Rega Planar 8 announced!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by AnalogReview, Oct 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I have a hard time finding trustful reviews. That means not the traditional UK based media that give everything UK 5/5 when they purchase ads at the same time. Is it selling bad or production issues? It seems to be very limited stock at my retail too. On Instagram it’s like 40 pics of it with most from retail and on here it’s like 3 people owning it.

How does the arm mount to the plinth. The screws go right through it I assume with a nut on the opposite side? How much can it be shimmed with original screws? I assume maximum 4mm is needed as usual.

2. ClickPOP

ClickPOP New Member

Just got P8 with Apheta 2. I almost cant believe it. Never had Rega turntable before. Just unpacking this I was almost convinced I'd never buy a turntable from anyone else, the thing just oozed quality engineering. The sound it out of this world. Even the woman I live with who never liked the way my stereo sounded was amazed. "This sounds fantastic. Well you really got your moneys worth" she exclaimed. The cart replaced a cart that was a notch more expensive. Apheta2 and P8 combination bested it, hands down. Apheta2 even sounds great on old mono lps with no summation. I'm so glad I got this combo. Takes the whole system to new level. I dont think any other one component I've ever added made this much of an inroad on my systems performance.. Accolades to Rega Research, you really came through

Dmann201, xfilian, Dan Steele and 5 others like this.
  3. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

I am thinking of upgrading from my Project Debut Carbon Esprit to the Planar 8. Has anyone heard the Planar 8 with both the Ania and the Apheta fitted? Having read a few reviews, there seems to be a few folk saying that the Ania errs on the side of warmth whilst the Apheta is a bit more analytical and detailed? Given as how I slightly prefer the former sound signature to the latter, I was wondering if any users on here had similar experiences?

Echoes Myron likes this.
  4. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

You do realize that neither will work with your Lounge? You need at least an Aria phono stage if you spring for an Apheta. Really need an Aria for the Ania too.

5. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Wow, thanks for the advice - it is not something I had even considered! :sigh:

That increases the expense somewhat. I am starting to wonder if it is all worth it but my upgraditis is giving me grief at the moment :D

6. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

If you want a cheaper but similar option look for a close out or ex demo/nearly new RP8/Apheta.

Echoes Myron and xfilian like this.
  7. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

There's always the Rega Fono MC.

dbsea and xfilian like this.
  8. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

If you have the money for a P8/Apheta, spend it on a P8 /Aria and use your Ortofon Bronze for now. It would still be a massive upgrade and you could upgrade the cart later.

9. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

What have you Apheta 2 owners found for break-in time? I have about 60 hours on mine. Bass and soundstage is great, but the highs sound grainy and etched. More noticeable on certain lps, of course. I double checked alignment and VTF (currently 1.85). My phono preamp (Musical Surroundings Nova II) set for 100 ohms and 60db gain. I only have a choice of 20o or 300 pf for capacitance (using 300.)

Wondering if the MS preamp is not a good match for the Apheta, and/or I just need to get used to the character of the Apheta. This is my first MC, after 20 years with a Goldring 1042 on a Planar 3. OR, is the Apheta just not broken in yet?

10. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

It didn't take long for my Apheta to break in, maybe several records or so and I also find the highs smooth and natural. The phono pre's gain is set at 69 and capacitance is at a 1000 pf, load at 100 ohms and VTF at 1.8. I don't have a single complaint about the way this setup sounds . To me its perfect .

cut-out likes this.
  11. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

Before making any big changes, one thing you could try is to minimize the affect of high frequency interferences, they can give you that etched sound. Turn off any computers and DACs and CD players in the area, no routers or streamers either. Run the Nova II in battery mode and connect the digital switching power supply as far away as possible, preferably in another AC socket from the other components. If using a powered subwoofer, switch off for now since it is full of digital processing too. The NEO power supply should be as far away from turntable and premp as possible too since it uses high speed digital synthesis for the motor drive.

Now listen to one of those trouble records and hear if that makes any difference in the highs. I would also be tempted to increase the cartridge load to either the 660 or 1000 ohm settings as a test. May not help, but worth a try as it's all free :)

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    cut-out likes this.
  12. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

Thanks @Davey I’ll try all of those suggestions!

13. Plinko

Plinko Senior Member

Cut-out, you might be having the exact same experience I did. My Apheta 2 took quite a while to break in...longer than 60 hours. Finally settled down and sounds wonderful.

cut-out likes this.
  14. cut-out

cut-out Forum Resident

15. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Well I have taken the plunge - Planar 8, Alpheta 2 and Aria phono stage arriving on Saturday. :pineapple:

16. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Congratulations! You won't regret it.

xfilian likes this.
  17. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

[​IMG]

First spin last night.....

18. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I bet that sounds amazing! Alpheta 2/Aria are a top-shelf combo! Congrats.

displayname and xfilian like this.
  19. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

No, you are quite right. Last night was a quick setup just to have a quick listen. Things are getting a bit better organised today.

So far, I have to say I am blown away by this little record player, cart and preamp. A big upgrade from my previous table for sure (Project Debut Carbon Esprit + Ortofon Bronze) but also a big cost upgrade, so I would expect to hear some difference. However, this really is a huge step up. The soundtstage is huge, the dynamics fabulous. Music just fills the room and washes over me in such a pleasurable manner. It is a completely immersive sound that just envelops and carries you away. Its kinda like a stereo version of 5.1 but - unlike 5.1 - it feels like a completely natural surround sound, if that makes sense. Just beautiful and no doubt things will improve as the cartridge breaks in a bit.

bluesaddict, Morbius and Echoes Myron like this.
  20. Echoes Myron

The Alpheta creates a massive soundstage.

xfilian likes this.
  21. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

All together, you have yourself a nice little system there.

xfilian and Echoes Myron like this.
  22. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

A couple of questions for owners:

Do you chaps bother with the felt mat of just put a record on the bare glass platter?

Was there a 1.7 mm Allen key included with your Planar 8 to adjust the speed? I can't seem to find one in my box and a 1.7mm seems to be an odd size to find (have got loads of 1.5mm and 2.0mm).

Also, what tracking weight are you using on the Apheta 2? It seems to be quite sensitive to tracking weight, with bass increasing noticeably with added weight. Am sitting at around 1.85 at the moment which seems to be a happy medium.

displayname likes this.
  23. Echoes Myron

You are supposed to use the felt.

I use my Alpheta 2 at around 1.81 if I recall. Go with what sounds best.

Can't answer the allen wrench question, but speed should be correct from the factory.

24. Morbius

Morbius Forum Resident

Like Echoes says the felt mat is integral to the design, it is a very precise thickness and is vital to having the correct VTA. In addition it is made of 100% wool and Roy Gandy believes it is the ideal coupling between the record and the platters surface. I believe it contributes significantly to the players sound.

Lots of people have mentioned that they couldn't find the tool for the PSU upon receiving their turntable myself included, no biggie though since I've felt no need to "Mickey" with the speed of the deck.

I think 1.85 is pretty close to the sweet spot. I originally had mine at a tick over 1.9 but after a week or two found the bass a little heavy and reduced it to 1.8. I wonder though how it would work at 1.75, if it would still track as exceptionally as it does at 1.8 and give a hedge (minimally?) in record wear. I've been thinking I might investigate this in the future.

displayname, Echoes Myron and xfilian like this.
  25. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Yeah, use the felt mat. Key to Rega decks. Tracking, 1.75 to 1.9 as you prefer. Congrats Exfilian.

displayname, Morbius and xfilian like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.