Recommendations for expanding my ambient collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Paradiddle, Jan 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buckyball

Buckyball Forum Resident

Unmastered means what you have is what the mix engineer created before the mix was sent to the mastering engineer. It wouldn't make sense to "remaster" an album that has never been released before :).

2. aaronfirebrand

aaronfirebrand Well-Known Member

I wasn't referring to remastering, just wondering why an "unmastered" recording would be used. I thought a recording had to be mastered for release in any medium. If this promo was used to demo the release, wouldn't it be mastered, as I assume the actual release was?

:wave:

3. Buckyball

Buckyball Forum Resident

In the world of digital recording anyone can burn a CD that is a digital copy of the master mix. It might very well be that a copy of the CD you have is what was sent to whoever mastered the album for its original release. A mastering engineer, when given a mix like that, would frequently apply EQ and compression and adjust the volume of the different tracks on the album. He might also assemble all sorts of meta-data that gets encoded on the commercial CD along with the audio. The word "master" gets used in a lot of confusingly dissimilar ways in audio engineering terminology. I don't think I've ever seen the word "unremastered" used anywhere but on this forum, though. :)

4. pick-me-up

pick-me-up Straight shooter from S/FI

This is a great sampler of lovely stuff: Night Music – Best of AD Music volume 5.
    Ambient, but perhaps in a little easier form than most of it.
    I believe this company has done many other compilations as well.

5. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

This is a great thread. I am woefully out of touch with ambient - I have a good bit of Brian Eno, and bought Aphex Twin's volumes 1 and 2 as well as other titles here and there, but I have been anxious to learn more about this music, as well as looping, in the hopes of getting involved myself.

One artist I have enjoyed that I first heard on the "Echoes" radio show with John Diliberto ( http://www.echoes.org ) is Magic Sound Fabric. I especially enjoy the album Freedom Star. Here's a link with samples: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/msf3 These track do have beats, but I find the music very involving...

synthfreek and the others who've gone to the trouble of making samples available - thank you for this overview :wave:

6. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

I noticed I could create an Ambient "station" in Pandora just by typing Ambient and saving it as a genre station. Pretty cool

7. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Future Sound of London - Kiss 100 FM Transmissions from 1993 are amazing and can be downloaded from their offial site http://www.yage.co.uk/digitalpodroom.html

£3 or $5 for 3 hours you won't regret (can pay by paypal and actual download speed is about 1000Kbps so doesn't take forever)

8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Here are two KILLER compilations of tracks from Pete Namlook and his amazing Fax label. Two 2CD sets for a little over $20. These usually go for more...they set their Buy It Now price a bit low.

Fax Compilation 1
    Fax Compilation 2

9. Synthfreek

10. Synthfreek

HERE is a track I just finished if anyone wants to take a listen. Get comfortable...it's almost 13 minutes long.

11. TopForty

TopForty Active Member

I agree with Frank. I'm excited about this thread, as I am a big fan of this music.

You may want to check out Brad Miller and Mystic Moods Orchestra. Brad Miller pioneered the field of ambient music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVVabA954Hc

12. Zanth

Zanth Senior Member

May I introduce you all to Alex of www.ambient-nights.org

I discovered Alex circa 1997, just when he really started mixing and releasing online. In 2001, just at the height of Napster, he was releasing his mixes and folks were eating them up. His site still goes on and the VIP section provides quite a bit benefits just as direct downloads, high rez art etc. I've been a member since the very beginning.

All of his releases are completely free and he properly references all artists etc.

Just about every album listed in this thread has tracks or parts of tracks in one or another of Alex's mixes. For true pure ambient, stick with his solar system series. For something with a bit more drum and bass, check out his Ambient Nights series. His Ethnic series relates a story of a single character and it mixes wonderful Boards of Canadaesque tunes with a hint of Middle Eastern flair a la Dead Can Dance. Then for those that want to dance it up on a Saturday night rather than absorb waves and waves of music, his Club series will have the house shaking in no time.

Jimijam likes this.
  13. aaronfirebrand

Marconi Union's Distance has already been mentioned, and now that I've listened to MU's latest, A Lost Connection, I can definitely recommend that one. I may like it better than Distance, it's very musical, and I can see it getting a lot of play.

14. jimbags

jimbags Forum Resident

15. Aluko

Aluko Forum Resident

Great thread. I've been enjoying many of the recommendations for many years.

Here's some of my favorites of the genre:

Woob - Woob 1194
    Very hard to find...on the Instinct label. I remember reading Option magazine in the early to mid 90's and reading reviews for great ambient releases. Instinct put out quite a few.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiqMG3ED5A0

Cabaret Voltaire - The Conversation
    Not industrial, purely ambient. Another great Instinct release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smBMKcdfxwc

Pablo's Eye - You Love Chinese Food
    1995 Extreme label release. Lighter ambient without the spookiness found in some of the genre.

Tor Lundvall - Ice
    Hard to find in the single disc version. But a box set was recently released of four of his cds including Ice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKvAWGpuUaM&feature=related

I have a lot more in my collection. I know what I'll be doing tonight...

16. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Another vote for Aphex Twin's Selected Ambient Works Vol.2 -- it's a very mimimal album, but quite epic at the same time... probably my favourite ambient record ever. :righton:

Music Has the Right to Children by the Boards of Canada is a close second.
    :)

17. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

18. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

19. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

Do u consider Narada Lotus label as ambient ?

i would then add ppl like Tingstad Rumbel or David Lanz

20. aaronfirebrand

This has been fun, checking out new recommendations and trashing my budget. I've picked up several mentioned here---The Caretaker (wish I could find Stairway To The Stars), Black Swan, Global Communication, Variant, Ulrich Schnauss, Subsurfing, Brock Van Wey/Bvdub, Djen Ajakan Shean---and I appreciate the quality of these recommendations. I received a CD today from Italy that no one's mentioned here. I'm really impressed with Three Organic Experiences by Aglaia so far. One listen and it's already among my favorites of the genre. Has anyone else heard this album?

Woob 1194 is something I'd like to get...any sonic differences between the original em:t release and the Instinct re-issue?

:wave:

21. zeno333

zeno333 New Member

The group Carbon Based Lifeforms for electronic ambient... particularly "Hydroponic Garden".

22. Aluko

Aluko Forum Resident

Woob 1194 is something I'd like to get...any sonic differences between the original em:t release and the Instinct re-issue?

I only know the Instinct reissue.

23. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

How difficult to find are Basinski's Disintegration Loops CDs? They're not listed at all on Amazon....

24. aaronfirebrand

25. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

Try looking at Forced Exposure: http://www.forcedexposure.com/artists/basinski.william.html ... all four are listed @ $13 each. In fact I may just have to order 'em myself.

--Geoff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.