REVIEW: Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Seeker, Oct 18, 2015.

1. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Thanks for this.
    Obviously, you're a Sisters fan.
    How do they translate with the Dentons?
    For what it's worth, I used to know Steinman. We worked on a coupla projects together. And he always reminisced about that time recording MORE and THIS CORROSION.

Robert C likes this.
  2. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

How much distance do they need from the wall behind them?

3. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

In my experience, the Dentons have a tendency to 'colour' the sound of everything played on them. This is good, in my opinion, because I like that slightly warm and soft Denton sound. They have a 'thickening' quality, a bit like the effect analogue tape has on sound recording. It's a subtle quality but it seems to make a positive difference and promotes long listening.

In terms of how this effects the sound of the Sisters. The earlier material loses some of its spike and becomes more rounded, and any gated harshness in the latter material is controlled.

As a say, this is a subtle effect. It's not as if the music sounds remastered or drastically altered. However it does seem to reign in some production excesses and helps to make DIY recordings sound better than they probably should.

4. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

My main concern with the "warm, thickening" effect you describe is whether that would translate into bass boom in my room. That's why I asked the question yesterday (which as yet hasn't been responded to) about how far from the wall behind them can work with these. I can give them about 12-14 inches of distance.

My experience with rear-ported speakers has been not so much that they can emphasize low bass, but that they're prone to give a spotlighted and "wrong sound envelope" (best way I can describe it) in what I'm guessing is the 200 Hz region. I realize there are other options in the speaker world besides rear-ported, but I hate to close off from consideration what is without doubt the most popular speaker design being made today. Anyway, just curious if the Dentons alleviate this problem.

5. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I'm afraid I can't give a good answer to this question as I always used mine further into the room in a rule of thirds setup. However, I now use the speakers in a non-critical bedroom setup and don't find them boomy. They are warm sounding though.

Here is their measured response:

[​IMG]

Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary edition

riddlemay likes this.
  6. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Can any Denton 80th users answer this question?

I gave my entry level Wharfedale Diamond 220s to a friend a couple of years back.
    She now wants to upgrade as she feels that they're a little too bright, and lack strong midrange, however she likes the imaging, soundstage, and clarity (pretty much why I upgraded at the time, though quite surprisingly the 220s were excellent for the money given their budget status).
    So, I tell her that I'm on the fence with the Dentons and suggest check them out herself.
    This is a girl who listens to everything from the Stones and 70s rock to 80s Goth, rock, pop, etc. Sometimes metal.
    My instinct says that the Dentons are not for her - but I've never been in a room with them, so what do I know? Based on a couple of Youtube clips (I know, I know) she thought that they sounded 'boxy' in comparison to KEF LS50s through the same set up, same track.

If she springs for the Denton 80ths, what can she expect given her previous speakers as a comparison point and the genres of music that she listens to?
    I feel like she's mostly drawn to the aesthetic and the price range .... but again, that's just speculation.
    I'm tempted to pull the trigger next month myself, so may end up giving her a full demo ... but the upgrade fever is upon her, and I don't know if she can wait it out that long.

7. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

The LS50s produce a "hi-fi" sound-stage. It's exaggerated and unnatural IMO (but it's also great fun). The Denton is far more diffuse. One can't pick things out of the sound-stage with the Dentons as one can with the LS50. The Denton sound-stage is more cohesive and gives me what I'd expect from a real sound stage, especially with chamber music.

That's not to take anything away from the LS50. That speaker is a technological marvel and continues to offer cutting edge sound.

When it comes to stand-mount speakers, the LS50 is about as far away as one can get from the Denton!

ChrisR2060 and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Thanks for this. You're a Sabbath fan - how do you find Sabbath and similar bands through the Dentons?
    I'm cautious of recommending her something that may be a little too polite and not as defined as what she's looking for, however, I've since spoken to an amount of others who seem to favour the Denton 80ths for rock and even metal. Again - I'm yet to hear them in real life. Looking forward to trying a pair at the end of the month.

9. blgentry

blgentry Well-Known Member

I sold my Denton 80s and the new owner doesn't want the owner's manual, white gloves, Denton 80th anniversary brochure, or the plastic snap cover that contains all of this. I hate to throw it away since it's all so nice.

[​IMG]
    denton 2 — Postimages

[​IMG] postimg.cc
    [​IMG]
    denton 1 — Postimages

[​IMG] postimg.cc

Free to anyone who wants it. I only ask that you cover shipping. US addresses only please.

Brian.

ChrisR2060, 33na3rd and SandAndGlass like this.
  10. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Certainly the LS50 could give a more "defined" sound to some of Black Sabbath's more low-fi recordings than the Denton. I found it impossible to listen to heavy metal for extended periods on the LS50. Excruciating at times, due to the honesty of the LS50. Audiophiles that like to listen to lots of poorly produced/mastered music could find the LS50 challenging, in my opinion.

The LS50 is particularly well suited to: comparative listening, well produced/mastered music, joint hi-fi/home cinema set-up.

11. raye_penber

raye_penber .

