Record with hiss throughout song. Anyway to get rid of it or is it the record?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SixOClockBoos, Dec 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

The promo labels....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The FRiNgE and McLover like this.
  2. Actually, no. There were 2 U.S WLP versions of this in 1966. One had the same song on both sides.

3. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

It won't "get rid of hiss" but a Phase Linear Autocorrelator Noise Reduction System will get you 10 dB of noise reduction. It can be found in the Model 4000 preamp, and stand-alone Models 1000 and 1000 Series Two (one of which I own). There may be others.

A review of the Model 1000 can be found here on page 42. As far as I can tell, the operation / performance is identical in all of the models.

Jeff

4. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

It appears to me the seller misgraded the record, I believe in most cases unintentionally. Most people, non-audiophile people do not know how to grade a record. The first sign of groove scoring/ damage is the slight dulling of the groove looking straight on, as looking into a mirror. The record may still appear reflective, and a grader errantly grade the record NM. Most vinyl pressings will have a mirror-like reflective surface, almost as reflective as the lead out area. (there are some exceptions) The reference should be a nicely pressed mint record. The second red flag for damage is a "prismatic" type of reflection, or "rainbow colors" as the record is angled in the light.. and at different angles. This occurs from a heavy arm, even with a new stylus that scored the groove... it's not always the worn stylus that damages records.

I am writing a book specifically on grading, and the joy of record collecting, with emphasis on the audiophile. It's long overdue. I will have hi rez photos to illustrate groove scoring/ damage, and sound clips to pair the visual to audible.

An inexperienced (and self-appointed experienced) grader evaluates by the surface, looking for a scratch free surface, but completely misses the condition of the groove. Of course a grayed, dull groove is easily recognizable as worn. The scored /damaged groove isn't as obvious. That's why we have clean appearing records produce noise and distortion. I have considered the purchase of collections well cared for, not a mark on the surfaces, nice and reflective (but not reflective enough) but the groove scored and damaged. In such cases, the owner asked too much for them, and gave me a "crosseyed" look, as if I'm a wack-job... or looking for an excuse to get him/her down on the price. (in most cases I simply apologized for saying the records aren't good enough and walked out, cuz people take it personally) What happens typically, the ambitious original owner who cared for the records physically, was unaware of the damage caused by what they were played on. Almost all records were played on a mass produced consumer grade record player. So, just how many mass produced consumer grade record players were bad? The vast overwhelming majority of them were bad. Records were expected to wear, and eventually wear out, and they did !!! I have found in my searches, 99%+ of the used records out there have been damaged by previous play on a mass produced record player, and will distort or make noise on an audiophile system.

A truly NM record may be a survivor of infrequent play on a "top of the line" Magnavox console, or one of the better Sylvania consoles equipped with a Garrard type 1 or Dual 1000 series with a magnetic cartridge. There are others, but most were not of quality high enough to preserve records for future collectors. There were a few higher compliance ceramics that were easier on the records. Most ceramics were brutal. Other survivors may be second presses given as a gift, and off the billboard charts, mostly unwanted and unplayed by the recipient.

Record consumers are not record collectors. A collectible commands extra special care and preservation of the item, versus a consumer item.

One of the problems with record collecting, and why the values of more common issues in truly NM remain of low value... is misgrading. A truly NM record (mostly popular records, especially 45's) is indeed hard to find, and should command a premium price.

So far, of all the 45's I've purchased online, all of them produced noise and distortion, and were graded NM by the seller. I didn't return them, but wrote a + feedback with description that the record was below grade. The typical 7 inch 45 can be expected to make some noise, and fidelity may not be superlative. But if we get audible hiss, and rasping distortion, or maybe a lot of fidelity loss... these records are not NM, they're not VG+. By Webster's definition of "good" a bad sounding record is not even good.

It's an online jungle out there. The buyer needs to be protected by a full satisfaction guarantee, and be prepared to return a lot of records.
    Just as food for thought? How near to mint should NM be?

Sorry about the length.. maybe I'll edit and include in one of my chapters..
    Steve VK

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    389 Tripower likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.