Rega Brio 2017 or... better options for the price point?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by krambigmac, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krambigmac

krambigmac Forum Resident Thread Starter

Resurrecting the thread to ask about the Outlaw RR2160 deal going on now. Right now, there is a combo deal where for an extra $60 ($898 total), you can add on an M8 subwoofer. It looks like it is $100 more but with the free ground shipping, I'm saving $40. Is this subwoofer decent? Amazon seems to have great reviews but very little talk on this board that I have found using the search function.

I have the Denton speakers and my new basement listening area when it is complete will be rather large (18'x25'). The way things are set up with support poles, I can't really use a standard placement so I will be sitting nearfield in front of those poles. Would a subwoofer make sense and is this one sufficient? $60 seems like a steal but if it just makes the bottom end boom unnaturally, maybe the Denton's by themselves are the way to go?

2. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

The Yamaha series amps you suggested have variable loudness, something that would be of benefit with the Denton's at lower volume when the bass starts to fall off. I had Denton's for a short time and powered them with a Rogue Sphinx and also an older NAD receiver. I definitely preferred the receiver for the loudness option. At low volumes with the Rogue (a great amp BTW, still use it), the Denton's had no body.

3. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

How do you feel about buying used?

A lot of potential value out there. A SS int amp is a relatively safe buy used.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  4. krambigmac

I'm not totally anti-used but I do like new in case there is a problem with it. I assume with used, you're SOL if something goes wrong past 30 days or so. I'm a bit stuck on the Outlaw RR2160 right now because of the USB input to play flac files on. If there is something used with that functionality where it makes sense from a price/performance standpoint, I would be interested. It'd be a bit easier to sneak by the wife if it's used too :)

5. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

6. Pythonman

Pythonman Forum Resident

I love my BrioR. It' one of my personal favorite things which I now have boxed up safely after 4 solid years of playing. Think, less is more! One knob, one switch and a selector button. I've moved on to larger separates but the Brio playing well recorded music is downright awesome. I'm saving it for a second system with British mini monitor type speakers. I've heard nothing but good things about current Yamaha amps/recievers but I have not heard them in person.

action pact likes this.
  7. krambigmac

If I go Rega, I would lose out on the USB playback. If I just keep the USB stick in my chromebook, could I then use something like a Chromecast Audio to do the same exact thing that the USB input of the Outlaw would do? I have a regular chromecast that a friend gave me for the TV but does the audio one simply work by plugging in to an empty RCA port? The Rega has enough inputs for me to use my phono preamp, HD radio, CD player, and one more thing so this could still work (albeit for more money than the Outlaw).

8. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Maccaroni likes this.
  9. krambigmac

Since today is the last day for the Outlaw RR2160 plus M8 Subwoofer sale, I figured I would give this a bump. Any other opinions?

For those who haven't seen this thread, basically, I have it narrowed down to
    1) Rega Brio 2017 for $1000 plus tax at the local dealer
    2) Outlaw RR2160 + M8 subwoofer for $900 with free shipping

Notes:
    I assume the subwoofer is good for the room since when the basement is remodeled, I will be using Wharfedale Dentons in an 18x25 3.5 wall area(though I'll have to listen nearfield so the structural support poles are not between me and the AV setup). Not a lot of talk about this subwoofer but it seems to have good reviews and normally goes for about $300 when not in this deal.

I also value the USB input in the Outlaw since adding a chromecast audio would add at least another $35. My listening would be approximately 75% vinyl, 15% USB flac files, 10% radio with a tiny bit for CDs (my wife's preferred medium).

I have the Lounge LCR phono preamp so I am not concerned over which phono is better among the two amps unless one totally blows away the Lounge.

I have an HD Radio tuner so the standard tuner in the Outlaw is only backup in case something happens to my Sony XDR-F1HD (I heard they are susceptible to overheating).

10. Helom

Helom Forum member

The outlaw seems like the no-brainer in that matchup. You'll want it for it's bass control when running a sub.

11. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Support your local audio dealer and get the Rega amp. They have a much smoother sounding top end than any Outlaw I have ever heard, plus you'll get the 3 year warranty and local support. You might find the Brio to be good enough in phono to make a separate stage redundant. I'd also really suggest keeping your digital source separate from your analog amplifier. You can get a better DAC and upgrade only that when and if you need to later.
    -Bill

Dan Steele, bhazen and HiFi Guy like this.
  12. newworld

newworld Forum Resident

I can't think of better sound and value the Cambridge Audio CXA60 at way under $1000. A refurbished unit would save you even more, leaving you with more options.

