Rega P3 (Ania) vs Clearaudio Concept

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ben_pit, Oct 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

I upgraded to the Maestro (MM) at purchase time, and then the Maestro v2 five or six years on. It might seem wrong to use a cart that costs 2/3 as much as the table and arm, but it sure sounds swell.

HKPenguin likes this.
  2. HKPenguin

HKPenguin Active Member

Thanks. And I agree, but main issue is that while I have listened to the Rega P3 and 6 at the official retailer here, getting a comparison and demo of the Clearaudio isn’t really the easiest (language barrier mixed with the no nonsense attitude of Mongkok salesmen - which if you’ve ever been here you would know what I mean). Probably why the price is cheap.

Bottom line is I really want the Clearaudio, but demo and after purchase support are not great. Last year when I looked into the Clearaudio Concept in the US, I thought about buying there and carrying back to HK. Then realized that seemed mad. Now it’s here and very tempting ... and part of me says the Regas are still fine (plus they have the dust cover).

3. Ben_pit

Ben_pit Active Member Thread Starter

I agree, the MC version is way better!

HKPenguin likes this.
  4. HKPenguin

HKPenguin Active Member

What was the final decision for you to splash out for the MC compared to the MM? And did you need to spend more for the phono and other upgrades to match?

5. Ben_pit

Ben_pit Active Member Thread Starter

Great question... final decision came down to reading reviews and test. Initially I was keen on the Rega P6 which includes a phono and MC cartridge but before putting down my hard earned cash I wanted to listen to the Clearaudio again and somehow my ears just preferred the overall soundstage, warmer sound but that’s just my own preference, everyone have a different pair of ears! Also I had wanted to get a new integrated amp to play stereo music with my CD player and turntable. Because of the price I paid for the Marantz Ruby amp, it has a very good built-in phono pre-amp so decided not to buy an external pre-amp thus saving cost. That’s what I have now and perhaps in the future I may get a dedicated pre-amp. So bottom line my budget exploded big time . Am I satisfied? Definitely the best purchase yet. Cheers!

HKPenguin likes this.
  6. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

About eight years ago I had a Rega RP3 and was looking to upgrade/change. I home auditioned the Concept using the cartridge I already had (DV20x2) and thought it sounded better than the Rega. I decided to step and order the Performance DC, which hadn't been released yet. It kept getting delayed, so I ended digging even a bit deeper into my pocketbook to take advantage of a smoking good deal for my dealer's demo Clearaudio Ovation. I still have the Ovation, but it's since gone through two tonearm and one cartridge upgrades. I plan to upgrade the cartridge again this year.

I'm a big fan of Clearaudio products. Enjoy your Concept. It's a great TT.

7. HKPenguin

HKPenguin Active Member

And from a great question, you gave a great answer. I think you nailed what a lot of us go through when looking for gear - always digging deeper into our pockets and following our hearts/love of music. I'd say it seems that most of the time, most people don't regret their decision to spend the extra.

In my case, I feel it's really frustrating. There is no distributor here, so if I decide to buy the Clearaudio, whether it's the MM or MC, either way I take a risk with no distributor. I'm not going to ship it to southern China and not planning to fly it to Singapore. Sigh.... :-(

Anyway, thanks so much for sharing your experience.

8. HKPenguin

HKPenguin Active Member

Maybe I ask, it that through normal wear and tear? Or was there an issue with one of the tonearms?

9. Josquin des Prez

I upgraded to better arms each time. For the most recent upgrade, I didn't really like the magnetic bearing of the old arm (Magnify). I isolated the TT as well as I could, but it's mounted on an outside brick wall. When the house vibrates (e.g. in wind, or with trucks going by) the magnetic bearing of the Magnify is more prone to get upset and not recover quickly enough, causing some LF issues (i.e. rumble). I upgraded to the Universal tonearm. It's quite a bit more expensive, but it has more costly mechanical ball bearings that are much more well-suited to my environment. I always wanted to upgrade to that arm anyway. It's their top pivot arm and sounds fantastic. Notwithstanding the bearing issues it's a substantial upgrade in SQ and tracking ability.

