Recommended record shops in New York City

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by englandmademe, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. englandmademe

englandmademe Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm off to New York soon for the first time in 20 years :) and I was looking for some advice for 'must visit' record shops.

If Manhattan is anything like London I imagine there has been quite a few chains and lots of independents close over the last 10 years – in London there is now only one chain – HMV – and a lot fewer independent record shops.

Anyway, what are the big chains where I can pick up stuff cheap, and where will I find great shops like 'Zulu Records' in Vancouver where I'm likely to find interesting rarities and used CDs?

I should say that I don't really buy vinyl, just CDs.

Any help would be much appreciated! :thumbsup:

2. jazdoc

jazdoc Forum Resident

Tropicalia In Furs: http://www.tropicaliainfurs.com/. Great music store with fun selection of brazilian music. Look up YouTube of 'a day at Tropicalia in Furs' to get a feel for the vibe

3. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

JR music on Park Row, City Hall. Great selection, great prices,cds,vinyl,dvds, 3 floors.
    I do all my shopping there.

JR.com

4. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

NYC is really down to one major record store selling new CDs - J&R Music World near the Brooklyn Bridge.

(I see Joe beat me to it.)

5. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

For used, check out Academy Records on 18th street (decent classical CD selection) or better yet, head over to Penn Station and jump on the NJ Transit to the Princeton Record Exchange - the best used CD shop I have ever been to.

6. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

If you're interested in a unique and bizarre digging experience, I recommend "The Thing" in Brooklyn.

7. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

8. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Bleecker Bob's is still worth a visit. It has more than its share of overpriced wall items, but a lot of decent stuff for reasonable prices too.

9. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

Other Music, Sound Fix (Williamsburg)

10. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

If you like jazz, the Jazz Record Center is a great store to visit.

11. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

For used CDs, I do Academy on 18th (as mentioned above...though there are also locations I've never been to on the lower East side of Manhattan, and in Williamsburg Brooklyn), Sounds on St. Marks Place and Tunes in Hoboken.

For new, it's J&R or nothing...and that's not necessarily a bad thing. They rock.

12. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Umm, I used to live in Princeton. While it's a fine store it is hardly worth the hour on the train, plus Dinky ride into town. Unless you have some other reason to be in Princeton (which admitedly is very nice this time of year).

13. George P

George P Notable Member

I go about 6 times a year and each time I come home with over $200 worth of rare, ridiculously cheap CDs. That's after editing down my overflowing basket of finds.

14. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

J&R Music World, Bleecker St. Records, Norman's Sound
    And Vision.....in that order.

15. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

There's also an Academy at 415 E. 12th Street in the east village that has used vinyl other than classical- lots of great jazz and rock, among other genres. A great store with good prices.

16. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

the PREX has really gone downhill in the last several years. the vinyl selection was cut by about 60%, and since I'm no longer a student, it's not really worth the two hour drive.

CD selection is ok but certainly no better than any used CD shop in NYC

17. George P

George P Notable Member

Where in NYC do you find the same selection as PREX?

18. George P

George P Notable Member

I keep hearing about that one. Do they sell CDs too or just records? Also, what Avenues are they between?

19. motionoftheocean

Generation, Bleecker St Records, Kim's, Academy, Other Music to name a few.

20. George P

George P Notable Member

None of those have nearly the volume that PREX does, certainly not in used CDs.

21. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Is that the one near The Strand? If so, be forewarned, the guy there likes to set the prices as he goes along based on how much he thinks he can get out of you. I once made the mistake of revealing to him that I knew a fair bit about an album I wanted to buy that he had clearly never heard of, and he asked for a ridiculously high price for it. I went back years later and he still had the album in stock (probably the exact same copy, though I can't be sure).

22. motionoftheocean

Pretty sure you're thinking of Second Hand Rosie and the shop is a total rip-off. Everything is priced at least 50% higher than it should be.

23. George P

George P Notable Member

No, that's a different store, but I agree about that shop. I went a few times and never returned.

:agree:

24. motionoftheocean

you've never been to Academy yet you know what their CD volume is?

regardless, if you move around several shops in the city, you'll find the same selection as (and many cases, priced better that) the Record Exchange. plus bouncing around NYC shops doesn't require a 2 hour drive into Jersey.

25. George P

George P Notable Member

I've been to their location that sells CDs (18th street) hundreds of times. The location mentioned up thread doesn't sell CDs. The OP said he only buys CDs.

Now that I think about this, you are absolutely 100% correct. I don't know what I was thinking. There is no need for anyone in the New York City area to go to the Princeton record exchange. There are plenty of great shops still thriving in New York City and the joy of schlepping around this great city only makes the process more of a pleasure. I repeat, there is no need for anyone in the New York City area to go to the Princeton Record Exchange.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.