REVIEW: Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Seeker, Oct 18, 2015.

1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

They didn't sound awesome with any of my amps so they were sent back.

2. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Thanks. Mixed reviews on these speakers. Some people love them, others don't. Perhaps the Denton require careful amp pairing.

3. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

More open sound-dynamics.

4. action pact

I tried them with 75 wpc of solid state (recapped Yamaha CR-1020, a fairly "cool" sounding amp) and a 28 wpc Fisher tube amp, and the results were comparable, leading me to conclude that I just didn't like their inherent character.

They were up against some stiff competition, a pair of KEF LS50's; but I was led to expect that I might possibly like them more. They were very much outclassed.

Right out of the box, they had a pretty lively character, and as they broke in (10-15 hours maybe?) the observed liveliness receded, and they became rather dark-sounding. Some reviewers have commented on their "vintage" voicing, and that's not incorrect; they are somewhat similar in character to AR4x's and the like, with a similarly rolled off top end.

These speakers might wake up more with a lot more power thrown at them than I had on hand, but they weren't impressive with my amps. I need to acknowledge that it is said that 100 hours is required for complete break-in, but I didn't think that would make a difference to me ultimately.

They are pretty to look at though.

5. Daedalus

Interesting-I didn't like them initially with some live Grateful Dead vault CDs and didn't bother playing that type of music with them. Several months later I tried again with same CD and was pleasantly surprised at the difference. The amp used each time was my old Marantz 2523 receiver. Of course, this stuff is very subjective. My opinions will change on a lot of stuff over time. But anyway I like them very much. Some highly touted audiophile stuff I have not cared for-so go figure.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Gradese

Gradese Forum Resident

Absolutely. And I found out that amp pairing is quite elusive and unpredictable with these. They have to "take a liking" to an amp. In my room they didn't sound particularly great with either a Nad C326BEE or a
    Teac AR650MKII, but they really shine with a humble Onkyo 9010 (UK edition). For some reason, and despite the 6 ohm impedance, they don't seem to particularly need/like more powerful amps.

And, you also need to spend some time with the positioning. They have to be seriously removed from any back or lateral wall, about 50 cm, but not too much more, to fully display their main asset, which is a lush and deep soundstage. They'll never be the last word in detail, but I found out that for a rich and non fatiguing sound, and given the right positioning/pairing, they are simply amazing and outclass the other speakers in the same (or superior) prince range which I was able to test, such as Dali Zensor 3 or Q Acoustics 3050. Well, that's my experience anyway.

bluemooze likes this.
  7. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

I bought them from a member of this forum. Wasn't that impressed over my B&W 601s which I wanted to replace. Sold them locally for the same price but set them up to demo for the buyer in a better space and they sounded pretty good. Still sold them and got Sonus Faber used.

flipturtle likes this.
  8. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

I'm thinking on buying a Zensor 3 (that is if I find a dealer in Houston where I can demo one). I find your comment of the Denton vs Z3 interesting. Maybe I should try the Dentons too.

Thanks

9. Darksyde

Darksyde New Member

I'm still liking my Dentons , I'm using them with a Yamaha A S501 . I think they sound lively with pretty much anything I listen to . I was pleasantly surprised at how good they sound playing audio from my tv .

MackKnife likes this.
  10. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

I bought 4 of them six months ago, along with a Wharfedale center and sub, in order to do a quality budget 5.1 system in my small room (12x14).

I'm really happy with them, they are being driven by a Marantz MM8077 amp (and a corresponding Marantz pre-amp), with playback from an Oppo 105D. I've noticed that only recently have they been sufficiently broken in, so they are definitely sounding nicer than they did out of the box. My room is small, volume needs aren't skyhigh, and with quality m-ch mixes, I'm really happy with what I hear. The thing I like the most about them is that they do not fatigue me, I can listen for long periods of time. I can't do that with my KEF XQ20 speakers, which sound terrific, but I find them very fatiguing fairly early on, the sound just a tad too clinical and unforgiving for my long-term listening needs.

Could I have found better for the same money? Maybe. Color me happy with what I have right now, very good sonic value for the money.

bluemooze and SandAndGlass like this.
  11. EricCuda

EricCuda Forum Resident

Thought I'd chime in here being a one year Denton owner now....now with a 2nd pair. I'll will desperately try to be brief!

My first pair of Denton's replaced some entry level Polk Audio floor standers and sounded much better in comparison a year ago....as I begab upgrading my system...so I thought the Denton was an easy "win" for me, then. I thought this was THE speaker for me at this price point as obtained from MusicDirect for $499.

