Replacement platter thickness

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by confusedcitizen, Jun 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

That's good that the acrylic is 10mm. Genuine Rega platters are all over the Internet. It was not like that when I bought mine. Measuring the stock platter is not easy as it has that 3 section ring on the bottom that sits on the subplatter. Changing mine from the stock platter and subplatter to the 12mm glass Rega platter and Groovetracer Reference
    subplatter really changed it from a lightweight thin sounding turntable into a masterful turntable with great speed stability and deep bass. If there had been a P6 model back then, I would have bought it. The RP6 still had the plastic subplatter. I never did like the RP line. The current P series is light years ahead. Except for the fixed AS on the P1 and P2.

2. confusedcitizen

confusedcitizen Active Member Thread Starter

i still don’t get why the 10mm acrylic platter sits lower by almost half a cm if the stock platter is 10mm also

PhxJohn likes this.
  3. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I want to get this clear. If you put the 10mm acrylic platter onto the subplatter, the top surface of the acrylic platter is 5mm lower than the top surface of stock platter on the subplatter ?

4. confusedcitizen

confusedcitizen Active Member Thread Starter

correct.

5. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

That is actually a good thing. Rega tonearms are set up for Rega cartridges which are 14mm tall. They are the shortest cartridges. With a lower platter, you can use a taller cartridge. If you have 5mm slack, you can go to the 12mm thick glass platter. Just make sure that you take note of the tonearm. You will want it level, parallel with the platter with your Nagaoka 110. I keep pushing the glass platter. The 12mm glass one is heavy. Better speed stability. Better bass and 'attack' than softer acrylic.

6. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

Let me know what you decide on or if you want some help deciding. I can't get used to the idea of not using a mat. I tried my glass platter with no mat. Using the very thin RP10 mat(there should be aP10 mat now) there was not much difference in sound when adding the thin mat. I like it a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.