Record shops in and around Troy Michigan

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Dave D, Aug 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave D

Dave D Done! Thread Starter

Anyone know of any good record stores around Troy? Going there soon.

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

What are you shopping for? We'd have different recommendations based on new CD or hi-res vs. used LPs and CDs. ;) Troy is close enough to Birmingham and Royal Oak that it might help with the selection. I know the only two remaining Harmony House locations are on Woodward (one's all classical, the other carries everything else). Solo Records (used LPs, CDs) is somewhere in Royal Oak. (Used to be on Woodward years ago, but I don't go up that way anymore.) Tower is recently gone from Birmingham. May be a Barnes & Noble and/or Border's in the area.

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

4. Dave D

Vinyl. Older stuff.

5. -=Rudy=-

OK, let's see...I'll comment on stores I've actually visited, since I'm familiar with their selection.

Close to Troy is Solo Records, on Woodward between 12 and 13 mile. They used to have a good vinyl selection, a dollar bin, and CDs as well. Not the best, but their heart's in the right place. :) They used to be in Birmingham but have moved south to a larger building, so I hope this is a good sign. :)
    Address: 30118 Woodward Ave, Royal Oak, MI 48073
    Phone: (248) 549-0581

Out on the east side (out I-696) on Gratiot Ave. (pronounced "grash-it" for out of towners ;) ) is Melodies & Memories, between 9 and 10 Mile Rds., west side of the street. They have a double storefront and used to have a ton of vinyl, with one small room dedicated to numerous bargain bins and memorabilia (including old metal lunch boxes). Prices were very decent last time I visited, which was about five years ago.
    Address: 23013 Gratiot Ave, Eastpointe, MI 48021
    Phone: (586) 774-8480

Also on the east side is Car City Records. I really don't recommend it anymore, since I haven't been there in six years and the former owner tells me they are hanging on by a shoestring (no lease, occupying one building with empty floor space, only one or two employees, etc....not good). They used to occupy two buildings and stocked mostly vinyl--it used to be excellent. They're on Harper between Vernier and 9 Mile Rd., east side of the street.
    Address: 21918 Harper Ave, St Clair Shores, MI 48080
    Phone: (586) 775-4770

The east side would be east of where you're going to be...best bet is I-696 to Gratiot and then head further east on one of the Mile Rds. to get to Harper (if you want to bother with Car City). Probably would be a 20-25 minute trek from Troy if you came down I-75 to I-696 or, if on Woodward, just jumping on I-696 at the Detroit Zoo.

The link Ken provided also shows a store further north on Gratiot (Hot Hits, Inc.), but I've never been there, and it seems to be mainly punk/rap. Likewise, I've been to a Desirable Discs location (Garden City, actually) and was far from impressed by the lousy vinyl selection they had. Dearborn Music downtown in Dearborn (Michigan Ave.) claims to carry vinyl, but from the looks of the store, they probably only have a few bins.

In the complete opposite direction is Ann Arbor. That's a bit of a haul, maybe 45 minutes west, going out I-696 west to I-275 south, to M-14 west. Encore Recordings might be worth the trip, as they are PACKED with vinyl and STACKED with CDs, and don't forget to open the wood drawers beneath the bins for even more LP goodies. 45s are in cardboard file boxes, and they even have reel tapes and 78s around the place. I just hit a few bins when I visit, and easily kill an hour or more. :D I've also known the owner (Peter Dale) from when he owned Car City back in the 80s.
    Address: 417 E Liberty St, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
    Phone: (734) 662-6776

Another is PJ's in Ann Arbor, which is a little more pricey than Encore but is "the" other vinyl shop in town. I've actually never visited, but it does tempt me. :) It's a bit difficult to find, but it is on an odd-shaped triangular block bordered by Packard and State St., located on the second floor.
    Address: 617 Packard St # B, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
    Phone: (734) 663-3441

Wazoo is on State Street and carries only CDs...they were phasing out vinyl when I visited about a decade ago, but for all I know, they could have started carrying it again.
    Address: 336 1/2 S State St, Ann Arbor, MI 48104
    Phone: (734) 761-8686

In Ann Arbor, Schoolkids Records is gone. They did not carry used, but they had a great sections and a lot of imports. Discount Records is also down on State Street but they were also just a new CD dealer...last time I bought there was the late 80s, so I don't know if they carry a full line anymore or specialize in certain types of music.

I may think of more later...gotta run for the kid's soccer practice. ;)

6. Dave D

Thanks Rudy!

