Record Cleaning

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ronflugelguy, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek Thread Starter

I own a VPI 16.5, and I am very happy with the job it does. I use the VPI fluid and have yet to experiment with others. Ihave heard the disc doctor is good, are there any others? I do agree that you need two separate brushes for used and new records. but owning a cleaning machine really opens up new music to you for low expense.

2. Andy

Andy New Member

Do you use the standard VPI fluid?

3. Ronflugelguy

Andy, yes at this point, I use VPI fluid. I bought a gallon when I purchased the machine. Any feedback on other fluids would be greatly appreciated. My experience with new lps is that I don't clean them unless I see a need to or hear noise, as sometimes they have come out worse after cleaning. more ticks and pops.

4. Andy

Andy New Member

I haven’t made the plunge into machine cleaning yet. I use disc doctor fluid on most of my records. I have also found that some records have more noise after a cleaning. The sound comes out better but there is also more vinyl noise. I’ve also tried last power cleaner fluid with the old discwasher brush. I haven’t decided how I like that combo yet.

5. Ronflugelguy

Yes , Machine cleaning will make real dirty records much more playable. But also I have found that a second cleaning will help clear things up. As for jvc supervinyl, I try to keep them off the machine whenever possible.

6. Kevin Korom

Kevin Korom New Member

I find the Disc Doctor cleaner to be awesome! It's cleaned stuff I thought would never quiet down. I had been using VPI's cleaner (manually) and recently tried out the DD. I'm sold on it.

I'd love to have a record cleaner, but until I can swing it, the DD stuff works for me...

7. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Ya know, I was finding this too, but only on some records ... Just this weekend, I cleaned and played Side 1 of my newly arrived Classic Songs for Beginners LP by Graham Nash, and I heard what I thought was an undue amount of noise between cuts for a brand-new audiophile LP.

I remembered reading in a Michael Fremer column on Disc Doctor products in Stereophile that not rinsing well enough with distilled water can result in extra snap crackle & pop. So I recleaned the record and this time really made sure I scrubbed just as firmly with the water as I had done with the fluid.

When I put the record back on the turntable, it was DEAD quiet. I was quite relieved ... I always do two rinse cycles but I realized I don't always scrub as hard during those as I do with the fluid ... Now I know that's what I have to do for best results.

8. Ronflugelguy

Thanks Jeff.:)

9. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

10. trhunnicutt

trhunnicutt Member

I also have the 16.5. Started with just the VPI fluid and 1 gallon purified water.

I have since begun to mix about 12 oz of 100% Isopropyl alcohol to the mix.

This new mix works much better than just the standard solution form VPI.

You may want to give it a shot.

What a great machine...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.