Record stores in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island & Connecticut!!

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by panicproject, Dec 28, 2017.

1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I know a lot of decent record shops with virtually no country records outside the dollar bin. Depending on the area, they may not sell enough of that stuff to make it worth their while. That said, country music has always been fairly popular around the NH seacoast; who remembers the Marte-L Lounge?

2. batdude98

batdude98 Forum Resident

I got some great stuff at Cheapo (namely the Chess Blues box) and Stereo Jack's used to be my local (great Sinatra hauls -- Mono First Press All Alone for $2.00!)

3. roverb

roverb Forum Resident

this past Saturday i went to Garnick's in Lowell MA for the first time.
    not your average indy record store--they also fix televisions and electronics.
    highly recommended. very reasonable prices.

4. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

A friend of mine who grew up in Lowell has very fond memories of Garnick’s. I keep meaning to head up there but I’m rarely in Lowell. At the very least we should go up there for some Vietnamese and Cambodian food…

zbarbera and roverb like this.
  5. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Dedham Record show....or any show in Mass-Maine-NY-NJ.

6. zbarbera

zbarbera A stereo's a stereo. Art is forever!

Bob is hustling for a couple of big collections. I was in there yesterday. He’s got one guy with 3k rock records he hopes to get in tomorrow and another with 1500 jazz albums.

Hep Alien and uzn007 like this.
  7. zbarbera

Yesterday Bob told me Saturday was crazy busy. It’s not a place for a novice digger.

8. zbarbera

Highly recommend Mystery Train, fantastic guys. And going in and overhearing the conversation behind the counter is so great. The same arguments and debates that have been going on forever.

I did hear last year they were selling more new stuff as older stuff was drying up for them. Which seems odd because some other local guys I know are stocked to the brim.

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. zbarbera

Thrifty’s is long gone. Music Connection. The guy has an absurd amount of stock. You’ll literally be tripping over piles on the floor which will be in the way of flipping through the bins. The only problem is his prices are astronomical. Think 2x Discogs high. So unless it’s a gotta have… I will say he’s a good guy and open to offers.

Metro City is very small but I usually find something good tucked in there. He’s a good guy and his prices are nice.

The Newbury in Manchester has a decent used section. Last time I was in there, at least.

10. zbarbera

For the more common stuff Welfare Records in Haverhill is the way to go. Country is in the back, under the rock. It’s not sought after so their prices are nice. I’ve gotten some good country cheap there.

Garnicks, too. I just flipped through all of his country last night. A couple of ok things but nothing I bit on. Finding rare country up here is rare! I’ve only gotten one or two here and there purely by chance.

Hep Alien and batdude98 like this.
  11. zbarbera

Mike lives upstairs at Welfare. As far as I know he owns the whole building. In the last couple of years he’s sold off a lot of his personal punk and surf.

As for his business sense he used to manage Second Coming :) Try heys get raided and the next day a truck would show up and restock the entire store. Mike himself is fair. Their prices have gone up a lot but you can haggle some.

12. zbarbera

I’ve only been once or twice since the beginning of the Plague Times. But I used to get over there every chance I got. But I also always found it curious that they rarely had any appreciable amount of rare records. I’ve gotten a couple and will always regret not grabbing the Ritual de lo Habitual for $40 a few years ago.

But typically is is common to uncommon stuff. Rarely anything I’d pay more than $29 for.

13. zbarbera

Fidelis is a couple of minutes from my office. I used to go all them time. Unfortunately, Bill, the guy who was always there went I went in passed away just as the plague got underway. He was a really fantastic guy and he priced records to sell. Since they sell such high end gear used records was really just a way to get people in the store.

If I happened to be in and there were records there that they had not bought yet he would let me go through and set stuff aside. A few times he even facilitated a deal for me on some stuff he decided to pass on. The greatest was a box of about 100 early to mid 89s metal albums. I was shocked he was going to pass but there was no way I was going to. I need up splitting it for $300 with a friend of mine. The white label promo Ride the Lightning alone was worth the price of admission.