7. Ken_McAlinden

Good news: The East Dearborn location had a huge vinyl selection while the Garden City location only dabbled by comparison. Bad news: The Dearborn location went the way of the dodo last year. :(

Stormy Records actually moved into the old Desirable Discs Dearborn location on Michigan Avenue. they have some interesting vinyl, but not so much that I would drive from Troy to browse through it.

Encore Records in Ann Arbor was where they shot most of the footage of record shoppers being asked if they knew who played the instruments on the Motown recordings from the beginning of "Standing in the Shadows of Motown". I would drive an hour out of my way and put up with Ann Arbor parking for that place.

Regards,

8. -=Rudy=-

At least with Encore, you can hit the big parking garage behind Border's (which is huge compared to their satellite stores, IMHO). Plus, when you're done shopping and have a few bucks left, there are good eats along Main Street--a lot of variety. I enjoy the authentic Irish pub, Conor O'Neill's, or BD's Mongolian BBQ. On the south end of Main St. near the restaurants is another city parking garage, behind Palio's. Parking rates in the garages are cheap, and I believe they're still free on Sunday.

Dave--when are you hitting town?

9. Frodis

Frodis New Member

If you make it north to Flint, Musical Memories is an old favorite. Nothing but vinyl!! Both Lp's and 45's.

10. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Rarebird in Flint is a lot of fun too, but if you've seen what they've got there once, you've pretty much seen it for good. They don't seem to have moved much inventory, or gotten much stuff in since the 90's. I think the place has become more of a retirement hangout for the owner than anything else

On the other hand, I haven't been there since I started collecting Julie London last year, I'm kind of curious what he's got from her there. He's got a great selection of older (50's through 70's) comedy albums, and lots of soundtracks as well. Worth a stop one way or the other.

11. Dave D

After school starts...maybe the second week.

12. -=Rudy=-

Are there many vinyl shops up there? I usually take a day trip up to Birch Run to stock up on a few things...I would not be opposed to taking a detour into Flint for some vinyl pickin'. :D

FWIW, I just drove past a shop called "Rock Of Ages" on Ford Rd. in either Westland or Garden City this evening. I don't recall if that is the shop I went into one time or not.

13. Frodis

Frodis New Member

Just Musical Memories (on Dort Hwy) and Rarebird (on Richland Rd). I think they're worth the stop. I believe Rarebird keeps bankers hours so you'll want to hit them early. Musical Memories is owned by a rock disc jockey I used to listen to on the radio in the 70's and 80's. He finally got tired of the BS and opened his own store. The real American Dream!!

Let me know if you need directions to either one.

14. hamburgerpimp

hamburgerpimp New Member

Does anyone know if the Record Exchanges in Southfield and Ann Arbor still exist?

15. Ken_McAlinden

It's on the other side of Ford Road and a mile or two down from where the Garden City Desirable Discs used to be (before they had a fire :eek: ).

Regards,

16. -=Rudy=-

I remember being in both of those now--I'd made a trip down there one evening when I had time to kill. I think Desirable Discs was right near Middlebelt, where (I kid you not) Kitty's Chop Suey is just around the corner...an endless source of jokes around the house these days. ;)

17. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Hey Rudy-

I actually know where some of these places are! I still have family out that way(Pontiac and Fenton), but I used to have more family in St Clair Shores(right off 12 Mile between I-94 and Little Mack) going back a few years.

I actually haven't been out there in almost 10 years though. Last time I bought ANY music out there(Jefferson Starship- Spitfire) was Korvettes at 12 Mile and Gratiot?. I used to party at some club (part of hotel) on Gratiot just north of 12 Mile- but that was over 25 years ago!

Is that shopping complex still there(where Korvettes was)?

Chris

18. -=Rudy=-

Omigawd...Korvette's? Maaaan, does that date a person! :D I bought a few records there when I was younger (pre-teen years), and Dad used to take all of his film there to get developed. Also bought my first stereo there too...a little avocado green GE with cube-shaped speakers. :) There is still a shopping center there, with an Outback Steakhouse on the outlot. Service Merchandise was in Korvette's spot until they went out of business, and now it's some other retailer as the anchor. Maybe TJ Maxx or someone like that. Haven't been over that way in awhile.

My ex's father grew up just off of Harper Ave. north of 12 Mile, which is right near that same area you had family in. I wonder if that club in the hotel was part of the Georgian Inn, where the L-Bow Room restaurant used to be located.

I live in Canton but grew up in Warren, 12/Hoover area. In fact, I'm just about ready (within days) to sell the house I grew up in.

19. -=Rudy=-

:thumbsup: Probably won't get up there until later in September, after the holiday at any rate. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.