Report: NBC Discussing Leno Exit Strategy (Update: Fallon gets the job)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PennyLanes

PennyLanes Well-Known Member

Have to agree with you about the chemistry between Fallon and Timberlake but I thought Smith was pretty fantastic tonight...and (even though I'm not their biggest fan) I genuinely thought U2 gave a great performance (Invisible ~ rooftop). Lots of raw energy and organic chemistry throughout the "1st Fallon Show" guest list. :cool:

DLant likes this.
  2. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Couldn't have said it any better! :righton:

Evan L and PennyLanes like this.
  3. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

U2 did a acoustic performance of Ordinary Love with The Roots and did a brief snippit of Stairway to Heaven?

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Yes, very brief.

5. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

The Roots nailed Will Smith's intro song (Boogie Down Productions I'm Still No.1 Numero Uno Re-Recording) with the new horns.

Jimmy took Leno's advice and really lengthened the monologue too , that could be a mixed bag.

6. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I stopped watching Jay a long time ago and I didn't know enough about Fallon to have an opinion. From what I saw tonight, I think NBC finally did something right! He has a long future iMO. Very gracious host, and I can see why he is so liked...in just one show. Also have to respect his talent, obvious in so many ways, again with just one viewing! I have been missing out. Look forward to watching a late night show again on a nightly basis. Letterman is incredibly boring, and I used to be among his biggest fan. Like watching groundhog day....same thing show after show.

Mrs. Beeton, OldSoul and PennyLanes like this.
  8. PennyLanes

T
    The guy is the quintessential triple-threat IMO. His comedic timing is excellent, he's a (very talented) musician AND he's incredibly humble...couple those 3 with him just genuinely being so likeable and you've got very real potential for a new era of The Tonight Show.

Exciting to see how it all unfolds and grows. Really loved the cameos of his mom and dad in the audience tonight. A very smart page out of the mega-Ryan-Seacrest-success-story, IMO. Instantly made you love him and his (very cute) family. Personally, I'm wishing Fallon well and hoping his popularity takes off and soars exponentially in the nights to come. :thumbsup:

Jrr, DLant and OldSoul like this.
  9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Does anyone have a list of the celebrity walk-ons?

Evan

10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Here's hoping we still get Thank You Notes. 7.gif

" Thank you grown man wearing a backpack, for letting me know in advance, I don't have to take anything you say seriously. "

905 likes this.
  11. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

He's got a long way to go but he might get there.
    But before he gets there, please fix the mix and tone down the over-loud, over-hyped audience responses. The 100 buck bet bit was funny but it wasn't THAT funny.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  12. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

13. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

So far, I love it. I watched Jimmy a lot, around 2010-2011, but took to Craig. Then I noticed Jimmy's show kinda took a nose dive in quality, but it was improving a lot last year, and I completely like him, again. I love Letterman, but, at least for the time being, I'm watching Jimmy if I'm up.

And I can't say how much I LOVE this set. I feel like I'm the only person in the world that really notices sets, but this one shouldn't go unnoticed. The best set in late night, right now.

14. PennyLanes

Ha! I loved that bit! My aunt is...well...approximately...er..."older" (?)...and she loved it, too, FWIW! Ya have to admit, it was a pretty diverse and impressive star-lineup of $100 losers! :D In all seriousness, I can't remember any new host for the show ever coming in with a bigger star-littered-bang. Just hoping he can build on tonight and keep the momentum building in nights to come. He's got the talent so the potential is definitely there. :thumbsup:

15. OldSoul

I'm rooting for Jimmy, full throttle. I've NEVER been excited to watch Tonight, but I actually had two dreams leading up to tonight, and can't wait for the rest of the week. I really didn't think NBC played the right card in this, at first, but I definitely think they did, now. Screw, "Well, The Tonight Show should be..." It's about entertainment, that's all, and Jimmy is definitely going to succeed.

PennyLanes likes this.
  16. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The set just oozes class.

Evan

PennyLanes, DLant and OldSoul like this.
  17. OldSoul

It really does. I don't think I've seen a set (out of all the current ones and all the clips of old ones I've seen) that so perfectly fits a late night show. It's not too bright, not too big, the coloring is nice, the backdrop is great, it seems so OPEN...
    From what I've seen of Conan's Tonight set, it was REALLY nice, but too big and bright.

I can't believe this is the same studio that housed Late Night.

Jrr likes this.
  18. amoergosum

Incredible performance.

PennyLanes likes this.
  19. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Agreed, but maybe a little too similar in tone to a recent Letterman appearance:

20. OldSoul

It's 2:20 and I still can't get this off my mind. I am so STOKED. It's ridiculous. I've never felt this way about a show. I don't even know why I do feel like this. :laugh:

PennyLanes and Evan L like this.
  21. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

It's a home run.

Evan

PennyLanes and OldSoul like this.
  22. amoergosum

OldSoul likes this.
  23. amoergosum

24. amoergosum

25. Mrs. Beeton

Mrs. Beeton Active Member

Why do I get the impression that Conan's tweet about Fallon and Meyers is actually about himself? Couldn't he have omitted the first part of the tweet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.