Record Store Day 2021 - 12 June and July 17 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Dec 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

I can't believe that the Small Faces is one of the few that everyone wants, and can't seem to find.
    I still wonder why it's so in demand?
    It was the only thing I really wanted, and the friend that bought it, said they saw a few copies and no one in the store seemed even slightly interested.

Now if I can just get the LAMF , I'd be done!

popscene and Greenalishi like this.
  2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes I'm totally fine with Gris Gris outtakes too. Anything Dr. John in that era is very interesting.
    I remember the Funknology comp but failed to pick it up, thanks for the remainder.

Greenalishi likes this.
  3. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

I like it a lot. Packaging in the same style / concept as vol. 1. Filled to the rafters with songs. Excellent / informative liner notes. A few well known selections but most are (very) obscure. I think the sound quality is very decent. Sometimes you can hear that the recordings are sourced from an LP or most likely a rare 45. But you could say that that is a good thing because it might indicate that no digital noise reduction (or whatever it's called) has been applied. If you liked vol. 1 i expect that you will be happy that you snagged vol. 2. Enjoy the tunes!

4. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Byrdland Records had copies of Small Faces last night. Check them out.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  5. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Anyone grab Hall and Oates Voices? Truly analog? Any info on who handled the mastering?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  6. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

It really does. You would expect it to be bright and fatiguing, but it is not at all. You can crank it up.

mooseman and Saint Johnny like this.
  7. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

Final purchase for RSD Drop #2 '21 - Heartbreakers L.A.M.F.

Snagged one of the Bull Moose copies leftover from the weekend. I've never had BM cancel an order before but I will feel better when I get the "package shipped" message.

Final haul:
    • Dee Gees / Foo Fighters Hail Satin
    • CSNY - Deja Vu Alternate
    • Weird Al 3" - Beat the Brat
    • Donna Summer - Bad Girls
    • Heartbreakers - L.A.M.F.
    • Cro-Mags - The Age of Quarrel
    • Bill Evans - Behind the Dikes
    • St. Vincent - Piggy/Sad But True
    • Willie Nelson American Outlaw Live
    • Small Faces - Complete Greatest Hits

8. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I just had this conversation with my wife. I've been to multiple people's homes who were selling records out of their garages and there were plenty of this title for $5 (excellent shape). That's within the past month.

johnnybrum, Erik B. and DTK like this.
  9. Johnny Rock N' Roll

Johnny Rock N' Roll Forum Resident

It would be nice if this clear demand for the album would lead to a proper, readily available release.

I'd like one, but I'm not paying $50 for the cheapest copy presently on discogs. I have the CD anyway.

10. pglbook

pglbook Forum Resident

Bull Moose Records has the Cat Stevens lp available for sale on its website. I just ordered a copy. It looks like it is the orange vinyl version.

11. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

I was able to track down Hillbillies In Hell for a decent price on eBay. Hopefully Sweet Platinum Rare comes down a bit. I’d like to get the three Monkees releases, but we’ll see.

12. pglbook

pglbook Forum Resident

Thank you. I was able to get a copy (at list price) a couple of weeks ago on discogs. It is an excellent release: very good pressing and sound quality and the music is great. The packaging is also very well done. I wish it were a gatefold for 2lps but that is a minor issue. It has a great booklet (with perhaps the best liner notes I have ever read), a reproduction of the program that appeared in the original lp, etc. They did a great job with this one. I highly recommend it.

acemachine26 likes this.
  13. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Am I the only one here who was stoked for the Magma 10" of Magma 7"s?

Saint Johnny and DapperGentleman like this.
  14. popscene

popscene Senior Member

I grabbed the last copy of the Small Faces LP at Amoeba in Berkeley, and walked around contemplating for a while. I mean, how many times over do I really need all these songs?? After listening to it, with the punchy, exciting mono mixes of all of those brilliant singles, I have no regrets.

15. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident

Cool, I ordered it too along with Frank Foster's Loud Minority, another great jazz reissue (70's big band protest music). Pretty much the only RSD titles I was interested in.

oldjollymon likes this.
  16. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Hindsight is always 20/20, and I never would have called this in advance (I was like "Three stores have this in stock, this will be in a piece of cake!").

In retrospect, though, I'm not that surprised. I've only been paying attention to RSD for a few years, but it seems like there's often one or two releases from the 60s -- often mono, often blues or blues-rock -- that are popular and hard to find. I'm thinking Yardbirds, Pink Floyd Piper mono, Steppenwolf mono, Albert King mono, etc. This seems to be a similar case.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  17. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

What's odd to me about the Small Faces is that the big box that included two autographs, including Kenney's, was around for quite a while with no buying frenzy.

Saint Johnny and Munros1969 like this.
  18. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

Just received my shipping confirmation :pineapple:. Bull Moose never lets me down.

JeffMo, Rocketdog and Saint Johnny like this.
  19. jstarboy

jstarboy Well-Known Member

Slept on Bill Evans and now I can't resist - anyone have any leads on any online stores that still have it in stock? Thanks so much.

20. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

You're surprised that a single-LP "best of" collection for RSD is more popular than a four-CD box set? I don't think these things are scarce because they're selling to hardcore fans; they're selling to 60s rock fans who like the Small Faces and maybe haven't thought about them in a while, but who are open to the idea of buying a single-disc, well-curated Greatest Hits collection.

marcb and Gavaxeman like this.
  21. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

this is rsd, logic has no place

22. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

i'm always nervous when i order a hard to get item, waiting on my cro-mags to ship. passed it up 2 other places this weekend since i didnt need 2.

lamf i'm assuming should be around in another week

Saint Johnny likes this.
  23. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

Argy's in Winnipeg has one listed with a mark on the cover argy.ca They also have Hillbillies in Hell for whoever was looking for that. Not sure how much it would cost to ship to US from Canada though.

jstarboy likes this.
  24. jstarboy

jstarboy Well-Known Member

Was able to find one on Monster Music's (South Carolina) site, marked up a bit to $79.99. I think I got the last one as the record is no longer displayed. Good luck to those still looking.

25. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

Curious if anyone else picked up William Tyler’s ‘New Vanitas’; great lp but crappy pressing— vinyl looks ‘cloudy’, it’s noisy, and one track has a skip! Back to my Merge boycott.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.