Rega Brio 2017 or... better options for the price point?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by krambigmac, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krambigmac

krambigmac Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was just at my local audio store looking to replace my 1990's Yamaha RX 395 which has what looks like battery acid leaking in it near a couple of the capacitors. I have had the itch for a few years to replace it anyway so now feels like a good time.

The store had a Yamaha RN803 and I was able to compare it to the Rega Brio 2017 and I liked the Rega better. I was always skeptical about the amp mattering that much but unless my brain was tricking me, the Rega felt more 3D in its soundstage.

Before I got to the store, I was thinking of the Yamaha S501, 701, 801 series but if the RN803 wasn't as good as the Rega, I have a feeling the others won't be either.

The Rega goes for $995 so that is pretty much the highest I would be willing to spend.

My supporting gear is:
    Speakers - Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary
    Turntable - Pro-Ject Debut III
    Phono Preamp - Lounge LCR
    Tuner - Sony XDR-F1HD

I have a month or two before my basement is remodeled and I hook the system back up so I won't need to make a purchase immediately.

2. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I had a Brio (prior version) in an all Rega system for a number of years. It was great in the small and medium rooms I used it in. Very good phono preamp. In my current room with the same RS3 loudspeakers it was a bit lost in space. Funny that I replaced it with a Line Magnetic 16 watt tube amp and Klipsch Cornwalls. The Brio remains on my recommended list.

3. krambigmac

Hmm, how large a room did it feel lost? The area in my basement will be 18x25 (though the back left from a seated position opens into the rest of the basement) meaning I'll only have a 3 wall setup for the first 13 feet. It's a weird L shape that the listening section will be the bottom line of the L.

Funny you mention the phono preamp. I'm curious if the Lounge will be superfluous if I upgrade to the Brio's.

4. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

My room is 30x16x8 feet. I have heard good things about the Lounge so you will need to make your own comparisons. I think the Brio is a good choice for the Dentons but I’m not sure how it will sound in that large a space. Large scale Orchestral music may be problematic.

bhazen likes this.
  5. krambigmac

I'm mostly a Rock n Roll guy. Between the Stones, Springsteen, and the Beatles, that is about 75% of my listening with some other stuff thrown in. I would like the flexibility to play any type of music well but I understand my budget is low compared to what is out there.

6. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Maybe look at the Yamaha AS-701 or 801, not sure the Rega has enough power for that much space.

ls35a likes this.
  7. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I’m thinking it’s more of an issue with the Dentons. It’s a big space for a stand mount / bookshelf. A higher efficiency floor stander might be in order.

G B Kuipers and SirMarc like this.
  8. Hifi Kenny

Hifi Kenny Forum Resident

I have the Brio 2017 and it fills my 6m x 4m lounge easily. The volume pot rarely goes above 12 o'clock, even for large orchestral works. My speakers have the same sensitivity as the Wharfedale Dentons but the impedance is higher.

9. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

I have the same speakers and recently got a Parasound Halo Integrated, the original. They’re going for good prices now that they’re bringing in an updated model. Really makes the Dentons sing. I understand though that my room is smaller than yours and this might be a little over your budget.

10. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

So approximately 20x13 in feet. I had a similar sized space in our old house.

11. Helom

Helom Forum member

Look at the Outlaw RR2160

12. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

You might be interested in the Heed Elixir—it seems like they’re competing with Rega amps in particular—and you could remove some complexity in your setup by using its credible phono stage. Here’s a complimentary Stereophile review:
    Heed Audio Elixir integrated amplifier

I have been super impressed by the Heed Obelisk mk III, but it’s above your stated budget.

13. jhenry

jhenry Forum Resident

Echoing JMAC. Heed Elixir may be the best $1000 ish integrated on the market.

14. krambigmac

The Heed Elixir looks nice and has the small profile I like in the Brio but is about $200 more than the Brio. $995 is pretty much my limit as I'm not 100% comfortable of spending that, especially all that damn tax. The audio store had a used Brio 2017 on the shelf for $799 but it was sold on tax free weekend (I missed tax free weekend too, that's a slap in the face). I gave them my info in case the guy backs out but I have my doubts.

The Outlaw at $799 has some outstanding reviews and even has USB input. I assume I can load .flac files on a flash drive(hello Springsteen concert bootlegs) and play that which is a cool feature I'd like to use when I've had a few drinks and don't want to touch a tonearm. I just don't see a way to choose your track or folder within a flash drive so it's probably just play from beginning each time. It's still better than not having that capability at all.

15. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

There's a long thread here on the Outlaw with a bunch of very satisfied customers. If you haven't already, check it out my good man.

16. krambigmac

Thanks. I'm actually going through it now. Looks like a winner! Wish my local store sold it to give them the business.

SirMarc likes this.
  17. Hifi Kenny

Slightly bigger - approx 22x14 feet IIRC.

18. Hifi Kenny

Have you seen this new open box Brio at $798.54? - Rega Brio Integrated Amplifier - Brand New in the Box - Only 1 Left - open box | eBay .

Btw, the £ sterling is worth around $1.28 this afternoon. The Brio retails at £599 less 20% VAT (£500) for non-Europeans (around $640 to you) in Britain. Just add shipping to get a bargain but you would need to check the voltage issue.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    displayname likes this.
  19. jhenry

jhenry Forum Resident

Here’s an Elixir for $899. I think it’s worth it, but the Rega is great too!

Heed Elixer Integrated

JMAC likes this.
  20. krambigmac

I was almost sold on the Outlaw without question because they are based about 30 minutes from my house in Mass but unfortunately, they ship from west coast so no pickup option is available. I already had the trip planned in my head, pick up the receiver from Easton, drive to the Stoughton Ikea for the Kallax, and be done but at least I still have time to think it over and check out more reviews and opinions.

jhenry likes this.
  21. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

It also has an analog crossover for a sub, which you may end up needing in that big space with bookshelf speakers. Just a thought...

22. Ric-Tic

Ric-Tic Forum Resident

Something else, The Brio-R is prone to humming. At least make sure you can return it.

23. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

You can find the previous version of the Brio-R for around $500 used nowadays. I'm using one with a pair of Dentons and the combo is excellent.

I also suggest bi-wiring the Dentons!

24. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

Just a note on model numbers - Rega's aren't exactly intuitive.

The Brio-R is the old model . The current is just "Brio" but commonly referred to as "Brio (2017)".

How do you listen to the Springsteen boots now? Maybe a Chromecast is an easy solution for you irrespective of amp choice .

SirMarc likes this.
  25. krambigmac

A few years ago, I was looking at the Brio-R when my old Yamaha was giving me trouble but it started working again for a little while. I've been making sure it is the 2017 I've been checking for (and trying out at the store).

Usually I just convert the flac to mp3 and listen in my car on a USB drive. Since we're dealing with ranging quality with boots, I'm not expecting miracles but I bet a few of the official releases would improve their on the Dentons vs whatever is in my Kia, if only because no noisy car is getting in the way.

Maccaroni likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.