Return of the Living Dead 1985 Horror-Comedy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Scotian, Sep 21, 2022.

1. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed Thread Starter

I was a pretty big fan of writer/director Dan O'Bannon from his work in Heavy Metal magazine & the John Carpenter movie Dark Star (watch it) so I couldn't wait for this bonkers entry into the Zombie genre. I saw it at the theatre when it came out & loved it. Last night, after consuming an excellent brownie, I decided to pull the DVD out & see how it held up in 2022. Any of the current hot, young directors could have made this today as a retro homage to B movies & people would love it.

This trailer gives away a lot of the plot points so if you do plan to watch it, maybe skip the trailer.

2. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Send more cops!

Dan

3. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed Thread Starter

& paramedics

4. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Return of the Living Dead and Day of the Dead came out the same year, and I remember lots of debates among my fellow horror movie fans about which was the better zombie flick of the year. I loved both of them but, at the time, I was in Team "Day", mostly because of its place in the (un)holy Romero trinity. But, for whatever reason, Return is the movie that is more indelibly stamped into my memory. My guess is that Linnea Quigley's iconic performance may have something to do with that....

And, of course, 1985 was also the year that one of my favorite horror films of all time, Re-Animator, came out. What a time to be a horror movie fan!

altaeria, unclefred, hi_watt and 3 others like this.
  5. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Love love love this film. Shame recent remaster couldn't get all the music rights.

6. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

Love it. I saw it at the drive-in in 1985 as a teenager. I bought the blu ray a few years ago and it really has held up remarkably well. Really one of the finest horror comedies ever, IMO.

7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

"anyone up for a gang-bang?"

hi_watt likes this.
  8. mecano

mecano Escape The Human Myth

I saw it in 1985 as a teenager-great music Cramps,Jet Black Berries and of course Burn the Flames· Roky Erickson

Echoes71 and mr. steak like this.
  9. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

I watched it for the first time a few weeks ago. It was fun but probably not something I'll come back to all that often. For some reason I went in thinking it was the actual sequel to Dawn, not realizing that Day is actually that film, so that may have added to the confusion. It certainly left me scratching my head until I did some research and figured out the difference.:laugh:

Echoes71 likes this.
  10. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Me too. Bought soundtrack. Half is very very good.

Movie made little impression then and the clips I see now don't change that.

mecano likes this.
  11. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Such a hilarious film. The cast was very good, with veteran actors that knew their craft.

Scotian, Shoes1916 and twicks like this.
  12. Crack To The Egg

Crack To The Egg Forum Resident

What’s missing?

twicks likes this.
  13. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Toss-up between this and "American Werewolf In London" for the funny/scary/haunting triple crown.

Curveboy, unclefred and Shoes1916 like this.
  14. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

It's an absolute classic - Rocky Horror good. :)

unclefred likes this.
  15. Shoes1916

Shoes1916 Forum Resident

BRAINS!!!!

16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

A really good one. And creepy as hell. Decent story. An appealing horror film for sure.

Shoes1916 and twicks like this.
  17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I saw it recently for the first time. Not sure about the nudity, I guess it was a selling point, but thought the film was fun and we'll made with some clever ideas.

18. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

I believe the Damned’s “Dead Beat Dance.” has never been included on any North American Blu-ray

19. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I think an early MGM DVD included the Damned song, but no subsequent U.S. disc, including Scream Factory's upcoming 4K, have it. The rumor is that The Damned (or their management) ask for too much money, more than any company could afford to spend and still make a profit on RotLD.

However, the UK label Second Sight issued Return of the Living Dead on blu-ray with all of the original music, and it was a region-free disc. That's out of print, but we can hope Second Sight issues the movie again on region-free 4K. The licensing laws are different in Europe. Someone on the blu-ray.com forums explained that Second Sight only had to license the Damned song from the record label, not the band, and it cost them much less. I'm not a lawyer, though, so I'm not sure how accurate this is.

20. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

LIVE BRAINS!!!

A group of us in college had the soundtrack on cassette in '85. It was awesome.

Dan

21. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Yep. I believe this is all accurate

SmallDarkCloud likes this.
  22. If the number of kids who knew this song in my junior high school is any indication, this song might've had a shot at being a hit if it was released as a single.

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have this BD...
    [​IMG]

Scotian likes this.
  24. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I wonder if most people have seen it by now..

Ah man!!

25. SSoundLtd

SSoundLtd Forum Resident

"I thought you said if we destroyed the brain it'd die!"
    "It worked in the movie!"
    "Well it ain't workin now Frank!"
    "You mean the movie lied?!"