Reel-to-reel chat, post pics and talk about your reel to reel!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Twelvepitch, Jun 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

I think Metal reels look cooler but i don't know if there is any sonic benefit or anything like that with using a metal reel.

Fifth-Chord likes this.
  2. Twelvepitch

Twelvepitch Musician and analog enthusiast Thread Starter

I do that all the time. It has no effect on anything the reel to reel has.

3. jacden

jacden Senior Member

That's a really unusual design, but I like it! Are those 10" or 7" reels by the way? It's hard to tell from pictures sometimes.

Fifth-Chord and Twelvepitch like this.
  4. Twelvepitch

7", I think.

5. jacden

jacden Senior Member

Thanks. Nice looking machine. I wouldn't mind having one of those.

Fifth-Chord likes this.
  6. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

There are reasons why this model was quite popular. But the cool look is only one of the reasons: Those are also very well build machines with a direct drive transport which feature the shortest footprint of any R2R ever made.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    WMTC, Twelvepitch and jacden like this.
  7. rocknron

rocknron Forum Resident

8. rocknron

rocknron Forum Resident

Love the box! How do I get one? What was your process for creating it?

9. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

The Tandberg model 6X ranks among the very few one-motor R2Rs which are worthy of restoration (the ampex F44 being the other one). Those are really nice sounding little machines when they are working properly.

Dubmart and Curiosity like this.
  10. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Bad to the bone!

11. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Looks powder coated, very nice.

12. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

My brother cuts the grass for an older gentleman down the street who is in his 90s, and he said he went in one day to talk to him and he had three or four RTR machines and stacks of tape. Ya never know if there’s a fellow audio nut down the street.

clhboa likes this.
  13. jacden

jacden Senior Member

Hey thank you. I simply printed the artwork on A4 sized labels, trimmed the edges and wrapped it around a standard two-piece tape box. I'm keeping the reel itself wrapped in a plastic bag inside the box, but I still can't help wondering if the adhesive glue will damage the tape over time. In other words, it's not something I've dared before or since. But it looks pretty cool.

14. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

This brings back memories. I loved my 707.

WMTC and Fifth-Chord like this.
  15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Strangely I just found a replacement new pinch roller available on eBay, I say strangely because I'd previously searched and it hadn't shown up. I've also found the clear plastic cover for the tape counter in the case under the deck, nice as I didn't even know it was meant to have one. I need to have a think about attempting some restoration myself, I'd love to strip off some of the dirty parts and clean them in an ultrasonic tank, plus fit a new pinch roller, but I'm not confident I know enough to be sure to take it apart and get it perfectly back together. I think I'll call the guy who does all our tape transfers, he has lots of machines and must know a reliable tech.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Twelvepitch and Floyd Crazy like this.
  16. Weaver Beddoe

Weaver Beddoe Active Member

I have 3 such machines available. A Tandberg TD-20ASE, a Revox A-700 and an Otari MX5050, I have owned all of these for at least 10 years and all except the Otari currently work and the Otari worked fine the kast time I used it which was about 10 years ago. PM me if you want info on any or all of these decks.

sajmon, Dubmart and Twelvepitch like this.
  17. WMTC

WMTC Forum Resident

My rule of thumb is usually to try & use a matching reel cosmetics wise. I've got quite a few varieties of empty takeup reel, so if I'm playing a tape on a Scotch reel, I'll use a Scotch makeup reel of the same design. Of course, that's not always possible unless you keep a ton of empty reels lying around, or only have one or two brands of tape. If I don't have a matching takeup reel, then I usually just use either a BASF plastic reel, or an Akai metal reel that I have. Just my $.10

Edit: Oh, and I've got an RT-701. Very nice decks!

Fifth-Chord likes this.
  18. Wardsweb

Wardsweb Audio Enthusiast

I have posted this before. A mix of 2 track, 4 track and the X-2000M, which is both.

[​IMG]

19. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Here’s a pic I lifted off the internet since I’m too lazy to take one of my own deck. AKAI GX-646

[​IMG]

jesterthejedi and clhboa like this.
  20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And it's had a full mechanical rebuild, and overhaul. Roberts and Akai tend to be needy machines after long layoffs. And not built to be repair technician friendly. And they make performance claims which are too optimistic. Better Roberts machines do perform reasonably good once serviced. I also find them less likely to have been properly maintained as well. But a Crown for me is the best of the breed of that era for a machine which I can move by myself without another strong man or three to move. Or a good ReVox machine. I prefer my electronics designed to be repairable when necessary and on plug in cards, I prefer rugged, reliable, and good sounding to drama queens. Later in the decade, I like Teac A series better machines and I like Otari MX 5050 machines.

Twelvepitch likes this.
  21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Teac X series, the machines with the capstan motors I love to hate. Weaker than they should have been. The machines to the left and right I love. The X series are fine but need regular belt replacement, careful owners and operators, and gentleness.

Twelvepitch likes this.
  22. Twelvepitch

Nice to hear from you! Completely agree. What do you think of the Akai 1710? I'm thinking about getting one for demo recording.

23. Twelvepitch

The X series were okay, I like the A series like the A3340s (which I have and love.)

McLover likes this.
  24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Not recommended. Get a Teac A series and overhaul that. Single motor higher wow/flutter. And those Akais of that price range were adequate, but not very good with age. And transistors may need outright shotgun replacement. And recapping needed.

Twelvepitch likes this.
  25. Twelvepitch

This is a tube machine, trying to look for a great 7 1/2/15 IPS tube machine I can enjoy for a long time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.