There was no wear and tear. Clearaudio stuff is built like tanks. I just had an unsuitable arm for my setup.

[​IMG]

Morbius, HBJ, gakerty and 2 others like this.
  10. HKPenguin

HKPenguin Active Member

Sweet photo Josquin and thanks. I'm not sure if this is off topic or not, but given that I won't have follow up servicing on the Clearaudio (no distributor here), would members of this forum think it unwise to buy one due to that fact? There's always a risk, of course, when we buy anything. And would that risk be worth choosing the P6 over the Concept (even if I think the Concept sounds a bit better) since I'd be able fall back on the warrantee if any problems?

11. Josquin des Prez

I personally don't like having gear I can't get serviced easily. I've never had any service issues with Clearaudio, but I've enjoyed great support from the distributor. For example, when I switched from the Magnify to the Universal tonearm I could no longer use my VTALifter, and that meant using a different armboard. Instead of shelling out $300 for a new armboard Musical Surroundings (the US distributor) just traded me for the one I need. If I ever move up to the Innovation series turntables then I'll be able to use my VTALifter again.

If you have dealer/distributor support for the Rega and not for Clearaudio, the Rega is close enough in SQ to be a less risky choice. You can't go wrong with it.

HKPenguin likes this.
  12. HKPenguin

HKPenguin Active Member

Yes, you're right and my gut tells me that, although the Rega Planar warranty here is only one year! Everyone's advice has been much appreciated.

13. HKPenguin

HKPenguin Active Member

So just to update everyone (who might be interested), I’m still on the fence. Very frustrating when it’s hard ((next to impossible) to actually test listen to gear (let alone side by side trials!). But the good news is that I reached out to Clearaudio and they do have a distributor here and offer one-year warranties. So now the Clearaudio Concept (wood) is back as a maybe. Only issue is I must say is now I like how the Rega looks now more. Of course sound is what matters. Sigh.

Lucca90 and FashionBoy like this.
  14. HBJ

HBJ Forum Resident

I'd scratch option 1) if I were you - not because there is anything wrong with a Rega P3/ElysII combo (apparently I'm in the minority who actually enjoy the Elys sound :)), but because the upgrade Elys->Exact for an additional $300 is a much, much better choice which you will be happy you made in the longer term.

I listened to P3/ElysII a couple of years ago and really liked the sound, however I got a deal on a RP8/Exact which I couldn't resist. Therefore I know how Planar 3 sounds with ElysII, and I know how the Exact cartridge sounds on my RP8. The combination P3/Exact/Rega fono MM should be a stellar combo.

Just last week I had a chance to listen to Rega Ania (and later Apheta-II) fitted on my own RP8, and while it certainly is a nice-sounding cartridge with better definition of instruments and voices than Rega Exact, I actually preferred the Exact. It has a sweet, musical sound to it and an insane "drive" that I think Ania (and AphetaII for that matter) do not have to quite the same degree. However I certainly understand those who prefer the more neutral and detailed/refined Ania/Apheta-II.

One word of warning: If you already at this point can anticipate that you're likely to end up adding upgrades along the way if you get a Rega Planar 3 (Groovetracer stuff and what not), then it might be a better option to just get the Planar 6 in the first place. Maybe with the Exact cartridge which would save you some $ I presume. And who knows, you just might end up enjoying the Exact so much that you won't be tempted to upgrade it :)

Clearaudio I've never heard, so I can't comment on those tables except that they seem solidly built from what I've seen.

The Rega turntables are seriously good value for money and they all sound amazing...very musical. That's what I'd pick, but of course I am biased as I'm already a Rega-fan :cool:

Good luck with the decision and do keep us posted :)

Morbius, Cyclone Ranger and HKPenguin like this.
  15. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

If you are now looking at the Concept Wood with the Satisfy arm, you may also want to investigate the Marantz TT-15S1 for a lot less money, and that same Clearaudio Satisfy arm. In the US, we are seeing it offered for around $1200 (which is less that half the price of the Concept Wood), and there's quite a few owners around here. It's not gonna be quite as good as the Concept Wood with the more solid plinth, and there's no speed control, it has a separate AC synchronous motor instead of the DC motor on the Concept, but it has all the basic components for good vinyl sound quality at a very good price.