Dan Steele and Archguy like this.
  13. krambigmac

Three recent responses and three different amp suggestions. I suppose that means I can't make a bad choice here. The Cambridge seems to be $750 new, same as the Outlaw without the subwoofer combo though it has no USB input. I do get the idea to keep digital and analog separate but I won't be upgrading anything outside of maaaaaybe turntable for quite a long time (10+ years) so a separate DAC is not something I want to buy in the short term other than maybe the Chromecast since it is cheap enough. I assume that any of these is going to be an upgrade over my old Yamaha RX395.

Supporting a local dealer is nice but Outlaw is based out of my home state so I'm still supporting small business either way. I did order the Pro-ject Acrylic platter from the local store out of support since it cost the same as Amazon anyway. I just wish I could go see the Outlaw in person before buying it but that isn't an option since they ship from west coast.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
  14. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

I think any mentioned would be good. I would search up each brand for descriptions of their “house sound” and see what matches your aesthetic.

Archguy likes this.
  15. james

james Summon The Queen

I think you’re right that you can’t go wrong. I’ve never heard an outlaw product but they have their following.

I’ve had the Brio-R and it’s a cool amp. I’d really like to hear the newer one. That said, it was easily beaten by the Yamaha AS-2000 (which it should’ve been given the price difference, so along it went). I’m not sure I’d want the Brio on anything but fairly efficient speakers.

Definitely take a second look at the Yamaha AS801. It’s a bit more neutral than the Brio-R but I feel like it would wake up the Denton’s (which I haven’t heard, but I’ve read the reviews and know their specs). I’m a firm believer in speaker/amp matching being a critical part of the signal chain.

JMAC and Archguy like this.
  16. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

Hadn’t heard of heed yet but that review and the specs make it seem like it has everything I thiught the brio r was missing

JMAC likes this.
  17. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

That's because it is Chinese. They are not the friend of your state. They send your money to China. Cambridge is also. Rega is not a US brand, but at least they don't send your money to our enemy. They build everything in England and source most major parts from there when possible, and the EU as a second source. Only items that they cannot get at anywhere near a competitive price do they source from China; some resistors, caps, etc. The more important ones are EU. That shows that they have loyalty to their home country and the integrity to make it work, despite being harder than just handing over their economy to China. If the fact that it is built better doesn't convince you, just listen to it. It sounds better. Your local dealer can prove that for you. I am not making a nickel on this, just trying to help you see another side that many who only look at initial cost and features will miss. Value is in quality of sound and longevity, as well as future product support.
    -Bill

Joel S and Morbius like this.
  18. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I've only owned two pieces of Heed gear, both had problems. One because they put the wrong caps in it at the factory. The importer took a year to resolve my problems and was most unpleasant from start to finish. Obviously I'd pass on Heed.

19. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

That sounds awful. Dan at Blackbird Audio sold my Heed gear to me and has been a complete joy to work with. One of the real gems in the biz, I think.

20. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Think again. You have no idea what a jerk he can be when you have a problem he doesn't want to deal with.

21. krambigmac

Well last night I pulled the trigger on the Outlaw deal. It was a tough decision because the Rega looks fantastic but the Outlaw's added features, savings, plus the subwoofer won me over. I was trying to find a reason to not go with it but there were very few negatives. Being made in China vs England was the top one that I could find but enough happy people in the Outlaw thread didn't make that a concern. I hope it's well-made enough to last me at least 10-20 years like the Yamaha did. The one thing I found on the Rega was that the back panel was a little flimsy. For $1,000 that was a bit of a turnoff.

Now I just need a good place to put it. I was thinking on top of the Kallax shelf when I get that but it looks like the amp is a little too deep unless I pull the Kallax out a couple of inches from the wall. I'm sure I'll figure something out.

Thank you all for your help deciding what to go with. I hate spending money unless I over-analyze everything to a fault. At least now (well once the basement remodel is done in the next couple of weeks), I can enjoy great sounding music again.

ranch 22b and SirMarc like this.
  22. james

james Summon The Queen

of all the amplifiers I've owned, the best sounding and best built amp was a chinese made amp.

I hope you enjoy the Outlaw. I've had many amps atop a Kallax and they've been fine. You may not be able to run long banana connectors or stiff interconnects if you're close against the wall, but you'll work it out.

progrocker likes this.
  23. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

There's different mods you can do when putting the Kallax together, just Google Kallax mods for breakdowns. This is the one I did, just make sure to wood glue the dowels when putting it together, it makes it very solid.

[​IMG]

Dan Steele and james like this.
  24. krambigmac

Good idea. I was reading that the 2x4 in that direction was not a good idea for stability so I was thinking of getting two 2x2s next to each other. Then I'd have the CD player, turn table, and the amp next to it with a little monitor riser stack to put my tuner, Speed Box, and Phono Preamp on. I may run out of space so I could do the turntable on top of the CD player since I don't have both on at the same time.

25. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

If you use wood glue when putting it together, stability won't be an issue. The Sansui alone is over 60 pounds lol, not to mention the weight of everything else. I wouldn't worry about it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.