye aggressively went after some hip-hop artist recently (and lost, I think). Very generous of Joel to do that.

23. misterjones

I believe it’s a legal rule of thumb arising out of the George Harrison case (My Sweet Lord / He’s So Fine).

24. The Beave

25. misterjones

Is that Lionel Hampton bleating like a goat on the quartet recordings? It’s the only part of the set I don’t like.