Revolver rebel turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by copshop272, Jul 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. copshop272

copshop272 New Member Thread Starter

Hi.....Been awhile since I listened to vinyl...put my old yamaha turnable out to pasture and got the revolver on ebay......any thoughts on this model...would also appreciate ideas on a cartridge.....thanks....

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It's a copy of a lower end Rega. Not a bad table for the price. I would seriously recommend a Rega Bias. You could get better carts, but I would feel you'd be spending too much money on carts twords a turntable like that. A Bias is more than enough flavor. Can you align a cart properly? Lots of tools on the web, and also to be bought inexpensively.

Was this you'rs?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1365423869

I hate Grados, but most people would find a Grado to be fine in this application...

3. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

You hate Grados Sckott?

I love the Grado sound but since I bought a Benz-Micro, the Grado flaws (hum, mistracking) are no longer acceptable. The Benz is dead quiet and it's just comming off break-in period. My Shure V15VMR is very steady too.

4. Sckott

The V15's are wonderful carts for the money, and in usually every application, shine like the sun.
    What cart do you have, and what makes you wanna move? Can't use your Shure? :/ Hmmm...

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I dislike Grados too.

Had to replace my cart. in the Ariston (the SME arm is specifically designed for Sure cartridges - like the V15) and they recommended a Grado. Pretty dull and lifeless in that TT, let me tell you. I got lucky though and came across two Sure cartridges, NOS in a flea market.

I'm a happy camper!

I'm sure the Grado sounds fine in other tables, though.... they are one of the few places in the US that still make cartrdges - or so I was told!

6. Sckott

I'll also say, from experience, if you're looking for just a low cost cart for the justification of your low-cost purchase, a Ortofon LM10 will perform very well, suprisingly WELL for peanuts, as a high performance magnetic cart. The stylus is replaceable, and VERY easy to do so. The replacements are still available.

BUT, if you want my opinion, give it the $112-130 Bias from Rega. It's a one-piece cartridge that sounds oh so sweet for the money.

You can do better, but I woulnd't. Save for more records for crying out loud.

7. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

I love the neutrality of the Shure. It tells the truth, basically. Just the facts ma'am.

But, like Christine McVie sang, sometimes I want cartridges to "tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies" so I also use my Ortofon OM40, Grado Reference Platinum, Grado MCX, Blue Point and Benz-Micro MC20 II.

8. Sckott

Hmph! He's LOADED! :D

Yes, Shure yourself happy on that table, if you have one that's going cold and not doing anyhing at the moment. Blue Point also very good.

I'm jealous. And here I was thinking you were cartless.

9. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Yea, but look at it this way, Sckott. If he plays Rubber Soul with the Blue Point, Abraxus with the Sure, Coltrane with the Benz-Micro MC20 II, his evening is over - at three records.

Poor Beagle. :(

10. aashton

aashton Here for the waters...

Unless he has three decks as well :eek:

Andrew

11. Sckott

Heh heh. Betcha he's a DEALER or knows one :)

Ya playing "superman-phonebooth" with your arm? What the hell? Hehe hehehe.

12. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

:laugh: :laugh:

Yeah, I've been there!!

But I do have two 'tables...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.