Rhino's Summer of Love '69 Vinyl issues in July - Dead 2/28/29, etc

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeT, May 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

We wish we knew this price earlier.

2. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Sorry about that. I preordered from them directly and didn't think to check out prices elsewhere.
    I'm not sure what shipping costs out of France are, so it might not be that much of a saving for others.

3. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

Did anyone listen to the box so far!? Are these AAA?

midniteinsanjuan likes this.
  4. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I can't find a copy anywhere yet, these sets where Rhino only sells to independent shops are not commonly found where i live.

5. Good question..Inquiring minds want to know

6. VintageVibe

VintageVibe Forum Resident

Just listened to Side 6. St. Stephen > The Eleven. The Eleven is a complex piece so this where it holds together or crumbles. It's sounds astonishingly good!! I mean like, holy crap, 'ya gotta go out and grab this right away good! The vinyl is super quiet. Clear separation of all voices and instruments. Phil's bass is deep and tight and leads the way romping throughout. Jerry is cooking and even Bob takes over along the way. There was even a smidge of a potential organ duel going on between Pigpen and Tom. This is a very real, you are there sounding show. I thought Cornell was my #1 for quality, but this may have just taken over.

There is no mention of whether the show is sourced from tape, but it just doesn't matter. It's that good.

Tuck1977, dloew, dtuck90 and 2 others like this.
  7. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

The booklet says the tapes were restored and speed-corrected by James Howarth of Plangent Processes. Jeffrey Norman mastered and Chris Bellman cut the lacquers.

8. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I would think the Dead vinyl set would be the same source as the Fillmore West boxset but who knows. All I know is we're halfway to liberating the entire set on wax! This one looks like maybe the best set list of the 4 shows.

9. VintageVibe

Yup, sorry. Didn't see it. Was busy listening!

10. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep Thread Starter

Not sure what is going on, but finding the Dead box is getting impossible. My local ordered copies weeks ago and didn't get them in (yet). Bullmoose is out of stock, Vintage Vinyl in NJ is out of stock, Barnes and Noble let me place an order online, even though it kept saying unavailabe online, then showed it in stock, only to go unavailable again. I placed the order when it said in stock, yet it hasn't shipped yet and has been unavailable online since I placed my order. I chatted with B+N customer service and they couldn't tell me if the copy I was able to place an order will ship.

I understand that WMG changed their order process for indie stores a few months ago, and it is now seemingly a cluster#$%^ getting product or talking to a real person on the phone from what I was told, making hard for the record stores that sell their product.:disgust:

Trying to find these new Rhino Summer of '69 releases is harder than getting RSD product. WTF. I was relying on my local to get me a copy, they have ALWAYS come through and get all RSD product, etc - so I waited for them to get a copy I ordered with them - nothing yet - all because of the new screwed up order system from Warner Music Group. And now it seems like I can't get the darn thing anywhere. (Actually Amazon.co.uk has the product In-Stock and I am tempted to order from them - even if it would take more time than I like to get to me. If I do that and the Barnes and Noble order comes through I can always return the B+N item unopened to the store - or offer it up for cost + shipping in the classifieds here.)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  11. Saw one copy of the Dead at one of my locals last night so I snatched it up.

Eigenvector likes this.
  12. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

There are several new copies available on Discogs. I placed an order for one last night.

13. MikeT

I bit the bullet and ordered the Dead box via Amazon.co.uk along with 4 other items I wanted that only Amazon.co.uk had in-stock. Global Priority shipping for just the Dead box was 15pounds, but for all 5 items it was 19pounds. So I went with Amazon Global Priority shipping and my order is supposed to be to me in less than a week. I bet it may get to me even quicker than that - since even standard shipping generally gets to me within 7 days from shipping.

I am going to keep my B+N order live, since with a 15% off coupon from an already discounted price, it was too good of a price to pass up. But without guaranteed shipment, I had to ensure I would get a copy by going with Amazon.co.uk.

14. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

It's the new moving warehouses game - "Where's Warner?"

15. VintageVibe

Picked up my copy at Vintage Vinyl today. Got lucky. Did you call Scotti's in Summit?

16. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

Just thought I'd let everyone know that the Buckley box is available on Amazon UK for $89.60 shipped to the US.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07S98K472/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I went ahead and imported, as BestBuy canceled my order, and BullMoose is still OOS (they have a time window, but you know how that goes). I guess there must be some kind of distribution issue with these releases, as I don't remember the past couple of these Rhino "summer" series being this hard to get in the states. I just hope that half of this crap doesn't end up on Insound for half price a year from now.

DeRosa likes this.
  17. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I can corroborate this. My local guy has been bitching up a storm about the Warner warehouse change and the distirbution problems it's causing. RSD was a clusterfudge this year for him. He can't get anyone on the phone who has a clue.

Oddly my Dead box from Bullmoose showed up way early, Saturday when the release date was Tuesday. I did order it as early as humanly possibly though since it was annouced before the pre-sale. I was checking every day until it appeared on the Bullmoose website.

18. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

My local store had copies of the Dead and Buckley boxes (a single copy of each). I didn't see any of the Woodstock stuff. Already sold, perhaps ?

19. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Do you have the link for this Discogs listing?

I was having a hard time finding it. Thanks

20. dloew

dloew Forum Resident

My local (small) store had the same when i showed up shortly after opening first day they got them in. Owner said he had sold 1 Dead box before i got there, so they got 2 Dead boxes only and 1 Buckley box i guess. I didn't see any Woodstock stuff as well...

21. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

22. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Four Sail sounds great, rivals my original press. CB cut.

23. MikeT

Good to hear. Another title I have on pre-order with my local - who has yet to receive my copy.

24. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

25. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

Now spinning on my deck. Man, how much I love this band...

For attunement I heard the gig from February 27th yesterday. I'm not sure but it is possible that these bunch of gigs could be the best Grateful Dead concerts ever. Pigpen ist the man!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.