Record Store Day Black Friday 2019: Info + Rumors

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ElevateMeLater, Sep 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Exactly

2. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

This.

Grow Fins likes this.
  3. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

I was thinking the same. Could it be the store is getting more of the original 13k? I heard of this for RSD2019. Actually I noticed it this BF as well. Our local store received some Chuck Berry London several days after.

Tom Campbell likes this.
  4. JRose

JRose Forum Resident

Technically the Patsy Cline was a RSF First so they were completely upfront about the fact that it was going to be repressed.
    I'm still lamenting over the fact that I had my hands on a colored Patsy Cline 3LP Sweet Dreams and passed it up :shake::cussing::mudscrying:

chacha likes this.
  5. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

When is Patsy Cline going to release her next LP? Haven’t heard much new stuff.

.crystalised. likes this.
  6. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident

Yeah, my Record Store Day source is a chain store in a mall. So far as I can make out, they sell mostly t-shirts, scrunchies, and coffee mugs. Records off to the side.

There's no way I would brave going there on the day after Thanksgiving if I thought I could just pick up what I wanted later. I didn't stand in line waiting for the place to open, but I certainly sat in parking-garage traffic. The mall is a nasty place, and frankly I don't patronize this chain store much during the year.

I regularly go to my favored spot that sells only used records, and it doesn't participate in Record Store Day.

7. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I think her new album should be out next year. She started working on an album with Jack White but that stalled for some reason. So, as you would figure, Dan Auerbach stepped in to produce some tracks but Patsy didn't like the distorted vocals schtick. Now I hear that Taylor Swift is helping her out with a batch of new songs. Ed Sheeran is going to guest on it!
    :--)

Francisx likes this.
  8. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

That's a very fair point. I suppose the same thing happening with the Jeff Tweedy record from RSD19 made me rate this as quite plausible.

Again, I would fully agree for just about any repress or reissue. I don't mind if something is more valuable or not. What I do find objectionable is people advertising something as a strictly limited exclusive, charging extra because of this... and then reissuing the same thing straight after. That is what the RSD First category was intended for. The Exclusive category was meant to be strictly RSD-only - so if I pony up for one of those, I am a bit ticked off if it's re-released later on after having spent time and money based on the assumption that it wouldn't.

I think the Resonance releases are the perfect example of how the two can be combined: a limited Exclusive LP, and an unlimited CD release later on. Everyone can enjoy the music, the Exclusive is limited to RSD. Otherwise I rate the Neil Young example, with Decade being RSD-first (with some extra prints thrown in), and then released more generally later.

Erik B. likes this.
  9. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Yes.

RSD is what it is, and by this time everyone (stores and customers) knows how it works. A bunch of titles (the vast majority of which are digitally sourced) are released in limited quantities, often less than actual demand, at higher-than-normal prices. This manufactured scarcity and the perceptions (not all of which are real/accurate) associated with it create the buzz and the lines and the waking up early in the morning and the big sales on that day. By this time, the higher percentage of bad pressings is baked into the process: if you're still getting up to stand in line, you have found a way to live with this. From a store perspective, you know that the margins on these things are slim and you know that you probably won't get all of what you want to order, and probably will get a good deal of what you don't. But provided that you know how to run your business when more than a dozen customers are in the store at the same time (and it's kind of scary how some places don't), you also know that you're going to sell a lot of records on RSD, and see an uptick in sales of non-RSD things as well. So, if you participate, you know what you are getting into.

But make no mistake about it, it's the pledge made by the RSD organizers that the Exclusives are ONE TIME ONLY pressings in limited quantities that drives this whole thing. If companies start re-pressing RSD titles, IMO it's a disaster. It's completely unfair to every customer who waited in a line on that day to buy the thing in the first place. If it was not for the one-time-only limited quantities aspect, nearly all RSD Exclusives become no different from the thousands of other titles that are released every week of the year.

Debate the efficacy of RSD all you want; criticize it for overpricing poor pressing quality all you want; ridicule it as an event as much for internet entrepreneurs as music fans all you want. Those are legit criticisms based on what RSD actually is. But allowing RSD to lie to its customers and violate its own rules - really the ONLY rule, IMO, that makes the whole day possible? That's totally unfair and it would destroy the whole thing. And even if one supports the whole thing being destroyed or radically altered, that's still no reason to support thousands of people who played by the rules to be conned.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Erik B. and Jgirar01 like this.
  10. Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons ___________________

Personally I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. I still have the record, so I guess I don’t care beyond that. I made the choice to go out, I made the choice to pay that amount. I got what I wanted at the time with the information I was provided at that time.

frogfog likes this.
  11. Tim Simmons

Also, Plaid Room Records is expecting more PJ Unplugged to be hitting stores in the next week or two, they aren’t 100% sure why, but they are speculating that shipments didn’t make it to stores (as Bullmoose tweeted about last week) or that the pressing wasn’t fully finished by RSD.

