Record Store Day Black Friday 2019: Info + Rumors

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ElevateMeLater, Sep 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Gosh I hope they release a color vinyl as well!

The Elephant Man likes this.
  2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Finally got to listen to my copy of the Chuck Berry In London album. As others have said, this one sounds real good. There are some real rocking beauties on this LP, like "St Louis Blues", "Dear Dad", and "I Want To Be Your Driver", among others. A couple of corny songs, as is typical of Chuck, but even those still sound solid.

Highly recommended if you are a Chuck fan, but never got around to getting this album since it was released after his earlier, more-prime period.

Still though wondering about the change in the back cover photo. The new color photo is theoretically nicer, but I wonder how that even came about. I'm surprised that they even found alternate photos.

3. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

This

4. Cokeman118

Cokeman118 Forum Resident

I went to one of my local record shops, probably been there for one other RSD years ago. I don't frequently go there, I usually hit up the thrift shops for vinyl. I only wanted the McCartney picture disc and was throwing around getting The Runaway's live album. Got there about an hour before opening, brought my son with me. 17 people were ahead of me, others slowly made there way behind me. They had coffee and snacks set up for everyone which I thought was cool, and they brought out a box with free posters and other random band memorabilia. Then they came out with a raffle, gave out tickets which we didn't even have to buy. I ended up winning a test pressing of "Remember Me" by Chuck Auerbach signed by him and Dan Auerbach, which I though was a nice surprise. When the store opened, they only let in 5 people at a time, due to it being a small shop. They had all the RSD stuff in the front on display. I thought it was well organized, staff were amazing, and everyone was cool. Found what I wanted, and at checkout they ended up giving me a canvas bag with a bunch of other free band memorabilia and another free album, I can't recall who it is at this time. I wasn't expecting anything other than trying to get a couple RSD releases. Overall it was a cool experience

5. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

6. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Profiling shoppers? Sounds messed up.

7. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident

Did the U2-3 12" EP come with a digital download code?

8. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Seems pretty obvious to me what the point would be but anyway...

This does remind me of a story one store owner told me. This was a few years ago, maybe 2012/2013. He was curious to see if people were selling on eBay already and what the prices were. While browsing he found a listing with a photo taken in his store. The guy photographed the lp on the shelf, bought it, then listed it. He recognised the background as being from his store. I heard of flippers but that's the craziest story I heard...didn't even wait to buy it either. Photographed it first! Mind you it could've been a regular customer for all he knew but crazy story none the less.

He kept participating in RSD for quite awhile but it did annoy him that he couldn't cater to his regular customers and how often they left disappointed by the one a year visitors and flippers. He eventually stopped participating, officially anyway, which is a long story, but never really missed it. He still managed to get a few things in for his regulars anyway.

9. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

He's obviously not in California where the state is doing their best to chase businesses away. If his store was in CA, he'd be doing whatever he could to cater to as many customers as possible.

Erik B., Jimijam and vinyl diehard like this.
  10. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I mean, sure, but what if a customer buys a record at a shop, and over a year's time the record goes up in value for some reason, THEN the buyer flips it. what's the difference except the passage of time?

I found a Led Zep double RL in the bins at one of my locals for 15 bucks. i'm sure I could make a profit on it. i'd be "flipping" it, right?

11. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Bit paranoid are you? lol

Come on, it's pretty easy to understand the store owners position here. Hardly out of the ordinary for a shop owner to want to cater and prioritise returning customers. He's not the only shop owner who's had similar feelings. Not all dropped out of RSD but it's not that uncommon of a complaint.

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You missed the point of the story. It wasn't posted to trigger a discussion on the morals of flipping as it had nothing to do with. I've covered the morals of flipping in other threads. Not interested in covering it again in this thread. :)

Tommyboy likes this.
  13. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

They will. It's going to be colored black.

.crystalised. likes this.
  14. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

nah, I get it. i'd be pissed too if that happened, to be honest.

15. vinyl diehard

A customer is a customer. Comes in and buys the goods. That’s retail.

Tommyboy, Mazzy and mrgtojudge like this.
  16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Well, no not really. But you can run your store as you please.

17. vinyl diehard

In what way?

18. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I completely understand a store owner wanting to pass on the whole thing. It’s a big financial risk. RSD stock can’t be returned, and it’s tough to know what might get completely ignored by the customers that only come in twice a year. I see a lot of stores with overflowing “RSD leftover” bins. They put out a lot of money for those records and they’re stuck with them. Can’t blame a shop owner for wanting to avoid that scenario. My favorite local shop just orders what he thinks is good & what his regulars and friends specifically ask for so he doesn’t get stuck with a lot of dead weight after the fact.

mrgtojudge likes this.
  19. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

No, at least mine did not and I’ve seen no mention of that. Mine is #13,991/17,000. They appear to be widely available on Discogs. I paid $19 on RSD-BF.

20. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I got #13988...no download. I wish that downloads were still as common as they used to be.

nodeerforamonth likes this.
  21. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

No, mine doesn’t.

22. Chauncey

Chauncey Forum Resident

Thanks for the info

23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I think your local record store may have incorrect information. In 30 years of following Pearl Jam, they have released tons of “limited” releases, and I can’t recall them ever giving a limited edition a wider release, despite pleading fans and sky high secondary market prices.

I see you’re a new member - what store? My “go to” in Auckland is Real Groovy on Queen, if they’re still around.

24. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

Live at easy street is available now elsewhere, it was repressed. so, the Unplugged could be possible yet. couldn't find any info about, but who knows?

25. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

I haven't heard anything about this at all...guessing it's inaccurate. There were more copies released recently, but it's just the remainder of the initial pressing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.