Record Store Day 2021 - 12 June and July 17 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jimod99, Dec 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deathproof13

deathproof13 Well-Known Member

Has there been any "rumors" yet? Is there a thread dedicated to that yet?

2. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips? Thread Starter

It's a bit early for that!

3. David Hughes

David Hughes Forum Resident

From my reliable source at UMG USA but applies to U.K. too, non RSD & RSD bits

Abbey Road 1/2 speed remaster of McCartney Ram LP, non-RSD but out around that time but TBC

The Police - Live! 2x 2xLP sets (vol.1 and vol.2) for RSD. Vol 1 live in Boston (Regatta tour). Vol 2 live in Atlanta (Synchronicity tour).

Elton John, Tears For Fears and Rolling Stones RSD titles coming

The Who box is being moved to April/May to coincide with a new documentary on The Who coming out

Paul Weller new album announced next week (non RSD Obvs!)

all confirmed (begrudgingly) by our Universal Rep

4. David Hughes

Our Warner rep says highly likely will end up being two dates this year. June is set in stone whatever happens...if lockdown still in place the three options from last year will come into play again (socially distanced queues/online after 6pm etc) but July too is a serious option but no way will be three dates again

smaller labels have confirmed another LRS, in September this year

Chris Bernhardt, eddiel and Sean like this.
  5. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

More to do with production. There's a big back up at the pressing plants for both new releases and represses.

iloveguitars, J_D__ and hi_watt like this.
  6. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Comeback Vinyl in Alpharetta GA, is the little shop breaking all the rules. 80% of their business is new vinyl, only vinyl no CD’s. By working social media they are doing phenomenal business. It’s not unusual to see a line of folks waiting to get in Friday through Sunday (they have stringent social distancing policies).
    The secret to their success? Well stocked and truly personalized service. None of that typical snottiness found in shops and they remember you as a person not just a customer.

7. David Hughes

That’s how I’ve turned my shop round in the U.K., COVID (as horrible as it is) has actually benefitted us, we’ve gone from guesstimating new releases to a core 1000+ people buying new vinyl releases on social media from us. Before lockdown #1 we had 250+ on our Facebook page,
    Thats quadrupled the last year (but I still treat everyone as a person & remember their wants) & running it from home has allowed me to add new preorders onto the page minutes after the set up emails from our reps. Anything limited I agree a max quantity with whichever rep upfront so in the last year ive never let even one person down. I go into the shop midweek to post ebay orders & then we do click+collect 10-12 Saturday mornings (socially distanced) while also posting out any pre orders that can’t be collected. I get everyone to pay on a Friday evening so all the orders are laid in time for Saturday and we pay all the distro invoices immediately now (within 3 days usually) so our credit limits are through the roof! Compared to maybe 12 months ago when we were 3 days away from being taken to court by universal for owing them £3000!!! The ERA want me to do a talk on how to turn businesses around LOL

I do my best for everyone and while we don’t reserve longer than the forthcoming weekend anymore (part of what was crippling us last year, people leaving things reserved for weeks on end, way past when we’d have to settle the invoices, frustrating as they wouldn’t do it to HMV!) I’ll do my best to accommodate people...a guy who’s become a regular had ordered new weezer & foo fighters but had only got money for one till the following week, save him two lots of postage he paid for foos and I sent both and he paid for weezer the following week. Personal touch where possible

8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I wonder if post lockdown they might keep two dates? As a store owner would you prefer to smaller events vs one big large one?

Congrats on the success by the way. It's good to hear a positive story during these times.

9. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

Highlight for me would be the triple live Ariana Grande live album from her 2019 'Sweetener' tour, which was planned for RSD 2020 but it got delayed. Hopefully, this document of C21's pre-eminent live performer will be ready in time for June - ideally packaged with a DVD, although that might contravene RSD's curiously antiquated 'vinyl only' policy?

My god is a woman.

Marc Perman likes this.
  10. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

I never had much interest prior to last year. Love going to shops and... records, but the crowds, many strange releases left me uninterested. That said I quite enjoyed it all last year. Thought there was lots of interesting and worthwhile records and it was a nice distraction. All the shops in Toronto seemed to appreciate it more this year and sold lots of stuff. Look forward to it this year.

11. BradB

BradB Birth.Music.Death?

Hello and thanks for this tidbit, any info at all from your source if The Police - Live sets received the Abbey Road half-speed mastering treatment like the albums? I was pleasantly surprised by the remaster on the newest CD box set and hope the same will be done for these particular recordings. The SACD set does sound really good but it'd be handy to have an updated CD version.

12. David Hughes

The impression I got was july was being held in reserve ‘if needed’. Personally I’d prefer one big one as last year’s drops #2 & #3 were both underwhelming AND more stressful (at the same time!) than drop #1.

That was because
    1. All the best stuff was packed into drop #1
    and
    2. Figures for all 3 drops were sent back at the same time (except universal who did it monty by month so we could react) so we couldn’t react when people were saying “are you getting X in for drop #2/3?” About stuff that we hadn’t bothered ordering due to lack of intialinterest.

and thanks for the kind words :)

mBen989, eddiel, Sean and 1 other person like this.
  13. David Hughes

I’ll ask the question

14. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

and here we go...

15. hfarrior3

hfarrior3 Worst pressing ever ...

Here's hoping to more artisanal poured colored vinyl

16. David Hughes

PM’d you re: THE POLICE

17. David Hughes

Reply from universal is (question I asked was is it coming this RSD after being postponed last one)

“Not too sure on the Ariana's future. Apparently there were problems with the audio that she didn't like.”

18. astro70

astro70 Forum Resident

By June, it’s likely that most of the adult population in the US that wants to be vaccinated will be, so hopefully this date sticks! I’m optimistic.

ODShowtime and hi_watt like this.
  19. David Hughes

the June date will happen whatever, it’s set in stone, see my post above. July Is an extra date if required

it’s all very well saying everyone will be vaccinated by then but it’s still debatable how confident people will be going out and mixing straight away surely?

hi_watt and DementedAvenger like this.
  20. David Hughes

Also more RSD tidbits

Also RSD LP from Elton John, recreating what would have been his debut album in 1968 but was shelved "Regimental Sgt Zippo"

Tracks were on the last box set but they've apparently either found the original artwork or creating it from the original concept

Neil Barrett, Sean, JamesRR and 2 others like this.
  21. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I heard there will be one or two quality releases that flippers will love and scores of items that will languish on record store shelves for years.

22. David Hughes

And this negativity re: RSD Is why I haven’t posted on here for 3 years & kinda regret coming back

23. David Hughes

Tears For Fears is the reissue of the Live from Massey Hall promo LP that was only issued in Canada, from Songs from the Big Chair tour.

24. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Nah man, stay. We appreciate your updates big time! This gives me hope.

C'mon people, we need positivity to start this year and RSD in June is what gives me some semblance of sanity with seeing old friends and also support our local shops.

25. Muffinbutt

Muffinbutt Forum Resident

I like the updates. I am guessing the RSD 2021 list won’t be reveled until next month probably? Maybe even later?

imail724 and davenav like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.