So we can all take a step back and chill.

jimhb and Gabe Walters like this.
  12. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

For me, Record Store Day is about getting out to a record store with likeminded music and vinyl nerds and celebrating the community around our hobby. Sometimes I get what I want, and sometimes I don't. That's life. If something I want is pressed again to meet demand, I think it's great. So many people are quick to assume the worst--"They lied to me!"--when the simpler explanation is that the band and its team was surprised at the demand and just wants to get the record into fans' hands. Or, as above, that the full shipment simply didn't get distributed on time. That happens to various titles every year.

13. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Hey, don't laugh. How long before there's a "halogram" concert tour? :shake:

14. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I don't mind that they repress the records. It is kind of a crock that they get re-release notification less than a week later though. I'm not mad, I just won't go next RSD and i'll sleep in. Actually kind of happy in a way. Part of me kind of likes the limited numbered collectability of certain records though. Oh well. I won't lose sleep.

15. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Technically I suppose you are correct, but at the time of the Patsy Cline RSD release statement I was confused and didn't understand the release wording.
    The release wording stated: RSD Limited Run/Regional Focus Release, I even asked in this thread what that means. The answer I got was it was only going
    to be released in a certain region, well then what region was that? I live in So. Calif. and figured my region is not part of this one, maybe Nashville region, I didn't know.
    I then found out that my local store did receive 1 of these, so the region release thing threw me for another loop. Bottom line, I'm happy this is being further issued
    by Third Man Records, and understanding the release statement a little better now. :sigh:

16. Trace

Trace Senior Member

I don't know about anyone else, but my local was selling the Pearl Jam for $22. If you're getting charged extra for that title, talk to your record store owner because they are the ones that are fleecing you.

17. Trace

Trace Senior Member

This is a very fair argument. I do agree if they start reissuing "Exclusives" there's really no need for me to get up early and participate on RSD. It could kill the day.

hi_watt, Erik B. and Lucca90 like this.
  18. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

As I posted (I think) on another thread, Rush Backstage is also selling the record now, so my guess is that they sent 2700 out for RSD and kept the rest for their own sales. Maybe 5000 total between the two.

But it was listed as an RSD Exclusive, and there seems to be no difference in the contents, so that was a bit misleading.

ytserush likes this.
  19. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

it's a no win situation. keep the release limited? people bitch about not being able to buy it. press more? people bitch about...other people being able to buy it??

here's an idea. no matter if it's advertised as first run, exclusive, or whatever, make the first RSD batch colored vinyl. then, if there's a repress make it standard black, or another color.

20. Tim Simmons

this is the best way to do it (they seem to be doing it with the Pasty Cline LP). Plus it allows them to better gauge demand when approaching the repress.

hi_watt likes this.
  21. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I don't buy much but what i have bought i love. And i love that stuff is getting out there that hasn't been out there. A great idea. Speading music and helping the mom and pop type business. Nothing is perfect. And no matter how it was done there would be complaints. Though the bootleg of Skid Rows singer is pretty messed up. Someone should have caught that.

22. Fractured

Fractured Forum Resident

I'm one who dislikes the exclusivity aspect of RSD and don't care to line up early and fight crowds to get a few records. I go to my local several times a month and would prefer to just be able to pick these titles up like any other. I'll preorder if necessary; just guarantee me one copy, and I'm fine.

I understand, though, that some of these titles probably wouldn't see the light of day if the label didn't have a near guarantee of selling a certain number of units on day one. I think there is a middle ground, though.

Personally, I would be quite happy if they did RSD special editions (coloured vinyl, extra posters, etc.) while still releasing a regular edition of anything that sells out.

But I guess that model might eventually break down if too many people decide there's no reason to rush out to buy these. Still, the titles that have a smaller audience might still be RSD-only, just because there's no financial incentive to press more.

mrgtojudge and Greenalishi like this.
  23. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

No, I thought you were going after me!!!

24. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

"I think that's a picture of the producer". Bless his heart.

jlf likes this.
  25. Grow Fins

Grow Fins ...and leave you laaaaand-lubbing women alone

It is my impression that the RSD titles tend to be more expensive over here. And that RSD titles in general tend to be quite a bit more expensive than regular titles. A case in point is this year's reissue of Fela Kuti and Roy Ayers' Music of Many Colors - that was about 35 euros on RSD, while the non-limited reissue was 22. The only difference is the color of the wax. I did not know it would later be reissued, otherwise I would have bought the regular version. But here at least the color differed.

Jeff Tweedy's Warmer was billed as a RSD exclusive on black vinyl, and later reissued exactly the same. I don't know if the price differed, but I do know that many people overpaid thinking it would never be reissued. That would not have happened if it has been billed as a RSD First. This is the major reason why I was concerned after the PJ announcement. It is perfectly legitimate to distribute leftover stock. Expensive colored versions - a bit of a cash grab, but fine if they are transparent that there will be a reissue later. I do have a problem with re-releasing exactly the same thing if it was billed as an Exclusive. But generally, grossly inflated prices are a far bigger RSD problem, and far more pervasive it seems.

It's nice to hear that the PJ was fairly priced in the US. For me, that's the way it ought to be.

Trace likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.