Rhino Remixes "Chicago Transit Authority" for 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by arob71, Jun 26, 2019.

1. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Or being a good engineer doesn't make someone an audiophile with a "golden set of ears."

audiomixer likes this.
  2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Should probably redirect people who wail and gnash teeth about the Beatles remixes into this thread, even the playing field a bit.

AudiophilePhil, FVDnz and audiomixer like this.
  3. AudiophilePhil

My positive feedback is I'm having a breath of fresh air knowing that I have the better options to listen to CTA by still having the original 1969 Columbia two-eye vinyl pressing, the SBM gold CD, the MoFi hybrid SACD and the older Mobile Fidelity half-speed mastered vinyl.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Christopher B likes this.
  4. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Right on! I have my 2002 remaster and a couple of copies of the two eye original 1969 Columbia vinyls. Of course better options exist for everyone who doesn't like this 2019 catastrophe.

AudiophilePhil and audiomixer like this.
  5. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

25 pages of trashing, and counting...

My vinyl copies is out for delivery today. Looking forward to hearing how terribly bad this release is...apparently...

6. AudiophilePhil

We normally forget and take for granted some good things that we already have in our possessions and we only appreciate their values more whenever we become aware of the existence of something inferior.

7. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

This does sound decent on a Google Home Hub. Maybe that’s the target, smart speakers!

8. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I’ll pass on the smart speakers.
    Obviously that aren’t that “smart” if they can’t detect defective sound.

Grant likes this.
  9. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I hope Rhino is not averse to having this LP shipped back to them unopened. I'd take store credit just to free myself of having to hear a magnificent album turned to poop before my ears. First the MFSL Bread album and now this.

10. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Could you imagine if the Beatles remixes are as bad like this, Giles Martin would have to hire 24 hour bodyguard protection.

BeatleJWOL, 905 and AudiophilePhil like this.
  11. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

[QUOTE="FVDnz, post: 22116023, member: 46590"Somebody on his Facebook page asked him if he would be interested in remixing Chicago II. Here was Jessup's response... :laugh:

"I’ve actually played with some of it Randy. I have the same files that Steven Wilson worked from. Unfortunately, the label has no reason to re-mix it again. But who knows, maybe they will be interested in some of my interpretations as bonus tracks someday."[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry dude but your interpretations will come off like hearing Bob Norberg's remasters after hearing the MFSL Sinatra SACD's.

FVDnz likes this.
  12. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Ouch.

13. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

Anybody else notice that on the back of the CD package, it says "Original mix released in 1970?" Given the abomination that's contained on the disc itself, it's a relatively small thing, but really? They couldn't even get the year of the original album release right?

MungoMusic, supermd, FVDnz and 7 others like this.
  14. Further

Further Forum Resident

supermd, Gardo, FVDnz and 2 others like this.
  15. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Otisnemes, supermd, FVDnz and 2 others like this.
  16. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

I just looked at that listing, and dang! That guy doesn't mince words. The following (in bold) is what I found depressing....

50th Anniversary Remix.
    2019 Remix Produced and Mixed by Tim Jessup, with Chicago and Bob Ludwig.
    Mixed at Chicago Music and Post Sound, Sedona, Arizona.
    Music direction by Lee Loughnane
    Mastered by Bob Ludwig at Gateway Mastering, Portland, Maine.
    Lacquers cut by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering, Los Angeles, California

These are names that I respect. I hope that someone admits that this is an absolute travesty and an unfortunate error in judgement. If this was someone's introduction to Chicago, they wouldn't make it too far in before completely dismissing the band.

FVDnz, longdist01, JediJoker and 3 others like this.
  17. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

Just played the CD in my car and my first thoughts were that this has to be some kind of manufacturing or mastering error. Not only does the mix sound crappy but there's digital distortion all over the place. I thought something was wrong with my speakers about half way through "Introduction" but no...really ugly distortion.

Anyone here play the LP yet? Wondering if the issues are just with the CD.

18. Headfone

I'm gonna do this in stages:

Just took shipment and opened the box. My vinyl 50th Anniversary cover is a beautiful heavy cardboard tip-on, just like the original. The color is true to the original I bought in July. 1969. Nice black anti-static inner sleeves. So...this reissue was packaged with care. Just sayin'...(Yeah, I know you can't judge a record by its cover.)

Furthermore, it's true...inside the gatefold, I see that Bob Ludwig and Chris Bellman are associated with this project. Again, pretty good indication that this wasn't just carelessly thrown together.

OK...now I'll listen.

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Actually not a good indication at all.

Grant and g.z. like this.
  20. Headfone

Says you, I guess...

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes, says I.

Ludwig and Bellman will master/cut what is given to them. Having them master a terrible mix doesn't make it suck any less.

supermd, BeatleJWOL, Grant and 3 others like this.
  22. Radagast

Radagast Forum Resident

I am sorry to read this, because I downloaded it on Apple Music and have been hearing a lot of digital distortion, as played through an iPhone 7 either through earbuds or my car stereo. I was thinking this must just be the Apple Music mastering and would not be on the CD. While on some of the shorter songs the EQ and compression and other things sound wonky at times, I was enjoying Liberation and Free Form Guitar.

23. Headfone

As someone who considers the original Chicago Transit Authority LP to be one of the best sounding pop/rock albums ever recorded, it would truly bother me to think that someone, having never heard it before, might judge this album's merits based on this remix. It deserves a better 50th Anniversary commemoration.

supermd, Gardo, Grant and 4 others like this.
  24. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

There must be a mistake, surely this is an error?
    I am a fan of remix classic albums which are improved on but....................
    I am hearing some serious distortion and muffled horns, drums sound like crap, guitar is turned down, audio quality is woeful.
    A very sad and miserable remix of a great album. This CD must be replaced or refunded.
    Thankfully I have the Quad Box set with far better sound.

walrus, Further and AudiophilePhil like this.
  25. AudiophilePhil

I'm curious. What's wrong with the MFSL Bread album?

Mooserfan and JediJoker like this.