Record Clamp For Rega P3-24

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by johnnypaddock, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member Thread Starter

I've done some basic reading on record clamps but don't know too much about them in general. The reason I'm considering one is for slightly warped records. Even if a record plays well with no surface noise, any warping drives me nuts. I understand that some record clamps can help with this.

I've got a Rega P3-24 with the stock sub-platter. I plan on getting a Groovetracer at some point down the road as well. I'm guessing that because it's got a longer spindle, I should probably wait until I have that installed before buying a record clamp.

Any suggestions or thoughts on what I should be looking out for? Also, do you find that clamps have a noticeable effect on the sound? I also wondered if it might affect the speed, but from what I've read that is not an issue. I might only use it for slightly warped records in general, but I'm curious to know what others think.

2. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Rega Rega Rega!

johnny, a couple of things:

1) The Groovetracer upgrade is a very worthwhile upgrade. Just improves the total sound of the Rega.

2) if you want an idea what a record clamp will do, go to your local sporting goods store and buy a rubber hockey puck. Drill a hole dead center thats shorter than your spindle. Note: start with a very shallow hole, and keep checking until the puck lies flat on a record.

3) Put a record on the Rega, and place the puck on the spindle. You now have a record clamp for 2.99.

4) I just bought a Rega RP1 to use as my second table. Cant wait to hear how that puppy sounds!!

3. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Seems to me that any added weight might compromise the motor and associated speed. If Rega didn't design the 'table with a xx-ounce weight in mind, why use one?

4. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

Good morning Joe:

I have a Rega Planar 2 modified with several Groovetracer products including the aforementioned sub-platter. As you know, the stock spindle is too short to accommodate many, if not all, of the clamps available today (Other members may wish to make comment if they know anything to the contrary). Therefore if a clamp is a "must have", then you will most likely need to swap out the stock part. The longer spindle on the Groovetracer sub-platter enabled me to purchase a Mitchell Clamp. I will tell you that my choice for the Mitchell clamp was dictated solely by budget constraints. I purchased it online for a very attractive price. The Delrin puck slides down over the spindle and a clockwise twist of the knurled knob compresses the clamp's aluminum sleeve against the sides of the spindle.
    The clamp is effective in reducing the warp in a record only if the cup of the warp is facing down on the platter. If the cup is facing away from the platter, or if the warp is on the outer edge of the disc, then the clamp does nothing more than lock the disc to the platter. VPI has an effective way of addressing that problem with their Periphery Ring Clamp.
    I have never noticed any speed variations with the clamp in place. As for affecting the sound, I think that anything you do to modify the source will affect the sound one way or another.
    Do I regret putting several modifications into my Rega? Absolutely not:
    1) I have done nothing that cannot be removed and take me back to the stock table (and thereby not affecting the resale value).
    2) More importantly, I have no intention on doing so because my table sounds awesome.
    Good luck with yours.

Steve

Modifications:
    Groovetracer Sub-platter
    Groovetracer Counterweight
    Expressimo End Stub
    Herbies Platter Mat
    Mitchell Record Clamp
    Swapped out stock 10mm glass platter for a 12mm glass platter

[​IMG]

5. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Souther Clever Clamp is cheap, super light, effective and what's been recommended with Regas. I occasionally use mine. You do not want to use any medium or heavy weight clamps on a Rega because of the motor.

6. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

There's a Michell clamp designed for Rega turntables -

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/73938

I've tried clamps and have not seen an appreciable flattening effect on warps. The warps are out in the groove area and the clamp is in the label area.

7. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Generally, clamp+felt mat is not a winning combination. Agreed, it can fix one side of a dished record, and hold the other side still (if you're experiencing rocking when playing that side.. it happens) but it affects the way the record itself resonates by holding it more rigidly. I'm ambivalent about clamping even where it's designed in (I once rebuilt a whole platter to hold a disk rigid and use a clamp; different but not necessarily better than a mat)

8. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated as always. The only reason I was considering one is because I've heard that they can "flatten out" records. If they really don't do that so well, I will just hold off. I'm not really looking to use one as a sonic tweak. Next upgrade in that dept. is going to be the sub-platter and then they TTPSU.

Thanks again.

- Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.