Record Store Day...What nonsense!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by disraeli, Apr 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

So you bump a thread you obviously don’t like? Makes sense.

JohnCarter17, Mugrug12, rod and 2 others like this.
  2. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

It was almost entirely CD when I used to go. I actually bought a couple of CDs today as well:righton::cheers:

Walter Sobchak likes this.
  3. Walter Sobchak

Walter Sobchak Forum Resident

I got some old Prince CD’s out of the used bin and that Dylan Chimes Of Freedom collection.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  4. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

The owner of my local indie store -it´s a small store...- said that he ordered 10 copies of BOT, received 1!

Man at C&A likes this.
  5. fishyboots

fishyboots Forum Resident

OK, So this is to support record stores & get ERSD items for
    THOSE who put in the work, get up out of bed EARLY & Wait in line (3hour wait).
    ONLY to get inside & hear OH, we only got 2-3, we're SOLD OUT : (
    As the online sales rake in & have PLENTY of stock, friend's holding favors... etc
    I felt/ feel TODAY it was a waste of time & effort to try & support this occasion
    As Stephen Hawkins once said "GREED & STUPIDITY will bring DOWN
    the human race.
    To those who DID the work & received the goods...
    Congratulations, I'm stoked for you!
    To all others..

guitardiet likes this.
  6. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

I enjoyed my visit to my local store.At 70 now,i'm not into standing in line for hours.I'm perfectly able to do it,just don't want to.The store opened at 9:00 and i got there at 10:30,still crowded but i was able to look around,got the three records i wanted the most.There were plenty of others but passed on them.I was back in my car by 11:10 so was a nice visit.Got to talk to a nice young lady as we both hoped to find what we wanted.I have been a good customer of this store since it opened in 1983 and grateful they are still there for me the whole year,not just RSD.

If i had to be there at 4 or 5 in the morning to do it,i would give it up.When i was much younger i would have been one of them.I may go back tomorrow and get a couple more if they still have them.Charlie Parker with Strings is calling my name :)
    Just look at all the comments here from all the people who did have a great time.I love the whole experience,waiting for the RSD list to drop,looking it over and over to decide what i want.hoping i can get them and avoid the crazy prices on Ebay..of course it's not perfect..what is!

OP..I hope you don't go into a room of little kids on Christmas Eve and yell..There Is No Santa Claus ;)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Em., baelfire12, Matisse and 8 others like this.
  7. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

It's not nonsense. We had a great time today. Met a lot of cool people and are still listening to the amazing records we bought today, none of which I plan on selling. Why rain on somebody else's parade? We're happy with our music and our local store had the busiest day of the year. Four times the turnout he's had in the past five years for RSD, meaning it's growing. What's wrong with that? In a nutshell, it was fun!

Rocketdog, Reid Smith, Peachy and 9 others like this.
  8. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

You're missing nothing. What started out as something with the best intentions - support the indies - has become a farce of flippers and ridiculous colored this and that.

And no, I don't have to go to it, and I don't. That doesn't mean I don't have an opinion. RSD is anti-consumer - anti music lover - and we're supposed to applaud like trained seals. Not for me.

9. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

makes as much sense as ranting about the same 3 things that have been gone over endlessly in multiple threads.

10. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Yeah, I get that. But there are ways around the whole rat race without having to stand in the rain for four hours and end up empty-handed.

I was lucky - my little rinky-dink local had the two things I was looking for the most. They only got one of each. I passed on a couple things I should have picked up. Probably should have just bit the bullet and got them.

I thought I got completely shut out last year, but gradually managed to get exactly what I wanted, without having to pay through the nose.

I don't know - if RSD helps small indies thrive/survive, then I'm all for it. I have yet to flip anything either, and there's a couple things I could make a nice piece of change on.

11. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

Bob Dylan's Blood On The Tracks isn't really a "beanie baby." It is a uniquely mixed new experience of an iconic album.

12. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

It's hard for me to say, "never again" but what I'm really disappointed at is another issue; you wait with great anticipation for a certain re-issue on RSD and then, considering you're lucky enough to get your hands on what you want, it's made badly. I've been searching high and low for the UK version of The Stones' Through The Past Darkly and was quite thrilled to find it was coming out. All beautiful till I pull the record out one side of which has a ripped/glued back on portion of the label (just a small section near the center hole but that's not the point). next, I put the album on to be treated to the same swooshy surface noise which accompanied the 50th anniverssary vinyl of Beggars Banquet. This is bothersome on a few levels but among them is the fact that I feel terrible having to return this to the store I've been a customer of (and supported the best to my ability)for many years...I know these guys depend on things like RSD to give them a boost and to return an album makes *them* no money. And once again...you have to wonder over and over about record companies who take for granted the interest in vinyl by still allowing such inferior product to go out.

13. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Know what you mean. This year there were some titles I'd wanted, though, so I reluctantly tolerated a sect of the local nerd hoard for about half an hour - paid for my s**t and left quickly. After that, went to take my son to a Scouts function where I spoke with a couple mommies. :)

Pick ups? Woodstock, Yes, ELP and CSNY. They didn't have the PH mono I'd wanted. Still got my mom's copy, but it's seen better days.

Didn't pick up any mommies either. Wife would've been none too pleased with that.

14. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Obviously not everyone flips items, but let's face it - many do. There's just no reason for the items to be Limited Edition. I don't see how having severely Limited Editions on the shelves for one day helps the record stores throughout the year - and that's what's needed, not one big Christmas. Of course, there'll be those that say many retailers rely on a once a year event (usually Christmas), but we all know how that's turning out on the High Street - it's not enough.

It's just the whole fever of the thing that tells the story, imo. Something's wrong when you're compelled to be standing outside a store no matter the weather or location. It's unnecessary, doesn't suit peoples budgets, and will it really cause you to go back in a months time? Plus I honestly think it's damaging to music lovers, you shouldn't have to pay through the nose because you only got the budget 6 months later. It's a really horrible trend in the music business, imo.

15. DavidD

DavidD Forum Resident

Well, I disagree that $25 for an album is insane. I find it to be a good deal for an album I'll listen to dozens if not hundreds of times. I remember in the later 1970s paying $10 a record because I lived in a remote locale. $25 today is a fraction of that price.

aroney and The MEZ like this.
  16. #1Zero

#1Zero Well-Known Member

Living over an hour away from a record store, I enjoyed it back when stores would list their stuff on their website the day of. I could usually get what I wanted then. When the powers that be stopped the same day internet sales the flippers started cleaning the stores out. Now some stores are listing the stuff on ebay the day before with a huge mark up. I dont worry about it anymore. If theres something I have to have I try to hunt for it a month or two after RSD.

17. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

There still are exclusives. No plans for larger release of the Dead Warfield offering beyond the RSD Lp & CD runs. Feel pretty lucky to score that CD (only two were left), since I was too late for Floyd and Dylan.

Our flagship indie, Music Millenium, goes all out, with sidewalk coffee for those in line, and some nice sales of non-RSD stuff as you peruse along, too. Mono Zappa Only In It For the Money vinyl was marked down from $29.99 to $19.99. The event gets bodies into the store, and is win-win for both. Early-birds catch the choicest worms, of course....

Purchases of RSD items are limited to 1 per person at MM, too....not sure if that's everywhere or not.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Peachy, Chrome_Head and fishyboots like this.
  18. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I managed to get a copy of the mono release of Pink Floyd's "Saucerful of Secrets" at Apollo Records in Chillicothe OH. I didn't expect to find it, but there were two copies. I'm listening to it and loving it. Record surfaces are absolutely silent and the bass is amazing. If it hadn't been for the unfortunate use of kazoo in "Corporal Clegg" I would be floating in psychedelic splendor!

19. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

I agree with your points. I actually like the event and got what I wanted. However, I spent a good chunk of change on 10 lps and so far I am 0 for 2 on getting a clean pressing- off center, noisy, and the mastering. I buy lots of records year round but I can return them mostly, not sure if I will be able to return these.

20. TS582

TS582 Forum Resident

Two days a year.

21. TS582

TS582 Forum Resident

No. Half the RSD organizers probably flip.

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  22. Noonie

Noonie Exploring music is a gift

I went for a bike ride! It was sunny and reasonably warm. Line ups lol

23. TS582

TS582 Forum Resident

And those “most people” vote.

JohnCarter17 likes this.
  24. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I think it’s a fantastic day, pure love for the vinyl shopping experience.
    I’m sad I couldn’t make it this year.

25. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

The rain had stopped by the time I had gotten online. Ended up have a very nice conversation with the couple behind me.

So before the doors even opened, it was already an enjoyable morning. It's not always about what I want to purchase, sometimes it's just about have a nice morning with like-minded music folks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.