REVIEW: Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Seeker, Oct 18, 2015.

1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I'm pretty sure it's leftover stock. The plate on the rear of my speakers still says "Limited Edition."

2. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

4. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Yes, but it is not available directly from them at this price.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  5. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

6. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I am sniffing around them as will need soon decent bookshelfs for my secondary system, maybe. Reviews are good, but I've read in some forum that some technician took them apart and found inside $20 tweeter and cheap components in the cross-over. Can't find that now.

7. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

How are these compared to Epos Epic2 speakers? Anyone ever heard them both ?

8. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

I'm actually skeptical its limited, I mean they came out with a new finish recently. I think they have been out since 2012.They used to not have a made in china sticker and now they do. And yeah I remember reading something about it being a very cheap tweeter. It does work well with the rest of the speaker, not the best extension however.

They really are awesome speakers for the money blah blah blah

never selling mine. lol

9. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

I've heard plenty of well-regarded (sub $500) speakers, both recent-production, and
    classic vintage, and these are unquestionably on top of the heap.

I am running them with a vintage tube amp, howerever. Can't say how well they pair up with solid state.

10. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

How do the Dentons compare to the Diamond 10.2's?

11. rxonmymind

rxonmymind Forum Resident

Have the Denton's running off of my new to me Sunfire cinema grand five channel amp and Sunfire theater grand processor in the master bedroom. (No video yet of that)

Oh boy. The sound is HUGE warm and a little laid back with goobs of bass being delivered. My type of amp. Although I did have to dial back the bass to zero as it just delivered a touch to much to my liking on the Wharfedales. Otherwise a fantastic combo with all three working perfectly together.

https://goo.gl/photos/5iStD4SWMLfk4P5Y9
    Not bad for $350. Glad I pulled the trigger on it.

12. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I'm powering mine with a Luxman 5m21 power amp. Sounds pretty sweet. Takes a while to break them in. Something about the Kevlar woofer I guess but the little things have more bass than they should.

13. action pact

Earlier I expressed dislike for these these speakers, but that was premature because they need a LONG time to break in.

I'm using them with a Fisher tube amp and the pairing is extraordinary.

rxonmymind and irender like this.
  14. Jack Flannery

I was the same way. When I got them one of the tweeters fell apart. Pushed it back together and it was fine but new, they were so flat sounding. No bass. Took weeks for them to sound decent. Now they are good.

15. rxonmymind

Yes they do. Kevlar takes awhile to break in. Nothing like paper cones. Same with carbon fiber.

16. action pact

I gotta say, my reviews of these speakers early in this thread have me cringing. I want to retract much of what I said, I'm loving these speakers now.

In fact, I sold my LS50s and kept the Dentons, and I'm trying to resist buying another pair in mahogany, to compliment my walnut pair , but in a second system. The current sale price is calling to me.

17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I've upgraded my original opinion about these, but...

I don't feel I'm hearing the speakers reproduce enough of:
    • The lower frequencies of vocals.
    • The lower frequencies of a harmonica.
    • All frequencies of a vibraphone.
    These sounds are all somewhere in the midrange so I'd expect them to be there in full. I compared the speakers against full range, floor standing, mid-range champs Kef 104.2s.

18. rxonmymind

Curious what current system are the Denton's paired too? :) How big is your listening room that they are in?

In my 20x 15 bedroom they are dang near in the corners (so kinda a bass cheat) and they play low with solid bass guitarist Victor Wooten & Stanley Clark.

19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Amplification is a vintage Sony STR-6055 receiver with much midrange goodness. Room is about 13X20.

Just to be clear, I didn't say anything about bass. I specifically mentioned midrange frequencies. :)

20. rxonmymind

"Lower frequencies"....
    I'm confused. If bass from a guitar can be hear how can the lower frequencies of other instruments not?
    "AllVibraphone frequency" happens to be between 174 hz and 1.4k
    6 string bass guitar is 31 hz - 523hz

They overlap in frequencies. :sigh:

As for harmonica NOW were talking!
    Charlie Musslewhite, Howlin wolf and Bob Dylan. It sounds ok to me?

21. AmericanHIFI

AmericanHIFI Long live analog (and current digital).

What about ELAC Unifi 5 bookshelves?? I thought they got the crown for $1000 and under.......
    They almost embarrass KEF LS50s.....

bhazen likes this.
  22. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I'm just reporting what I hear. Not applying logic to it. There is no logic to audio. It's only what your ears experience. :)

rxonmymind and AmericanHIFI like this.
  23. action pact

Are your speakers fully broken in?

24. Jack Flannery

They take a lot of time. Mine are in my office and they are on a lot and they changed character over a matter of months. They are on say every day for five hours? That's 150 hours in a month? 500 hours total or so before they were completely run in? I never paid attention much but that stereo is on a lot of time. Kinda sound thin and lifeless? Be patient because I hated the dentons when I initially got them. Frankly, used might be the ticket but $400 would be hard to turn down.

bluemooze likes this.
  25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Well, they might not be. They're going back to the basement for now for background music use; I'll bring them back upstairs and put them in the main system for another test maybe in another 6 months. :)

Jack Flannery likes this.