Record store owners here is how NOT to treat customers

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by TommyTunes, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I remember that they did as well, but they silently grumbled about it.

2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I think they eased those rules for Black Friday RSD. Im sure someone mentioned that on here.

3. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

Actually, I was sorry the guy unloaded on him. No way to treat a customer.

4. DrPhibes

DrPhibes Vengeful Revenant and 5.1 Fanbeast

Guys, I'm hearing a lot of talk about rules, and I do believe you when you say that they exist. But what are they and where can I find them? I didn't see them at recordstoreday.com. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

It looks like holding something behind the counter for a loyal customer may violate someone's sense of fairness, but that's it. No one has demonstrated that doing this violates any rules.

5. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'm not a record store manager -- our bookstore got out of that several years ago! -- but I can tell you that hotly anticipated title like a new HARRY POTTER or HUNGER GAMES comes with contracts about breaking street date that must be signed before the books will ship.

We even agree to rules about how the books are stored previous to 12:01 a.m. of the release date. For example, the books must be kept in their shipping cartons and the cartons cannot be displayed in public view, must be kept in a locked office when the store is closed, etc.

The penalty for breaking the rules is that you lose pre-release privileges for future releases from that publisher or distributor.

Obviously bookstore rules aren't a direct correlation to Record Store Day, but it's entirely possible that there are rules about RSD releases that the average customer is unaware of.

6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

The guys at Stereo Jack's are good folks.

7. DrPhibes

DrPhibes Vengeful Revenant and 5.1 Fanbeast

Totally understandable, and I'd imagine that breaking street date on RSD items would carry the same penalty. That wasn't what happened here, right?

8. discreplayboss

discreplayboss Forum Resident

Right, but they would send the back to the distributors for credit...

9. discreplayboss

discreplayboss Forum Resident

I'm specifically referring to customers who are dishonest...

10. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

The rules for Black Friday are totally different then the rules for RSD. Holds and other things that are totally banned on RSD are not on Black Friday.

That's why you can order the Black Friday items online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.