Record Doctor V

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Victor Martell, May 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just got a Record Doctor V - gave it a whirl using the provided brush and cleaning fluid - however found some info re: what to use with it... so just checking out what you think...

1) Cleaning Fluid

Came with a small bottle of cleaning fluid - the Record Doctor RxLP solution - seems to do the job and would be happy just to buy it again. However know people that use the MoFi Super Record Wash Super Record Wash - Anyone else has compared the two? Stick with RxLP or go for MoFi?

2) Brush

The RDV came with a brush it seemed rough, but, well took it on faith - Cleaned quite a few records with it and it seemed ok - did not notice any scratches or anything on the cleaned records. Again, friends recommended MoFi - this time the Wet/Dry record cleaning brush Record Cleaning Brush . Again anyone else ditched the included brush for this? How well does it clean?

Thanks !

v

pressureworld and CCrider92 like this.
  2. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I use the Nitty Gritty brush - been using them for 15 years; for fluid I use Nitty Gritty Pure 2 also for 15 years.

hi_watt and Jim in Houston like this.
  3. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

I find the RD fluid to work well and it is cheaper than the brand name fluids.

I agree the supplied brush is cheap. I bought a MoFi brush which works great.

Also recommend getting the larger roller bearing for under the platter from KAB as it is much larger and stabilizes the platter.

waaguirr and zombiemodernist like this.
  4. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

5. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

You may have done what my friend did, and pulled the wrong cover off the supplied brush. There are two sides to the brush, one side is rough and meant to clean the felt "lips" over the slot, the other is felt and meant to apply the fluid.

pressureworld likes this.
  6. Victor Martell

oh s**t - now that was dumb - I just noticed is two sided - MFak - I think I was just lucky I did not scratch my records...

v

7. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

It's something they could add to the printed instructions.

pressureworld and macster like this.
  8. jphabc54

jphabc54 Forum Resident

Yes -- important to note the double headed brush. The felt brush for actually cleaning the records has been great, but probably getting ready for replacement after a few hundred cleans.

For fluid, the supplied RD stuff is good. I now use distilled water mixed with a couple drops of Tergikleen. Not noticing a huge difference between the two.

9. Paopawdecarabao

Paopawdecarabao Forum Resident

Record Doctor V or VinylBug anyone? Which of the two do you guys prefer?

10. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

All of these are what I use, so I can cosign this working well for the few hundred albums I've cleaned.

As for MoFi fluids, keep in mind they are surfactant free. Personally I wouldn't mess with this type of fluid on the RDV, due to the flip and vac nature of the machine. When flipping the record, these types of solutions tend to drift across the surface and cause a mess. This even happens with distilled water on the RDV, which I why I have largely bypassed any distilled water rinsing, preferring to stick to the RDV solution.

11. Victor Martell

Wonderful - that is the advice I am looking for - I was not aware of that. Thnx!

v

Nephrodoc likes this.
  12. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

I prefer Mofi brushes, they work really good and are not expensive. For fluid, the easiest to use was AI#6 for a one step fluid. AI fluid layers nicely and does not bead up like the Mofi fluid does, this makes it easy to use with the record doctor. I never liked Mofi super record wash, I wound up using it as a rinse because it did not work that well as a cleaner.
    For those dirty records you can let the AI#6 soak for a few minutes, just don't let it evaporate.
    Recently I have been using Vinyl Zyme Gold which is my new favorite fluid next to AI#6.

macster and zombiemodernist like this.
  13. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

I’ve only used the VinylBug. I prefer that it vacuums from the top so there is no flipping.

14. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

I love the RD-V! Afte I used up all the solution it came with I switched to AIVS #6. I use a MOFI brush for the wash and use the RD-V brush for the rinse cycle. I feel like the MOFI gets in the grooves better. Plus the pads are replaceable.

macster likes this.
  15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

mofi black T brush for sure but I prefer the Record Doctor cleaning fluid.

16. Paopawdecarabao

Hopefully RDV gets a sale this memorial weekend lol

17. classicrocker

Good luck with that wish as they can't get much cheaper for what you get!

18. Paopawdecarabao

I'm just hoping even like ebay bucks would be good enough for me.

classicrocker likes this.
  19. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

How long does it take to clean a record with one of these, from taking out of the sleeve to putting in in a new sleeve?

20. classicrocker

Based on my experience with my Record Doctor V, about 5 minutes once you get the hang of it.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    lazydawg58 likes this.
  21. lazydawg58

Thanks for the response. It takes me 5-7 minutes to clean records manually, using a brush basin, vacuum, rinse basin, vacuum process. Basically 3 records while one side plays on the turntable.

22. classicrocker

Once you set the machine up it is basically the same routine.
    1. Squirt liquid on side 1
    2. Scrub in both direction several turns.
    3. Flip over and vacuum several turns in each direction
    4. Flip over and repeat steps 1-3.
    5. Give the LP several pulls with a Zerostat gun to eliminate static if you have one.
    6. Slip into new MoFi sleeve and into record outer sleeve and you are done.
    Should take 5 minutes give or take IMO even with a rinse step after step 4.

Maybe even less once you get a routine down.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  23. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

After you get into the groove of the routine it'll take less than 5 minutes top to bottom. In 15 years of using an RD I've never once rinsed.

classicrocker likes this.
  24. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

I love the RD5. I've done at least 200 cleans and my stick on strips are still perfect. I also love the RD cleaning brush. It doesn't waste nearly as much fluid as the Mofi brush. It also spreads fluid very evenly. My Mofi brush rarely gets used, unless a record is really filthy. For solution, I use VPI fluid with a bit of Iso alcohol added.

lazydawg58 and CCrider92 like this.
  25. lazydawg58

While I don't have a RD, when I clean using basins I've found that the two steps that make the most difference have been adding the vacuum steps and the rinse basin. I can't compare apples to apples but I just finished play grading all the records I had cleaned without the rinsing step and started play grading the records that included the rinse step. I'm observing that more records seem to be playing cleaner than before.

CCrider92 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.