HKPenguin likes this.
  16. rossi

rossi New Member

I think numerous on here will concur with me. The P6 with the Exact is a decent choice. All the absolute best

HKPenguin likes this.
  17. rossi

rossi New Member

i don't think he can anticipate that it's very difficult

18. HKPenguin

HKPenguin Active Member

Thanks for that. My bad - they have just the Concept, not Concept Wood, which is cheaper than the Marantz, mostly because they’re not offering that one with a discount. The Marantz would be more expensive than the Concept MM (black/silver) and slightly less than the P6/Ania.

I’m trying to work out with the dealer if I can get a chance to listen to the Concept as well, but not so easy here. The dealer only distributes them to retailer, he doesn’t sell. Same for repairs; he’d need to send to China to the importer which still isn’t perfect. Will update later.

Frustrating because it’s a lot of money to shell out, but also fun cause this seems to be normal for this “hobby”, or passion, and part of the fun of having the gear. So thanks everyone who’s offered advice!!!

19. HKPenguin

HKPenguin Active Member

So yet another update! I screwed up.
    I figured I shouldn’t drop the cash on a new Rega P6 (Ania for 1,620 US).
    Then I looked at the Clearaudio Concept (silver) MM again, which is selling for 1,380 US. ‘Tis a beauty.
    But then I began worrying about finances, so thought I’ll just go for the Rega P3 with the MM Exact. The P3 (Elys) was selling for about 680 US, and if I changed to Exact MM It’d be about 950 US.
    But today I went to pull the trigger and it wasn’t on sale anymore, meaning it’s now 855 US (w\Elys) or 1,130. Arggggggggggg!!!!!!!,!! I sat on the fence too long. And just to tease me, they have a new RP8 being sold off with Ania cart for 2,150 US.
    So now it’s all on hold, and I can stare at my new phono stage collecting dust....

:-(

20. HBJ

HBJ Forum Resident

Can you find a used P3 or P6 perhaps?

HKPenguin likes this.
  21. HKPenguin

HKPenguin Active Member

Not really. Of course Icould get lucky but there is such a small market for turntables where I live, it would be unlikely. I don’t have stats but I would go out on a limb and say that half of all TTs sold here is serious high end gear (3,000 US and up) and so even the secondhand market would be expensive.

22. Cosmic messenger

Cosmic messenger Active Member

I have had the clearaudio concept now for 18 months and I put on the nagaoka mp200 cartridge with sound lovely. But unfortunately I have had problems with wow on my TT. Piano notes and strings drop pitch, changed power adapter no change so its off to Germany for repairs
    Does sound great usually tho

HKPenguin likes this.
  23. HKPenguin

HKPenguin Active Member

Interesting. I’ve heard mostly good things and you’re the first I’ve heard who’s had wow.

24. HKPenguin

HKPenguin Active Member

So I inherited some extra money, and I’m still on the fence. There is a RP8 for clearance with Ania for roughly 2100 USD. My question is - and I promise I’ll put the thread to rest after this - am I crazy to spend this money on a turntable?

Facts: I have about 300 albums, all from 1950-1985, some not in great shape. I have an old Denon AVS receiver and not great speakers that would go with the new TT. I haven’t owned a “proper” TT for 35 years, and in comparison this really would be my first. Am I biting off more than I can chew?

Should I really just get the P3 or even the Clearaudio MM and put the other half of the money toward amp and speaker upgrades? I see so many people saying go for what you can while you can. But.....

Sorry but I need “bro” advice. The wife doesn’t understand these questions...lol....and apols for dragging this out.

25. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

I would go with the Concept and upgrade path for the other components.

I ran a Concept for 6-7 years without a single hiccup. Great table. The MM cart is about the only weakness and one that you can live with until you know the table and your new setup well enough to select a suitable upgrade.

HKPenguin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.