Rega P9 is it still relevant?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Marshall_SLX, Sep 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000 Thread Starter

Have a P9 (with an RB2000 tonearm that i bought brand new 2 yrs ago), its running a 2nd hand Apehta 1 and its all in perfect condition. Its my ultimate TT really.

But im thinking of selling and getting a Planar 6 with an Ania Pro.

Reason: Its all new and i bought the apheta 2nd hand. I figure a new Ania Pro bests the Apheta 1 pretty well and im betting the P6 is no slouch when up against the P9. Gives away a fair bit to the RB2000 but then again P6 has a new motor, Neo and the foam plinth/bracing etc. Despite the P9's platter and more substancial subplatter and dual belts im betting they would be fairly close really and after selling the P9 i probably come out ahead on the $$$$.

Anyone compared a P9 to a P6 in any form?

2. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

P9 is classic. New P6 is modern.

Probably comparable in SQ (with the same cartridge). New P8 and 10 are better.

3. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Sir Talbot Buxomly Forum Resident

Sounds like a retrograde step to me. Just get a new cartridge for the P9.

Slimpickens, sturgus, trd and 3 others like this.
  4. Marshall_SLX

Its not meant to be an upgrade, looking for similar enough SQ and save a few dollars no prob if its a minor step backwards.

5. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

You've upgraded to a more recent flagship tonearm. Even with the older RB1000, I don't think the RB330 equals it. I think you're downgrading by a lot.

6. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

The Rega P9, especially with the truly stellar RB2000 tonearm, remains a fully top-rank turntable. I know at least one other audiophile who doesn’t intend to ever replace it as long as it’s operating to spec. Considering how well made it is, that eventuality is likely a very long way off. And he ‘only’ has the RB1000 tonearm.

I’m not sure that there’s any good reason to take a step down so far to the P6. While the previous RP6 and P6 are both turntables I continue to recommend at their price point, they just don’t hit the exceedingly high marks of a properly maintained P9 with an RB2000 tonearm. Also, while I personally elevate the RP6/P6 into the high-fidelity ranks (as opposed to the decidedly mid-fi doldrums occupied by so many audio products in that comparative price range these days), unless the P6 in particular is equipped with a truly stellar cartridge (e.g., Dynavector DVXX II MKII, Rega Apheta 3 - aligned to Baerwald/Lofgren A not Rega’s default 3-point Stevenson, and several other exemplary cartridges in the $2500+ range, IOW pushing the limits of an RB303 or RB330), you’re not going to even get within striking distance of a P9/RB2000.

My point is that the single biggest upgrade you can do with a P9/RB2000 is to grace that superb combination with a truly great cartridge. The RB2000 can easily handle a Transfiguration Phoenix and help you realize that your “…ultimate TT really” is even better than you think. Seriously. At the moment, you’re not even close to pushing the limits of that genuinely great TT/tonearm combination. Want a whole new turntable? Get a whole new, truly high-end cartridge and have it properly installed. You’ll find a whole new, incredibly good turntable and tonearm was there all along.

7. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I would not sell a P9 for a P6. That would be a downgrade for sure. Like others have said, you can just upgrade the cartridge on the P9 and call it a day. I'm also not convinced that a new P10 is better. I'm not a fan of the foam plinths for a variety of reasons, mainly how long is that exposed foam going to last before it starts breaking down. I also think the P9 looks much better.

AKA-Chuck G, Slimpickens and rischa like this.
  8. JCOehler

JCOehler Forum Resident

I have owned the P9, P6, P8 and now the P10. I agree with the others that a P9 is more than likely a better listen than the P6 due to the tonearm and it's power supply. Sure, the P6 is the latest motor, PS and the RB330 is a very nice arm but I would stick with the P9.

Regarding the P9 vs. the P8, or P10. I would take the P8 or P10 without a doubt. When the RP10 came out a few years back, a few of us did a P9 vs. RP10 comparison. We all expected..."this is gonna be real close". It wasn't. The RP10 was just in another league with the better arm, bearing assembly, and power supply. And yes we used the same cart on both. I have never heard the P9 vs. the P8 or P10 but in my experience, Rega does not take steps backwards and continues to build off the previous versions. In regards to the plinth, that is definitely a step back for those who want a more elegant looking turntable. Personally, I like the way the P8 and P10 plinth looks.

John76 likes this.
  9. Marshall_SLX

@JCOehler
    I have read that thread mate yes (a few yrs ago but i remember the 10 winning it)... would be super interesting to have compared the RP10 to my RB2000 P9... be a real good comparison of plinths/bracing etc... which im sure makes a difference... despite the rest of it being cutting edge i cant get over the fact that my expensive turntables plinth is made from the same material that the Ikea shelves that store my records are!!!!!!

Theres no doubt its the best looking TT Rega ever made and ill regret it but my priorities are changing and ive got a lot of coin tied up in it. I still want a nice TT and i do want a new cart and i cant afford at this point to just go and buy an Ania Pro for the P9. Ill start with an EOI if i cant sell the P9 for more than i can buy a new P6 for then its all off but if i can and save some $$$ too then ill probably do it.

JCOehler likes this.
  10. John76

John76 Forum Resident

That’s what I would suspect to be the case as well. I find folks who prefer retrograde interesting.

JCOehler likes this.
  11. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

I wonder how close the P9 would be to the P8/P10 if you put the RB3000 on it? I'm betting it would be closer than you think.

Slimpickens likes this.
  12. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Unless you go for the new Planar 10 then it would not be worthwhile and you will be disappointed imo…

Slimpickens, macster and Agitater like this.
  13. Spica

Spica Easy like Sunday morning

I just don’t see the logic here. Downgrade, just so you can have something brand new? The arm in particular is a big step backwards.

Slimpickens likes this.
  14. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

My advice; please keep your P9- it’s still a killer sounding deck. If you go for a P6 instead it’ll be a downgrade soundwise. You’ll regret selling the P9. Instead make a budget and start saving up for a new cart.

Slimpickens, Agitater and richbdd01 like this.
  15. Marshall_SLX

I think ill just have my Apheta 1 retipped... can get it done around $600 probs be the go for now

Slimpickens, GyroSE and JCOehler like this.
  16. JCOehler

JCOehler Forum Resident

That sounds like a great plan! Obviously it's quite a bit more than $600 but the Apheta 3 is excellent, much improved over the 2, let alone the 1. If you are patient there are deals to be had on the used market. I picked up a new one for $995 that a seller received as a replacement and in the meantime had moved to a completely different analog setup.

GyroSE likes this.
  17. Marshall_SLX

Super price... Apheta 3 would be insane im sure... i quite like the sharpness of the Apheta 1 really... should i spend the extra $130 for a boron cantilever?

18. JCOehler

JCOehler Forum Resident

You got me on that one. It sounds like you are having a third party rebuild and not Rega?

19. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Excellent! :righton:

The P9 is such a great turntable- better to keep it, retip your current cart and try to upgrade to a better cart later.

richbdd01 likes this.
  20. Marshall_SLX

Yea im in Australia... Garrot Bros... been around forever

JCOehler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.