So that's a tick in the yes column for the Denton 80ths and 70s/80s rock?

12. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Certainly.

I don't really go in for this idea of speakers being/not being able to play certain types of music. The vast majority of 70s/80s rock will sound absolutely fine on both the Denton and the LS50. However, if someone is listening to a lot of bright/harsh/distorted rock and metal then the LS50 will reveal a lot of that in exacting fashion, whereas the Denton will go some way to smoothing things out. That means the Denton is certainly less authentic than the LS50, but - for me - the Denton encourages longer listening sessions than the LS50 with those types of recordings.

13. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Thanks - that's what I wanted to hear. Have you ever used speakers from the Diamond range?
    She's currently using my old 220s, which - despite their budget status - were surprisingly good once broken in.
    I'm thinking that the Dentons will be a significant upgrade though?
    I went with Lintons in the end, which I love, despite them being a little too big for my current listening room.

14. Meehael

Meehael Forum Resident

If I generalize a little, knowing from my experience, ladies are usually less analytical (technical) about music and appreciate musicality and feelings. Dentons are certainly more about that.
    I have compared Dentons to Diamond 200 series. Dentons are more natural sounding and have better timbre presentation. Other than that not a big difference. Both are smooth and a tad warm sounding. It's like comparing plastic to wood. Wood being Dentons.

15. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

Re the LS50 "revealing" the harsh sound of some recordings...Isn't it possible that they are exaggerating the harsh sound? We really have no reference to tell us what is correct.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. prandelicious

prandelicious New Member

How do these compare with the Denton 85s?

17. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

I do not hear boominess with the Denton's close to back wall (9in). They have two small ports and they do not "breathe" an all lot. Same with the Lintons...

18. Super_Grover

Super_Grover Well-Known Member

Can anyone compare them to the ELAC DBR62? I was just about to pull the trigger on those, then got sucked into this thread. Looking to match with a vintage Sansui. Now starting to lean towards the Denton.

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  19. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Funny you asked...

A few months back I bought a pair of Wharfedale Denton 85s. I had a mixed experience with them. They sounded excellent (great sound stage, tight bass, fantastic instrument separation), but found them a little harsh for my taste at times and only emphasized issues like sibilance and hot cymbal crashes. I decided to return to Music Direct as I thought I spent too much money for those types of issues. They suggested the DBR62 as a replacement given my complaints about the 85s being too harsh. I got those and yes, while they were warmer than the 85s, I didn't think they sounded anywhere near as good as the 85s (not to mention being nowhere near as good looking or having the same build quality as the 85s). They are also great speakers, but the Wharfedales are in a different league (IMO). I was torn on what to do... Then I found a pair of Denton 80s on eBay for $350. I decided to bite the bullet and grab them. The owner said he's had them for 3-4 years and had at least 200-300 hours on them so they are nice and broken in. I got them recently and plugged them in and fell in love. They have everything I loved about the 85s without being too harsh. I do prefer the look of the 85s with the black fronts, but these are beautiful. The wood grain on my 80s is arguably better than the 85s. I should have just started with them to begin with! They are fantastic bookshelf speakers and keepers.

They aren't going anywhere!

20. Super_Grover

Super_Grover Well-Known Member

This is great to hear. I actually ordered a pair of open box DBR62 from ELAC. They took forever to ship them, then sent me the finish. When I notified them, they told me they no longer had the walnut in stock, and could only refund my purchase (which has been another ordeal and still hasn't happened, but whatever....)

Long story short, prior to ordering the ELACs, I was seriously considering the 80's. Then, just this week I had the opportunity to pick up a used pair for about what you paid. Done. They arrive this weekend. Can't wait.

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  21. Pretty.Odd.

You definitely made the right choice, you will love them!

22. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Add me to the pile.
    Just ordered a brand new pair in Walnut of the 80ths.
    Should arrive tomorrow.
    The Lintons, though excellent, are just too big in scale for my room, and the reflections are crazy.
    Meanwhile Lydia, a very good family friend, went with a pair of LS50s instead.
    Interesting to try them both in the same room eventually.

Robert C and 33na3rd like this.
  23. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Congrats on the new Dentons!

How are you finding the 80ths cope with rock and heavier music, 80s pop, etc?

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  24. Pretty.Odd.

I haven't played anything on them that I don't like yet to be honest. They definitely aren't quite as "lively" as the 85s, but I prefer that sound. They also aren't anywhere near as laid back as the Elacs, which I like. Right in the middle of the 85s and the Elacs.

I wouldn't judge them brand new once you get them. Everyone on this forum talks about how important the break in is. I can only comment on them after a good break in and they sound lovely.

33na3rd and raye_penber like this.
  25. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Yep, I'm aware of the break in period. I'll give some brief thoughts on them cold, and then report back once I've given them a good 100 hours play.
    Happy to hear that you've found the speakers for you :righton: Especially after the journey you've been on.
    I can't remember if we discussed already - what kind of music do you mostly listen to again?

Super_Grover and Pretty.Odd. like this.