My daughter loved the sound of these....and is starting her first stereo system, so I gave her these Dentons and the Onkyo receiver (60 wpc) I used to drive them. Prob a little underpowered, but the sound was good at lower volumes, as I've even posted in another thread herein the Hoffman forums.

So, liking the Denton's, I ordered another pair last week....and the 2nd pair is definitely brighter and a little more harsh out of the box than the current pair....with the same system...at the same moderate listening levels. The newer ones are much more bright and more "metallic"...at least with 10hrs on them, or so. They are definitely NOT the "vintage" easy to listen to high-mid range sound of my previous pair. I A-B'd the old pair to the new pair on the same Onkyo and there's definitely a LOT more HF in the newer pair and the previous pair sound almost dull in comparison, but I thought the orig pair was just fine..before the comparison, but the old pair does seem a little dull in the high end...even if trying to be objective on cymbal crashes...without the A-B psychology playing with my head...but I never noticed until the A-B, of course. The new pair is not "breaking up" or distorting, by the way.

An interesting sidenote: I also purchased a Yamaha A-S701 Integ amp (100wpc) with that same 2nd set of Denton's from MusicDirect....and a similar A-B test concludes the same thing, with the newer pair being more "bright". The Yamaha definitely drives the Denton's much easier, albeit a LOT more neutral than my 10yr old Onkyo receiver. I only have to turn the Yamaha about 1/3 way up for the pressure level I like; whereas on the Onkyo, I had to go about 2/3 on the dial. So, I imagine I may need "break-in" on the new Yamaha, as well, to hear it "open-up" a little and hear it at its best, which most on this forum and others, deem as "accurate" and "neutral".

I listen to the speakers on 31" Wharefedale speaker stands about 3 ft from the rear wall...attempting to achieve the rule of thirds as best I can, in my listening bedroom, fyi.

So...my question to the Denton group here....is it possible I just need more break-in on the new pair? Is this possibly just quality control-passed variation? If break in is advised, what would you all typically do to accelerate the break-in process for these speakers and the new integrated amp? How long would you go for "break-in" before deciding on return/exchange actions (I have 60 days with MusicDirect).

Thanks all!

The Seeker and Ivand like this.
  12. action pact

I found the Dentons to have "natural" top end at first, and then they became much duller and more rolled off after break-in... which is why I returned them.

13. Gradese

Gradese Forum Resident

I confirm, they positively need breaking in, and they positively become more soft and rolled off with time... which is why I love them :) ...and after trying many, many speakers in the same price range, I can safely say these are the ones I'll grow old with...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    bhazen, 2point1 and Matthew like this.
  14. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

I received mine a month ago. At first, I thought they were really muffled, with over-emphasized mid-range and exceesively tamed treble. Imaging, soundstage was just not there. Terrible speaker I thought. I have let them "break-in" during the day while I was gone, giving them at least 60hrs of workout, checked them out a couple weeks after, and I was ready to ship back.
    It took mine better isolation between speaker and stand, and stand and floor, some placement adjustments, and 100hrs of either "break-in" or acclimatization to really start showing some good qualities - they are on the warm side and smooth, image very well with soundstage that extended well beyond the speakers.
    I was looking for such a speaker and they are it! They are a pleasure to listen to. And what a great look.
    They are a keeper.

MackKnife and bluemooze like this.
  15. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Implied lesson from this page -- let 'em get fully broken in!! Don't make judgements after only 100 hrs. or so of use. Like a lot of small standmounts with Kevlar/Aramid midwoofers, they need to be pummeled with serious full range music for several weeks to get loosened up.

action pact and F1nut like this.
  16. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Yeah. And then again...

[​IMG]

avanti1960 likes this.
  17. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Guys, are you being fair? The LS50's are three times the price of the Denton's!

Every Warferdale I have ever heard, I would describe as unassuming. If I was looking for a speaker with great dynamics, I would not be thinking Warferdale any more than if I wanted a sporty sedan, I would not be thinking Buick.

A speaker with impressive dynamics, is but a single aspect of audio. Since I like to listen to audio for long periods of time, I am not looking for listening fatigue. There is something very positive about unassuming.

If you want a pleasant speaker to listen to, the above members seem to recommend the Denton's. Our other member are telling us, that if you want dynamics, go elsewhere.

And that is my take on this thread. Which, IMO, has done a excellent job of achieving the purpose, for which it was created.

I will tell ya, I have bought some real nice equipment that is heavily discounted.

Being discounted is no more of a reason to make a purchasing decision than paying retail price for something.

