Reel-to-reel chat, post pics and talk about your reel to reel!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Twelvepitch, Jun 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

7" it is. Which for me gives very little recording/play time. As I use my tape in one direction (1/2 track Stereo, tails out, tones for level and azimuth at the head of the reel)

The FRiNgE and Twelvepitch like this.
  2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Ampex 350-2 or 351-2. There's your answer. Yes, I know it's huge, it's heavy, but you can rely on it. Any lesser won't cut it in the long run.

Twelvepitch likes this.
  3. Twelvepitch

Twelvepitch Musician and analog enthusiast Thread Starter

That's WAY out of my price range. I wish I could afford one. I know it's not the best, but maybe an Akai M8?

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

See if you can find a late 10 1/2" tube era Crown Stereo 1/2 track machine then. Which is the best machine in that genre one strong man can move. Or a high end 10 1/2" tube Magnecord machine. Those are the two major good machines of their type, which are somewhat viable to use at home.

Twelvepitch likes this.
  5. Twelvepitch

A Crown would do great. Maybe I can find one in the $500 range.

McLover likes this.
  6. Wardsweb

Wardsweb Audio Enthusiast

The #1 mechanical issue I find with the X series is the pivot point for the pinch rollers transport. The grease dries out causing the pinch roller to not engage. They always need cleaning and new oil/grease. I find some heat helps to free them up.

Twelvepitch likes this.
  7. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

I haven't had a chance to setup my PR99's since moving back into the listening room. I am working towards that goal. This shot is from a few years ago? I'm pretty sure that's RMGI SM911 tape on custom powder coated reels (but it could also be LPR35).

[​IMG]

The FRiNgE, clhboa and Twelvepitch like this.
  8. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Another proud owner of the TEAC A-3440. (not my picture)
    [​IMG]
    What a great little workhorse!
    Still got mine, runs well, needs a service however.
    It's been my favorite toy out of all my gadgets.
    I wonder how many of these they produced over the years?
    Must be thousands of them out there in great to poor condition.
    Convenient whenever the need comes to replace parts.

9. Twelvepitch

Excellent machine! I have the A3340S, which is before that model. GREAT home studio workhorses!

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  10. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Brought this little fella home yesterday:

[​IMG]

Clearing out some storage space at work, I found this under some boxes. My boss informs me that it hasn't seen use in at least fifteen years. I was given the choice of tossing it in the dumpster or taking it home.

The tension arms and pinch mechanism are completely seized, but the heads appear to have low hours, so it looks promising.

I plan to put it on the bench tomorrow for some restoration, and hopefully calibration. Will report back.

11. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Teac 3440
    Pioneer 707
    Revere T-2200 (1958 stereo!)

Twelvepitch likes this.
  12. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

So we just picked up a couple of revox machines that need some TLC before they're off to new owners!

13. Rick Bartlett

The Dumpster!!!!
    :yikes:
    Hell no!
    Even has a nice Sony take up reel!

14. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Update: I ended up going deeper in this thing than I wanted to, but I am pleased with the outcome. The entire mechanical linkage had to be removed and cleaned. It took a surprising amount of force to extract the pinch mechanism - the grease had not only become dried, but had nearly turned to cement. Fortunately, these decks are solidly built. Some fresh moly grease and light motor oil has been applied where needed, and that familiar solenoid 'clunk' has returned.

Playback speeds are **very** close to spec, and playback levels and EQ fall comfortably between the Ampex, STL and MRL alignment tapes - so, no electronic adjustments were attempted. Playback azimuth needed a slight turn, and there is some head wear present on closer inspection - but I think there's still some hours left before that becomes an issue. (I skipped checking record gain and bias, as I have no plans for using this as a recorder.)

It's been a long time since I've had a functioning deck that can play back 3¾ IPS, so this is going to be a welcome addition to the basement studio as the go-to deck for consumer tapes and general "fun" listening.

Here's a clip I just put up:

15. sajmon

sajmon Active Member

I'm a big fan of Tandberg.My first r2r was TD20A,now is model 10XD with 9.5,19,38, 4 tracks.

16. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Been getting back into RTR in the last year or so. I currently own a Teac 3300SX, Teac 3300SR and a Pioneer 1020L. The Teac decks both work well, but the Pioneer doesn't record so I need to have that looked into. I'm sure all of them would benefit from a pro servicing, which is something I'll probably have in done in the future.

17. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Some more work machines. The top beast is the Tascam 34B four track.

[​IMG]

Next is the Pioneer RT-1020L which can play back quad tapes, though I've never seen one in person.

[​IMG]

And last is our most recent arrival. A lady donated this to us. It's a Fostex Model 20 2 track deck. It plays/records at 15 ips and 7.5 ips, but only handles up to 7" reels. Seems to work fine. She later brought in a calibration tape, which is not a process I've gone through, so I may check that out at some point. Also several reels of Ampex 456, which I believe is fairly notorious for developing sticky shed syndrome. I did run one of them though and that one didn't stick or squeal. Might be an okay batch.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  18. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Ned: EXCELLENT!!! Enjoy! I had the same deck for a little while in the 80s. Great deck for 3 3/4 ips tapes.

Schoolmaster Bones likes this.
  19. Rick Bartlett

Found this clip, has a nice old machine and board being used.
    I wonder if this is actually the audio from the tape they are using?
    One might suspect, there's plenty of tape hiss going on....

Bern, Twelvepitch and 360-12 like this.
  20. LBC_Jet

LBC_Jet Forum Resident

I am running a TEAC A-6100. Not a very common deck. It plays 2 and 4 track. 7.5 and 15 ips. Records 2 track. I don't record on it though. I have been building up a modest collection of pre-recorded tapes, mostly classical. The stuff from the 50's and 60's. I prefer the 2-track tapes but have a few 4 track, including a few rock tapes. Love the machine. Bought it from an ancient TEAC tech who was liquidating his collection. Well maintained and runs great and hoping it continues to do so (knock on wood). I also got the old school remote with it. Big as a brick with a cord as thick as my pinky finger. Totally cool!

Rick Bartlett and The FRiNgE like this.
  21. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

22. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I have had several R2R decks in my years of audio......First one as a teen was an Akai X-1800SD, built in amp, speakers and 8-track player. I still have it in storage, probably needs a complete overhaul has not been turned on in 35+ yrs. My father had Pioneer decks also.
    This is the one I have been using for about 10yrs now, works flawlessly and makes brilliant tapes. I plan to take it in for a once over probably early next year, get it all back up to specs and calibrated if need, I don't have the bench gear to do this. I have changed a couple diodes that went bad simple solder process, once you find the bad diode!!

Teax X-2000R

[​IMG]

23. Charles Hidalgo

Charles Hidalgo Tubes, Horns, tape, analog!

24. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

[​IMG]

My musical partner bought this for me, I used to have one for years long ago.
    Now I am transferring our dozen or so reel to reel tapes to the computer (each tape generally being 3 hours, as I was dumb and used the slow...3 3/4 ... speed), comprised of us mainly playing, singing, recording everything ourselves. It was all for fun, though we got a few good recordings as I am discovering on this first listen in 45 years to these tapes.
    The machine itself was about $300+ from ebay and it is in very good working order, quite happy to have it back home again. I have a LOT more reels beyond our duo reels. I have tons of me solo I have yet to find let alone listen to. This will keep me humming along in retirement, listening to all the stuff unheard since it was recorded.

jesterthejedi, Twinsfan007 and 360-12 like this.
  25. frcnorth

frcnorth Forum Resident

I just purchased a TEAC A-7010. Bought it from the original owner who purchased it overseas when he was in the service. Came with the original owner's and service manuals, two 10" aluminum reels (and tape), the remote control and the original bottles of TEAC oil and cleaner. It's a beautiful machine that plays and records flawlessly. Interestingly, it is also the 1st piece of stereo equipment that has ever attracted my wife's interest.

It looms large over a rack of equipment that also contains a turntable, an Akai 8-track recorder/player, and a Harmon/Kardon cassette recorder/player. My little slice of analog nirvana.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.