Rhino Remixes "Chicago Transit Authority" for 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by arob71, Jun 26, 2019.

1. SteelyNJ

SteelyNJ Forum Resident

I wonder if that was an oversight, a conscious artistic decision or a result of a technical issue with the multi’s.

Pianoman99 likes this.
  2. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

Right. That's the big question. Let's ask writer Cetera this question ;-)

3. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

This thread said the remix was so bad that i had to download a couple of songs .
    Thats 3 dollars wasted

4. Pianoman99

I hope "Someday" was not one of them... with its disgustingly autotuned vocal...

Never thought anyone would dare or even have the idea to do this to a classic recording from 1969. But I was proven wrong.

a customer likes this.
  5. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I've been looking for the complete ballet for years but I never thought I'ld hear it as gorgeous and full of clarity as what I hear on that YouTube video.

I bought the Steven Wilson remix of Chicago II and it's worse than my Group Portrait version which it sounds like the quad was sourced from but with more separation of the brass and vocals. The trombone really comes out to balance the rest of the brass tones. I'm a former trombone and big band musician and I'm just stunned by the better sound than all the Chicago CD's I have.

Where the hell can I buy this quad mix down on CD?!

Every Kath era Chicago album should sound this good even CTA.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    a customer likes this.
  6. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I even played the Ballet quad mix down YouTube vid on one of those bluetooth boomboxes I've been researching from noticing how clear and up front they make all music sound even out in my local park and on the river. These devices really project the sound with a balanced clarity that never was on similar play back devices of the same class and size back in the day.

Just took a shot of my workstation showing the W-King playing the quad ballet and I don't have to create an EQ to hear the separation of the instruments on such a small (12in. long) listening device and it's loud and clear. The drum tim-tom bell tones just jump out of this boombox with such clarity. It's incredible the way it sounds considering it's size and $80 cost.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    longdist01 likes this.
  7. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

Downloaded side one and im a man

Pianoman99 likes this.
  8. Pianoman99

Well. not a lot better ;-)

Still a shock for me that the mix was approved by the band.

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Their ears are probably shot.

rockclassics, longdist01 and DK Pete like this.
  10. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

The band loves it. I'll never understand.

JediJoker, g.z., Plan9 and 4 others like this.
  11. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That quote is from Magnum Force :rolleyes:

FVDnz, chuckgay and Steel Woole like this.
  12. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I still want to know what became of the redone remix..??? I was highly anticipating the first one and was really deflated at the nearly *totally* negative response from fans of the album. In truth, this album wasn't in dire need of a remix (like that of Chicago II which I'm still a bit disappointed by)but when it comes to albums I grew up with and loved my entire life (almost), nicely done alternate "listening experiences" are always simething I find exciting. I guess the redone remix fell by the wayside.:shrug:

905 likes this.
  13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The remix was never going to be redone. The claim was the problem was with manufacturing, and that apparently was “fixed”.

Grant and longdist01 like this.
  14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I guess no one was too impressed with the "fixed" disc, either.

905 and Grant like this.
  15. Foreign Object

Foreign Object Forum Resident

The replacement was just as bad or worse than the original remix. I have matching coasters.

FVDnz, DK Pete, nick99nack and 2 others like this.
  16. Chest Pains Productions

Chest Pains Productions Forum Resident

This crap remix is one of the biggest abominations in music history and I’m being nice about it.

mcwlod, FVDnz, Grant and 4 others like this.
  17. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Wilson's remix of II is fantastic. But then, I never really got attached to the original mix.

FVDnz, Plan9 and Karmageddon like this.
  18. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

That's probably why I started collecting records and not movies.

19. Karmageddon

Karmageddon The Vinyl Advocate

I feel the same way.

This album is a huge favourite of mine and I know it quite intimately.

That being said, I will saw that the SW stereo remix is to die-for. The clarity, separation and EQ-work (or lack of EQ-work?) is fantastic. This album has never sounded better.

Plies he’s a man of his word, and was true to the original as much as possible.

20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

It’s all good :)

21. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

That CTA 2019 remix carcass still reeeeeeeks!!

:eek::bigeek:

22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

There are things about the "II" remix which still leave questions. While the overall sound was improved, there are portions which still sound pretty bad..almost as if Wilson was working with tape that had dirt on it, if I'm being literal.

Karmageddon likes this.
  23. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I'm not sure how I feel about iconic albums being remixed (parts or whole), but it's a reality within the music business.

The remix of Chicago II engineered by Steven Wilson improves upon the original mix in my opinion...the orig is too congested, and fortunately Wilson was able to place some separation around the instrumentation, which gives it a better listen. It's not perfect, but a little sweeter to my ears.

The remix of Chicago Transit Authority may be the worst attempt ever. When listening to the original mix along side the remix, there is not one single aspect that I can give that has been improved...you would think I could find at least one.

Tim Jessup should be ashamed for the stinky pile of poo he concocted.

I keep the 50th anniversary cd as an example of how some albums should be left alone.

24. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

On the plus side, this may be the first time in this forum's history that there's actually a real consensus on how a release sounds. This one sounds *bad*.

Damien DiAngelo, FVDnz, WMTC and 6 others like this.
  25. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

It only takes one "oh s***" to wipe out a dozen "good job" compliments. Also, it does seem that people will more readily agree that something is really bad than they will agree that something is really good.

DK Pete likes this.