Metal by zbarbera | Discogs Lists

Prices have gone up since then, but they are really nice guys. I love going in there.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. zbarbera

I regularly see new AP and Blue Note stuff at Fidelis. Got my Muddy Waters Complete Plantation Recordings there new for retail. Inventory fluctuates. I don’t think th try actively hunt used collections but they do buy. Because of the high end nature they do tend to be very picky about what they buy. You won’t find anything less than EX in my experience.

15. zbarbera

I’ve always meant to go into AC Therapy but usually end up in Savers first then have to rush back to the office because I’ve already taken 1 1/2 lunch! I’ve never seen any reference to any records on their site or in any reviews.

16. zbarbera

The records there are the kid who used to have a tiny shop over in Amherst NH. Black Light Records? I’ve only been to that new shop once. And I felt bad, the guy opened just for me on an off day and I only ended up spending like $20.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
    uzn007 likes this.
  17. zbarbera

He just has piles all over. Disorganized and unsorted. He’ll look stuff up and add 50-100% above the high price. Nice guy and all, to me at least but it’s ridiculous. If Bob at Garnick’s got that inventory it would be gone in a week. Not just sitting in piles for months and years. What, do you plan on dying with a store full of vinyl prices not to sell?

uzn007 likes this.
  18. zbarbera

Music DNA is not far from me but I rarely get over there. I’ve never had a bad experience and I usually find one or two things for a reasonable price. I’ve never had a problem with Bear but I have a friend who didn’t feel welcome there.

uzn007 likes this.
  19. zbarbera

I’m just a few minutes from Dyno. And yeah they’ve been around forever. They’re so funny, you just never know what you’re going to find. But it’s either going to be massively overpriced or underpriced. But they are small so you can get a good look in a relatively small amount of time. I will say it’s rare that I leave without picking up something. Last time was a copy of Hoyt Axton - Joy to the World for $5.

uzn007 likes this.
  20. zbarbera

Still there last time I was out there a couple of years ago. They moved to a building just off Pleasant behind another building.

21. zbarbera

Now that I hijacked the thread, sorry only saw it for the first time today!

I’ll throw in some others

Beverly Coin is owned by my friend Spleen. Really great guy. He’s been getting good collections lately. Prices can be a little on the high side but not outrageous. Coins are his main business. The records pay the rent for the storefront basically.

Comically Speaking is a comic store in Reading that started carrying records a couple of years ago. I think they kinda look stuff up but don’t really go to far in it. I’ve usually found something good there for a good price but you have to take the time to look at everything. Never know what you’ll find there.

There’s a record stall at the Canal Street Antique mall in Lawrence. Was there about a year ago. Not worth goi g out of your way but if you’re in the area it’s worth a stop. Decent volume and prices.

22. rangda

rangda Forum Resident

I bought my degritter there. Looked through the vinyl one of the times I was there, buried amongst all the vinyl is a pretty decent Celtic / BritFolk collection. Nothing really rare or expensive, it's mostly mid 70's pressings / reissues of anything earlier than that but some good hard to find records if you are into that sort of thing. I could probably buy a few more things to fill out my collection.

The guys in there seemed decent enough. I wish they carried more gear that I would gravitate to. Although i will give the Antipodes music server they sell a hard look at some point.

23. rangda

rangda Forum Resident

I've known the owner Patrick for years. FWIW he's sitting on some high end collectable vinyl that for whatever reason he's not putting out. I know because I sold it to him. My duplicate UK plum Led Zeppelin LP's, pink island King Crimson, some other things.

Marc Perman, uzn007 and zbarbera like this.
  24. zbarbera

Interesting. I don’t get there often. Maybe once every few months. But I rarely see anything high end out. Decent stuff but nothing like that Zeppelin. And at his prices I’d probably be tempted! Maybe saving them for shows?

uzn007 likes this.
  25. zbarbera

Haha. I’m set for equipment and I lean toward vintage tube. Although they had a Curl Blowtorch in a couple of years ago that Bill said they’d probably be willing to slash the price on.