Rega Planar 3 VS RP3 value for money

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Marshall_SLX, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000 Thread Starter

I understand the general consensus is that the Planar 3 (new model) is an improvement across the board but is it worth the extra expense.

I can buy a brand new RP3 for $830 AUD or the new Planar 3 for $1,200. I can afford around $1,400 AUD

This leaves me with following predicament. Do i put a Rega exact cart on the RP3 or do i get the new Planar 3 with the Elys 2 cart.

Cheers.

2. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

Have not seen a Rega turntable recently, they used to have only 3 feet claiming better stability, if they still have only 3 feet I would not touch one with the proverbial barge pole.

3. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

I'm just going to guess that most people here would advise applying the rather large savings ($400) towards a better cartridge or improving your phono-pre. Enjoy! (and don't worry about 3-feet!)

willboy and Dennis0675 like this.
  4. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

Yup. better cartridge. More bang for the buck than the pre. Actually Rega cartridges are not bad and if you can get a deal with the table/cartridge combo I'd go with the Exact 2, very nice sounding cartridge for the $ and much better than the Elys. You will get a lot of listening pleasure from this combo. Plus setup with this matchup is in the tune of less than 5 minutes! Only thing you will need is a scale for tracking force. Cakewalk!

Made in the UK!

5. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I don't know about the AUD's status at the moment, but I've noticed several online retailers offering the Rega RP6 with the Exact cartridge installed, and it of course comes with the power supply.

6. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here!

I have the new P3. I bought it with the Elys 2 cart. I like it a lot. I'm experiencing one issue with it, which the dealer is taking care of. It may or may not be an improvement over the RP3 with a higher-end cartridge. Could be a draw, but keep in mind the newer model has a brand new tone arm. Much easier to upgrade a cartridge than a tonearm in the future.

The new one still has only 3 feet. Not a problem for me. My kids dance around like crazy on our hardwood floors two feet away from it and there's no problem. My Thorens used to bounce around like crazy.

7. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Had my P3 coming up on 17 years. 3 feet and all. Never had a problem with that arrangement once. Not one. Buy with confidence on that score.

8. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

Whilst an old model I still prefer the Thorens TD 321 mine is still in perfect condition,kids should not be allowed anywhere a turntable. Which Thorens model did you own

9. Lebowski

I had a TD 316. very similar to your 321. I really miss its auto-stop function sometimes.

Sorry, I love my kids more than my turntable.

10. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Rega doesn't change without an improvement.I'd get the Planar 3.You'll be set for a while.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  11. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I just bought a new p3 and moved my rp3 to office duty. I'm using a 2m bronze on the p3 that had been on the rp3 and the same amp and speakers. The p3 sounds better to me, but not dramatically so. I'm very pleased with the purchase, and it led to a major upgrade in my secondary office system.

That said, if buying an rp3 on discount (music direct has them for $699 for example) means you can get a better cart, I say go for it. It is a very nice turntable.

Shiver likes this.
  12. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

You could keep the Elys2 and get the TTPSU. Excellent with the RP3!

13. Sir Talbot Buxomly

Sir Talbot Buxomly Forum Resident

I'm likely going against the grain here, but I'd go for the RP3 - without a Rega cartridge. I'd then use the rest of the budget on an AT440ML or even the AT150MLx/SA and buy a third-party metal subplatter, either one by Groovetracer or Tangospinner. I'd also push the boat out for the Michael Lim Motor Isolation Base.

But that's just me.

Oh aye - I'd also get the tonearm rewired/DIY it, and get a low-slung counterweight.

14. mrvco

mrvco Well-Known Member

Same here. My P3 has easily outlasted every other piece of gear I've owned.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  15. Nick Scott

Nick Scott Forum Resident

Unless you actually lean on one of the unsupported corners, 3 feet are inherently stable.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  16. Lebowski

Just out of curiosity, what's your concern with a 3 footed design? As discussed earlier I'm much happier with the stability of my P3 than my Thorens 316, which is very similar to your model. Seems we have had completely opposite experiences.

17. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

The Rega 3 series are all good, and have only gotten better with each update. I used to have a P25, which I miss now wished I had not sold it. I would gamble and say the newer model has an edge, 2 reasons. The newer arm is a big plus, and second the power supply is really a good thing. Even if you do not swing for the Planar 3, the P3 is an excellent value. The Planar 3 gives you the big advantage of not needing any upgrades in the near future, and if it is the only table you ever buy, your set. The P3 gives you a nice lower price, and with the difference you can buy a much better cartridge. Personally I would be happy with either.

18. Geoff Whiteley

Geoff Whiteley Well-Known Member

I've had no instability problems with either my Planar 3 or my RP3, in 44 years.
    I bet that the new Ania MC cartridge will work well in the new Planar 3, if it's within budget, of course.

19. Marshall_SLX

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Wow Geoff revived i think my first thread in the hardware forum! To update i got a P3 - 24 and was very happy then a P5 used it once (only because a week later a P7 came up) then bought a P7 im using the Exact cart and loving it... ill be keenly comparing it to the new P6 when its available in Australia and hoping it compares favorably to avoid more expenditure.

20. My P3 is still going strong after 17yrs: never a hitch although did upgrade the arm lead soon after purchase due to the original had a fault. A great table and in my opinion 3 feet is better than 4

Brother_Rael likes this.
  21. Marshall_SLX

I agree 3 feet is better it ensures more positive contact with whatever the turntable is sitting on... and easier to level

22. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Definitely provides better support and ease of leveling for a light weight, and top shelf component, especially one that makes the most use of it like a turntable. It sucks on heavy gear such as amps or CD players where you have to try to get them between shelf spaces without banging the corners...
    -Bill

23. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Sold mine earlier this year since I posted this! Now it's an all digital system through active Quad speakers. One CD player going in via line, the TV and 752BD via optical for movies.

A new 4m cable arriving this week to run direct from the Cambridge phono outs to the Quad to run RCA to RCA and the second CD player can go too. How times change!

24. Dman

Dman New Member

I just bought a new planar 3. From my research, pretty much everything but 2 things were upgraded on the planar 3 vs the RP3

25. Marshall_SLX

Congrats on the new TT, what cart did you get?

I still dont know the answer to my original post but i can tell you that at the time i decided to get a used P3 - 24 with TTPSU and a brand new Exact cart which cost me $1,240 AUD which was my max budget. At the time of my OP a 2016 P3 was $1,200 by itself ($1,400 with Elys) and a runout RP3 with Elys 2 was $1,100. I never ended up comparing the models but i fully believe i ended up with the best Rega setup my money could buy. Since then i have upgraded to a Rega P7 and continue to use the Exact cart, the upgrade offered significant gains in bass weight and definition, similar midrange tone but more articulate, transparent and open, smoother more extended treble and the P7 runs at exactly 33.3 where the P3 - 24 was 33.5/6.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.