RedLetterMedia

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wondergrape, Jul 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wondergrape

wondergrape Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

3. wondergrape

Agreed. Rich is obviously one of the great characters of the YouTube era, but Mike's insights and comedic timing are spot-on. Jay is the perfect straight man. All of their commitments' to authenticity is obvious and commendable.

4. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Red Letter Media is great, and very inventive, and I also enjoy The Critical Drinker. I find myself sliding into the habit of watching the reviews as an acceptable substitute for ever watching the movies they discuss.

mx20 and FVDnz like this.
  5. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I'm a Patreon supporter. Watched them for years.

Enjoying the 'confused spat with Shatner' saga.

enro99 likes this.
  6. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

Big fan here too. Their annihilation of Adam Sandler is an utter joy.

wondergrape likes this.
  7. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Count me as a fan as well.

8. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

I remember stumbling upon their Phantom Menace review back in the day. I had no idea what to make of it but I thought it was brilliant. Been a fan ever since.

mx20 likes this.
  9. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I still love watching this one. Always makes me laugh. Watch it all the way through, you must.

But if not at least watch from 8mins in to the end.

wondergrape likes this.
  10. wondergrape

There isn't a more profound rebuke for these guys than the word "scam."

11. Jord

Jord Forum Resident

I'm glad some of you enjoy them but to me they are a prime example of "Internet complainers" and focusing on the negative, just because it's the "cool" and easy thing to do. Tried several videos of them but the tone just wasn't for me.

12. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Ae the Plinkett reviews from the same guys. The humor might not be to everyone's taste, but the critiques are often spot-on.

13. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

They're enthusiastic about a lot of stuff too, it's not all complaining. And when they do complain about stuff it's insightful and witty.
    Yes that's them. The Mr Plinkett Star Wars reviews are hilarious and razor-sharp.

enro99 likes this.
  14. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I concur - looking forward to the Plinkett The Rise of Skywalker review at some point.

FACE OF BOE and SRC like this.
  15. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I settled down with a 20" pizza and a beer the night their initial review of Rise of Skywalker came on and watched that instead of going to see the movie itself.

Was far more entertaining and pleasant I suspect.

We need more Neil Breen reviews too.

enro99 and Vidiot like this.
  16. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I've watched and enjoyed a ton of their reviews, but I have mixed opinions on the 3 main hosts:

Mike - usually has the more interesting and insightful things to say during the reviews, and he's easily the funniest one of the group... I like his incredibly dry sense of humor.

Jay - he's a decent reviewer and makes a good straight man when paired with Mike...but unfortunately I find him hard to listen to most of the time, because he does that annoying thing I've complained about in other threads where he pronounces words that end in "ing" with an "een" sound at the end instead. It drives me nuts and he does it about every 10 seconds. So irritating!

Rich - he's flat out awful and ruins just about every review he's in. He isn't the least bit funny, and that stupid high-pitched hyena laugh of his makes me want to rip out his larynx. They really need to get rid of this idiot.

17. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

One of my favorite channels. I have no qualms with any of the regular hosts on the shows. I used to find Jack a tiny bit annoying, but I've grown to find charm in what he brings to group discussions as the relative "straight man" despite being obviously more of an egghead and less cynical compared to the rest of them.
    If you hate Rich, you are not an empathetic human nor worthy of my respect. He is a national treasure.
    Sounds like a beef with accents... perhaps learn to accept that people from other regions pronounce things differently?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    wondergrape likes this.
  18. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

No, it's not an accent thing at all... in fact, some of my favourite youtube channels are ones where the hosts have accents. There's a difference between 1) someone pronouncing a word a certain way due to an accent or regional dialect, and 2) someone simply pronouncing a word incorrectly... and unfortunately Jay falls into the latter category.

19. kreen

kreen Forum Resident

They're great at what they do: they have interesting and original insight, great chemistry, quick wit. Both smart and funny, and knowledgeable and honest.

daglesj likes this.
  20. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

I have literally NEVER noticed anything wrong with the way Jay pronounces words.. but I am in Minnesota, which is directly next to Wisconsin where Jay is from.. Mike and Rich are actually from the Chicago area

21. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

They are the best at what they do. Aside from the still unsurpassed Plinkett prequel reviews, their deconstruction of the Sandler system and of the incredibly cynical campaign to make that Ghostbusters 2016 movie look like some form of feminist statement, it's their passion and real depth of knowledge that separates them from the rest. And they're f*****g hilarious!

enro99 and daglesj like this.
  22. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I keep trying to work out what happened to Jay's face a few years ago. Did he get his teeth done or something. If you watch clips from 4-5 years ago his face and especially his mouth look very different.

As for Rich! I love the guy. I love it when they pick up on his slip ups and run with it.

23. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

You're lucky, then, if you don't notice it. I can't go more than 10 seconds without it grinding my gears because he does it so frequently.

24. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

I've really been enjoying their "Best of The Worst" and "Half in The Bag" series of movie reviews. Hilarious, informative and cynical.
    Are there any other channels or reviewers who are similar to these guys that you can recommend?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.