We don't always get what we pay for, but we definitely pay for what we get. (I just paid $10 at Starbuck's on a tea and a cup of Jo)

Gumboo, action pact and Daedalus like this.
  18. Daedalus

I am still enjoying my Dentons. I do not imagine I could ever sell these speakers-I love their sound quality with the types of music I play and they are a good match with a couple of my keeper amps. Plus on looks alone-Wow. Trophy speakers!! Ha.

matteos and Darksyde like this.
  19. Daedalus

Different strokes for different folks. It is all good. My son wants Monster BASS and could care less about vintage jazz, classical etc-so he wants a different animal altogether. That's fine.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  20. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

I am liking my Wharfedale Diamond 10.2's

bhazen and SandAndGlass like this.
  21. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Music Direct has marked down the Dentons to $399 for today only.

bhazen and Dino like this.
  22. The Seeker

The Seeker Forum Resident Thread Starter

Been thinking about the Dentons again and how they might make one hell of a system with one or two small 10" subwoofers. The Denton's tonal balance is hard to forget. I loved the way they voiced the speaker. The reason I'm writing about them again is that I wonder what they would sound like with 100-200 watts of solid state power with a tube preamp. Was the upper mid shriek I experienced really the sound of my tube amps falling apart and failing to control the drivers?

23. matteos

matteos Stereotype

I've enjoyed reading this thread. I've not heard the Denton's. but I'll say this judging by looks alone they look phenomenal. they look way more expensive then they are. that finish is to die for. very beautiful speakers. glad you all are enjoying them.

24. Gibson67

Gibson67 Life is a Magical Mystery Tour enjoy the ride

Hi all

I've currently have the Wharfedale 9.1's which although are a lower priced budget speaker, these multi award winners, IMO punch way above their weight.

I'm afraid as much as I love the sound they give, the time for an upgrade bug has got me, so I'm considering a move to the 80th anniversary's. A have a modest little setup, a Nad 3020 amp, Thorens 160 TT, and an Arcam CD player.

I'd like to hear fellow members opinions, would you consider the 80th anniversary's a great leap from my 9.1's?

25. Felix Bernardi

Felix Bernardi Active Member

Would like to share ,...
    I purchased my denton on Aug after read so many good review in this site ( also in Another site ).This speaker has it's charm as they look very classic and so classy.Still have some other speakers in my rooms : wharfedale 9.1- 75th anniversarry model ,swan active -monitor D1080-IV ,Quad 11 L2 and myDIY Floor stander.
    I always like my Quad book shelf a lot and think that these are the best budget speaker that I've owned.So I hope this Denton will be as my next upgrade speaker ,...with high expectation upon them.
    When hooked up on my system using amp : Cambridge audio 640A ,Rotel1070 and switched between them , I found Denton sound as dull and nothing special. Been reading Denton owner from folks here ,beside getting lot of praises ,also some ( not many people ) feel different way.I might think I belong to the minority whom felt unsatisfied with their performance. I have been waiting until they got break in, In the meantime I read over & over the share & review of these speaker. I think I can't find the special sonic character that I expected as My Quad speaker have. ALso the low end sound bloated and the overall character i felt muffled and boxy.Not as open and clear velvety sound as Quad. MY Quad sing so beautifully.
    It's been a couple months and I had in my mind of selling them. I think better to buy cambridge audio sx60 instead which last time I had them auditioned together with Denton.At that time Sx60 performed very well and sound big ,clear open &very good tonal ballance. Only if not the Denton look that I found so hard to miss, I might choose Sx60 right away : ).
    SO, did I Made a mistake?
    Before any further action,i read over& over the review
    Of these speaker from this site member & various comments .At topic discussion re: binding post & suggestion on how to connect the cable at the back, I just think why not to examine mine. I just followed that suggestion given and found as well that apparently the binding metal post of my speaker( one of them) wasn't connect well ,as it is slightly angled & not in firmed position . Wow, I never check this before. After coincidentally found it & fixed it, I put them on again and I think my Denton are well now!
    To be honest I'm not sure whether It 's the metal post improper installation ,which caused all the problem, only now I can enjoy the Denton sound that expected: open & crystal clear sound. Not to mention the lower end produce weighty base.Hmmm,...It's been three days now and I 'm still enjoying the sound improvement .

Speaking about the great leap from W 9.1 , IMO :yes !As well as Quad 11L2 and ca sx60 that I experienced , They are in my opinion considered to be best upgrade speaker choices over 9.1.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2016
    The Seeker and action pact like this.