Record Store Day RSD 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joe1320, Jan 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident Thread Starter

David Bowie Pin Ups Picture disc
    PIN UPS PICTURE DISC FOR RSD 2019

“Singing old songs he loved...”

Parlophone will be issuing David Bowie’s 1973 album of cover versions as a picture disc for Record Store Day 2019 on Saturday, 13th April.

When originally released, the David Bowie/Ken Scott produced album was preceded by the only single from Pin Ups, Sorrow, which reached #3 on the UK chart. Pin Ups itself entered the UK album chart at #1 on the strength of pre-orders alone.

Joining Bowie on the sleeve for Justin de Villeneuve’s extraordinary photograph with Bowie is Twiggy, name-checked earlier the same year on Aladdin Sane for Drive-In Saturday: “She’d sigh like Twig the Wonder Kid”.

The photo session was shot in Paris for Vogue magazine, but at Bowie's request was used for the album instead. This same image is used for Side 1 of the picture disc.

Originally, the back cover and insert featured Mick Rock photographs and Side 2 of the picture disc uses one of his artworks which utilised images from that session.

The picture disc includes a reproduction of the insert, and the back cover is as the original with the following note from Bowie:

+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - +

These songs are among my favourites from the '64–67' period of London.

Most of the groups were playing the Ricky-Tick (was it a 'y' or an 'i'?) - Scene club circuit (Marquee, eel pie island la-la)

Some are still with us. Pretty Things, Them, Yardbirds, Syd's Pink Floyd, Mojos, Who, Easybeats, Merseys, Kinks.

Love-on ya!

Bowie x

btltez and Sean like this.
  2. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

I wish the Raw Power LP would have been the "Embassy mix". That mix of Search and Destroy smokes the other two more familiar mixes.

Black Stripes likes this.
  3. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

Great album but I really dislike picture discs

4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Hmm, that would be great to have.

SoundDoctor and alexpop like this.
  5. gomen ne

gomen ne -

Just WHY??????
    There's so much else that could have got a release.
    It's all getting a little bit silly.
    [​IMG]

6. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

maybe try playing the STP release from Black Friday at 78rpm? It might actually sound right!

7. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

I can’t work this out.
    RSD 2015 or 2016 was TMWSTW pic disc and then haven’t they missed HD,Ziggy,Aladdin and gone for Pin-Ups.
    A bit random.

Defrance likes this.
  8. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Boys Keep Swinging pic disc is due in April.

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  9. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Absolutely, with mono and stereo mixes in 2x3 disc box sets, side F and L have cover artwork etching on swirl coloured 180 grams vinyl.

sortvinyl likes this.
  10. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

Hunky Dory, Ziggy and Aladdin all got coloured re-releases though. I guess they're going with one or the other and perhaps the less popular ones are getting the RSD picture disc treatment.

vlad676 likes this.
  11. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

After Cracked Actor and Welcome To The Blackout, a picture disc of Pin Ups seems to be a big WTF?

12. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Yes we did get gold, gold and silver in those. The silver Aladdin was the day or week before RSD. Still slightly random but you are correct.
    Next year then a swirl coloured Diamond Dogs then?

13. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

Still not sure what the unexpected Bowie RSD is?
    To follow last years “Let’s Dance” demo 12”; maybe a “Loving The Alien” Demo 12”?

SoundDoctor likes this.
  14. AnalogueAndy

AnalogueAndy Forum Resident

Better yet, why not kill two birds with one stone: a complete Grateful Dead show from 1969 on 78RPM. Talk about a box set!

Boognish and Summerisle like this.
  15. numanoid

numanoid Forum Resident

If only I could edit my earlier post to include this release. Seriously.

I'd like to thank RSD for making my snark a reality. You can't make this stuff up anymore.

DHamilton and Defrance like this.
  16. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

07 / 08 / 1978
    on
    78 RPM Vinyl

And FTR - Pinups is Bowie's Best LP.
    Though, I won't be buying a picture disc.

17. numanoid

numanoid Forum Resident

Maybe the RSD stores are requesting these. After all, the target market anymore is the casual collector. It used to be a flipper paradise, and I could see the stores getting salty for being left out. They shell out thousands to get records in their store, only to sell a record for $10.99 which ends up on eBay the next day for $250? I'd be pissed too. So maybe they are making stuff that will have no secondary market value. No serious collector cares about picture discs, much less a Pin Up's reissue. But, a casual collector of "vinyls" would love to have any Bowie release for their cool Crosley vinyl player. And no one would ever pay more for that record so the stores aren't selling anything that can be flipped where they lose out on profits.

I mean, it makes sense. It's all gimmicks. The ones that aren't are RSD first titles that will have a wider release.

Kyle Mooney and DHamilton like this.
  18. Richard 1966

Richard 1966 Forum Resident

19. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Interesting theory, but stores and their requests are the last things being considered on "Record Store day".

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  20. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

@cmi posted this in another thread. Hope it's legit 'cuz I need a sixth copy of this album. ;)

Record Store Day 2019:
    Imagine - The Raw Studio Mixes - 1 LP - 13 April 2019

It seems to me it'll be the list from CD3 off 'The Ultimate Collection':

1. Imagine (take 10)
    2. Crippled Inside (take 6)
    3. Jealous Guy (take 29)
    4. It’s So Hard (take 11)
    5. I Don’t Wanna Be A Soldier Mama I Don’t Wanna Die
    6. Gimme Some Truth (take 4 – extended)
    7. Oh My Love (take 20)
    8. How Do You Sleep? (take 11 – extended)
    9. How? (take 40)
    10. Oh Yoko! (take 1 extended)

21. numanoid

numanoid Forum Resident

I'm to the point where I just want non better masters of albums, especially the entire 90's. Get rid of brick wall compression, bring back dynamics, include stuff taken out of the album, resequnce if needed. FLAC downloads are fine with me. Pair this up as a side of RSD somehow. Buy an Oasis screen printed poster, which comes with a new, better mastering of What's the Story, Morning Glory?. See what I mean? I'd actually want that poster too! After all, record stores usually sell far more than just records. Expand this to other things like posters and shirts.

Radio is dead, mastering for loudness (unless it's an artistic tool) should also be dead.

SoundDoctor and jonboulay like this.
  22. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

A couple of stores here in Vienna still have copies of TMWSTW pic disc in stock!

23. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

The picture disc Pin Ups isn't the equivalent of those though. I'm sure we'll still see a live set from one of '83, '87 or Sound and Vision '90.

vlad676 and jlf like this.
  24. leeroy jenkins

leeroy jenkins Forum Resident

If this happens, it could make for a potentially stressful RSD. Depending on how many are pressed.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  25. CaseyJames

CaseyJames Relaxed Fit Jeans Vibe

Hoping beyond all hope for the Amelie soundtrack (Yann Tiersen) to finally get a vinyl pressing. Instead, I suspect I'll just be kicking rocks instead.

jlf likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.