REL high level connection

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheDarp, Sep 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDarp

TheDarp New Member Thread Starter

I have two REL subs. Can I connect the high level cable at the speaker terminals rather than at the amp terminals? Could this affect the performance in any way?

2. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Forum Resident

No, this does not work. Connct the subwoofers to your amp.

F1nut likes this.
  3. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

This

4. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

What do you mean it doesn't work? There is speaker wire from the amp to the speakers, why not pick up the signal at the speaker terminals, where the wire from the amp terminates? Just saves the OP some wire. The RELs work best with the high level input, so you can leave the mains untouched and use the REL to support the lowest end (where most mains can't go anyway). I run RELs and they blend very well in this hook-up scenario.

JorgeGvb likes this.
  5. Joshua Tree

I tried it, it didn't work with my system. That's what I meant.

6. TheDarp

TheDarp New Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers. Joshua, do you have a REL sub, or a similar sub that has both high level and LFE inputs that can be connected and run simultaneously? If so, what was the issue? SQ or something else?
    My cables are awkward to get at, so I don’t want to go messing around until I know what the issues are. Thanks.

7. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

I remember reading about this in a different forum, where several members chimed in to say that it DOES work, and there's really no difference. If you're touching the speaker connection at the amp or at the speaker, it's exactly the same.

Caveat: Currently using REL's with a low-level connection, and I haven't tried the "jumper" technique, but I plan to at some point. Grounding might be the only question mark.

8. Wayne Nielson

Do you have an REL? That is how they are meant to be hooked up, or then I don't understand your connection method. Perhaps a wiring diagram would make things clearer.

REL------------main speaker left----------------amp----------------main speaker right------------------REL.

The REL input wires have to share with the speaker wires on the speaker terminals. Black goes to (-) red or yellow (or both tied together) go to the (+) of the speaker terminal. Since you are running the REL in mono mode, you can sum the left and right channels to take advantage of both channels of the stereo sub amp.

9. terzinator

terzinator boots lost in transit

I think he means he ran the high-level connection directly from his amp's speaker connections, not simply as a short "jumper" from his main speakers, as in your diagram.

I think he's saying the jumper technique didn't work for him.

10. Joshua Tree

Your reading skills seem to be off this morning. Yes, I have a REL subwoofer. I have it connected to my amp, not to my speakers.

This was the original question:

Out of curiosity I tried it with my speakers and it didn't work.

bever70 likes this.
  11. Wayne Nielson

There is not one reason why it doesn't work. Lets see your wiring diagram of how you had it hooked up..........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.