Rega Planar one stylus upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by earlcook, May 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. earlcook

earlcook Member Thread Starter

Hi there , I was wanting to replace the standard carbon stylus on my rega 1 I've heard this will fit ? just wanting to confirm if this is true before I send off for it , apparently its a better stylus than the carbon one .. guess Im scared I will be wasting $130 NZD and it wont fit :)
    LP Gear ATN3600DLXHE stylus - replaced by ATN3600DLXVL stylus

Assuming also the tracking force will be the same as the rega 1 is plug and play and cant see how to adjust it ?

2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I think it will fit but I dont dare say with confidence since this is a new model.

But if so then yes you just plug and play. Any particular reason for upgrading?

Welcome to the forum by the way ;^)

earlcook likes this.
  3. earlcook

Thanks Leon a few reviews I've read seem to rant about it . and Im not sure how easy it is to change the cart on a RP1
    Unreal update to anyone with a Rega carbon cart.

March 14, 2019 by Patrick (United States)
    “I’m a noob with vinyl. That said, I do know what I like... but can’t believe what I’ve been missing in our world of digital itunes audio... I bought a Rega Planar 1 to get started. Quickly replaced the subplatter (wasn’t true), and added the glass platter from the Rega 3. All of this made audible changes to my ears. I was researching carts and a few of the highly recommended ones would require a VTA change to be optimal.... instead I replaced the stylus... Wow!. Unreal difference. Basically I was listening to a cone shape.. and it suddenly opened up to a half circle. Volume was litterally doubled.. sound more open and detailed. Just unreal. Can’t wait to live with all of this a bit more.. and then see what the next level is like... I do have a good speakers (b&w), and am using the Cambridge Audio Solo MM preamp. NAD integrated amp.”
    Why LP Gear?
    Online recommendation.
    Product Choice
    Online recommendation

Verified Buyer
    “Great value”
    Hear the difference
    January 24, 2019 by George
    “I could hear the difference immediately, this is the best cartridge available for the turnable I have.”

4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Ask LP Gear. Why ask us? They would be able to verify this first hand with both the cartridge and they stylus.

5. earlcook

Thanks vinylontubes no harm in asking folks with knowledge I was thinking , will contact LP gear

6. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Well, I dont think itll be as huge of a difference as they point out. But it will be easy to swtch.

7. earlcook

Cheers Leon ... lol yes Im skeptical .. but keen to give it a try

8. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

What about the Rega Bias 2?
    I like it on my RP1 and it'll be an easier change.

jlykos likes this.
  9. earlcook

My planer 1 came with that in the upgrade kit and it was distorting went back to the carbon :) apparently not compatible with my tone arm (RB110)

10. pez

pez Forum Resident

How will it be an easier change? Isn’t the lpgear one just a case of slotting the carbon stylus for the LP gear, whereas the bias would mean a screwdriver and changing the cart too?
    Anyone here get the LP gear one? I need a new stylus for mine and am tempted.

on a separate note, slight bit of knocking sound coming from the motor of my Rega planar 2 (2016) now.. any ideas!?

11. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

In the golden years of audio, enthusiasts had the opportunity to audition various equipment prior to making a purchase decision. Nowadays, that is not possible with the rarity of brick and mortar audio shops, social-distancing with Covid-19, and the cessation of listening opportunities at audio stores. Thus our rationale and compelling reason for LP GEAR's comparative videos.

In this video, we offer you the experience to audiition three ubiquitous cartridges: The Audio-Technica AT3600L, LP GEAR CF3600LE, and the AT3600L cartridge with upgraded LP GEAR ATN3600VL stylus. To eliminate volume bias, we adjusted the output volume to be the same for all cartridges.

Notes: In comparative listening, we found the three cartridges, not surprisingly, to possess the signature AT3600 sound (light, detailed, shallow-depth, fairly balanced). Of the three, the AT3600L cartridge with upgraded LP GEAR ATN3600VL stylus offers the best sound: smooth, delicate highs and an airier tonal presentation. The CF3600LE comes in second with slightly more depth of field and better handling of complex detail than the standard AT3600L. Overall, if you are unencumbered by low-price discrimination, you could live happily with any of the three. The notable winner? YOU. Get one or two or all to enjoy! You can afford this

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    SpeedMorris likes this.
  12. pez

pez Forum Resident

Thanks, and will they all fit without adaptation , onto a Rega Carbon Cart?

13. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

AT3600l=Rega Carbon. No difference.

patient_ot likes this.
  14. pez

pez Forum Resident

He switched the whole cart , I just want to do the stylus

15. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

He did not swicht the whole cart, he was doing a comparison...nevermind.

The Audio-Technica AT3600L, Rega Carbon, LP GEAR CF3600LE, and the LP GEAR ATN3600VL , all are the same cartridge w\ interchangeable stylus.

16. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

I bought the $80 LP Gear stylus for my Rega Carbon on the Planar 2. I have to say I don't recommend it. It was very detailed but not very fun to listen to. I wouldn't recommend spending this much on a stylus for the Planar 1.

If you want an easy stylus swap and something possibly better then the carbon I think LP Gear had another option for replacement stylus. Still carbon but with a different tip. Give that one a shot. Forget the model number.

17. pez

pez Forum Resident

Well I’ve ordered the LP Gear CARBON FIDELITY CFN3600LE stylus so will see how it sounds on the Rega Carbon cart of my planar 2 and let you know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.