Record Store Day 2014 - Saturday 19th April

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Colors Live is getting pressed. And I still want an affordable copy of Colors (not live) :rolleyes:

No standout "must haves" for me, at least not yet. But I always kill the used bins that day so who knows.

Edit: now after seeing that video posted above, I found my first must have. Nice narration, Chris! Tell us a bit more about this?

thepluralofvinyl likes this.
  2. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Really though, I don't see how you could release a Ron Jeremy novelty record and not have it be a 12". Just sayin'.

3. CJH79

CJH79 Well-Known Member

RPM Turntable Football. Pretty simple concept. A two player game of football. Both sides have 5 different parallel grooves, each containing entertaining audio commentary describing a football play. Could be a touchdown...could be a turnover. The packaging also comes with a score card to keep track of points.

This is a RSD exclusive in a limited run. The record itself is astro-turf green.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    thepluralofvinyl likes this.
  4. glide

glide Forum Resident

Anyone know what the Neil Young releases will be?

Young, Neil Official Release Series Discs 5-8 (4LP 180g Box)

5. CJH79

CJH79 Well-Known Member

I really hope that it's Time Fades Away, On The Beach, Tonight's the Night, & Zuma. But I could see Time Fades Away getting nixed & have American Stars N' Bars as the 4th. I really hope Time Fades Away gets released, though.

footlooseman likes this.
  6. You do that, and what are you going to press The Many Moods of John C. Holmes on? One of those 16" discs used by radio stations way back when?

7. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

8. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Very cool, very cool. I didn't understand the concept fully at first, thought we might need to buy a red one and a blue one.... Took me a while to remember these things have two sides :biglaugh:

It's neat that this novelty record concept is being brought back in this day and age, and in a new way. There used to be things like horse racing discs, fortune tellers, etc. but I've never come across any in person. So this is on my list for sure. Was this your idea, and are you involved with putting it out or having it pressed?

9. mycroft

mycroft Forum Resident

According to this blog, NY mentioned back in 2009 that Official Release Series vol. 2 would include Time Fades Away II.
    http://www.rusted-moon.com/2014/02/Neil-Young-Boxset-5-8-2014.html
    (Sorry about referring to a non-english blog. Please apply Google translate or trust me :)).

10. mycroft

mycroft Forum Resident

... of course they could be misquoting the 2009 interview NY to Guitar World, where he said that Archives vol. 2 would include TFA II.

11. Laibach

Laibach Forum Resident

Quite excited and looking forward to this year's RSD there's a couple of LP box sets that I'll be purchasing for sure.

I don't remember having such an interest in RSD products, since at least 2011 that I've been keeping track of the event, but this year is certainly different.

The reason maybe that in past RSDs none of my favourite artists put out products that I judged interesting enough to make the splurge.

12. I bought that recently via a 3rd party Amazon seller for $24 shipped to my door. I'm actually really enjoying it, one disc at a time.

13. danner

danner Forum Resident

It still bugs me that they wouldn't just cut a stereo fold-down to vinyl. Then again, gimmicks are sort of the Flaming Lips' forte.

jpmosu likes this.
  14. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

The Flaming Lips posted a picture of a test press of this year's RSD release. It said "35 pcs." on the label so people started speculating that they were going to release some insane 35xLP box set of their 24-hour-long song (if you do the math, that actually works out perfectly to ~20 minutes per side on 35 LPs). They later confirmed it was just an edited version of the 24-hour song on a single LP. They simply ordered 35 test pressings. Still, I almost believed they'd do something that stupid.

15. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

Yes. If they'd have done an LP with everything together, stores wouldn't still be sitting on them!

16. tomd

tomd Senior Member

can you summarize what they said (as far as what albums box will contain) in English?

17. CJH79

CJH79 Well-Known Member

It was the brainchild of mine & a good friend. I cut master lacquers on a VMS-70 Neumann lathe at a studio in Nashville called Welcome To 1979. The project originated as an exercise in pushing the machine to do something it wasn't initially intended to do, and the idea spawned into a really fun game to play, so we decided to share it with the world as a RSD release. Enjoy it!

thepluralofvinyl and MrRom92 like this.
  18. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Wow, very impressed. Surprised this was even do-able on a Vms-70, I had assumed all these modern day trick cuts (parallel grooves, reverse cuts, etc.) were being done on old Prestos and Scullys. In any case, very cool idea that I'm glad to see actually come to fruition, and I can't wait to get it. Thanks so much for all the info. :righton:

19. thepluralofvinyl

thepluralofvinyl Forum Resident

So far, I'm in for the Lemonheads, Elastica, maybe the Ramones EP (price dependent), and of coarse the football game. On a side note, RSD has and always will be the third Saturday in April and like my birthday, it'll sometimes fall on Easter weekend. Deal with it.

20. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

wow. This is gearing up to be the BEST record store day ever! By a longshot!

21. mycroft

mycroft Forum Resident

I can try..
    The blog mentions Time Fades Away, and that NY has called it the worst album in his career, due to the tension between the musicians on the tour of that time.
    Then it says that NY in a 2009 interview that vol. 2 would contain TFA II, where tracks with Johnny Barbata on drums would be replaced by tracks from a later point of the tour with Kenny Buttrey on drums. But nothing official yet.

22. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i'll be all over the next neil young box.

23. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

This RSD is shaping up to be an expensive one for me. I'm hoping to pick up the Lily Allen, Garbage and Julie Ruin 7-inches, as well as the Elastica reissue, and the Neil Young and Dinosaur Jr. box sets.

I'm also extremely curious about the Veruca Salt 10" that's listed and wonder if it will include some of the new material they've been recording.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    levi likes this.
  24. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Possibly the first time in history that someone has complained there wasn't enough Doors Greatest Hits compilations.

Brudy and Buda like this.
  25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

For the uninitiated (Ive mostly ignored these threads) can someone explain the attraction of RSD? Sorry to sound so ignorant but is it mostly kind of a promo items type deal? Rarities, that type thing?

Im mainly interested in getting great masterings of music I enjoy. Are there unique/better masterings to be found on titles on RSD?

Also, dont a lot of the items (Neil Young boxset, LCD Soundsystem box, the Miles mono stuff [yes I know that was last go round]) end up being pressed in quantities for general sale?

Hip me to this RSD thing.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.