Rhino's Summer of Love '69 Vinyl issues in July - Dead 2/28/29, etc

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeT, May 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Is the Dead better than the pink box show that was released last year?

2. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

Dick Latvala said "The best and most exciting G.D. show ever is without a doubt 2 /28/69- Fillmore West!!!"

And if you ask me: Buy it!

chacha and RiRiIII like this.
  3. cdb3

cdb3 Forum Resident

In what way? SQ is much the same as both concerts have gone through the same process of recording, mixing and mastering to produce the vinyl. If you want the version of Dark Star that appears on Live/Dead set in the context of the two sets played on 27 February 1969 get the pink/red box from last year. This box has the two complete sets from 28th February when the Dead continued to play at an exceptional level - so musically it is jaw-dropping if you like the Dead. The four concerts recorded at the Fillmore West (all four of which were in the CD box from a few years ago) are slightly unusual in that the Dead were deliberately trying to capture performances that could be released on a live album - hence the set lists vary less from night to night than typical, although their repertoire was of course much smaller then than it was to become.

4. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

The new Fillmore 28th vinyl box is indeed a lovely product. Amazon UK seem to still have it for about £80.
    Four concerts recorded in this run - all on the 10cd set. 2 complete shows - 27th and 28th now on vinyl - is that correct?
    Also are there any official downloads of these 4 shows?

Jimmy Cooper likes this.
  5. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

As far as I know there are no official downloads available. But as they issued the first gig of this series last year it's been told, that all four shows will be released on vinyl.

cdb3 and Flaming Torch like this.
  6. cdb3

cdb3 Forum Resident

I got the new February Dead box set from Rough Trade in London so maybe it is available from Rough Trade in New York. It's also listed at Juno but they weren't showing stock in the middle of last week when I ordered.

7. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I wanted to stress that Constanten's contributions are fantastic all over these shows. Essential part of Dead's sound. Love it.

AlienRendel and pterodactyl like this.
  8. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Just bought the first 2 Tim records on vinyl but I’d still be interested in the box set...don’t have any on CD either

9. DaK

DaK Forum Resident

I think the new Tim Buckley collection on vinyl are the same remasters as the 2017 CD collection, so they are very likely digitally sourced.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  10. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Thought it might be pertinent to add that Four Sail uses the original Arthur Lee mixes rather than the retooled Elektra one, so those of you who have only heard the original LP might notice a bit of a difference.

11. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Listening to the 2/27 Pink Box again.
    I drastically revise my assessment of this Dead Box - it’s great.
    Once you get past the first half hour or so, it’s really strong .

Mazzy and cdb3 like this.
  12. dloew

dloew Forum Resident

Anyone having trouble finding these releases at local shops or online (releases show out of stock at places I usually check, like Bullmoose and Amazon), note Barnes & Noble seems to have most in stock and they are currently running 20% off sales with a code. I picked up all 4 woodstock releases in store durring their vinyl weekend this past weekend (B&N have exclusive color version of Three and Four FYI). Online then I grabbed the Love release for 20% off today.

13. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep Thread Starter

Yes - seems like Rhino/Warners really screwed up this promotion. My local hasn't gotten any of the releases I pre-ordered from them. I really wanted the Dead release so I ordered it from Amazon.co.uk late last week, and it is being delivered today. Ironic - that people in Europe are able to get these releases fairly easily, while here in the U.S. it is like a treasure hunt.

I am waiting for my local to get:
    Love
    Jefferson Airplane - both titles
    Paul Butterfield Blues Band

They, my local, told me, even though I pre-ordered the Dead release with them, since they were having a hard time getting it just to buy it wherever I could find it.

14. Zapruder

Warner's distribution has been an absolute nightmare for a couple months or so. This in no way surprises me.

Dreaddazzman likes this.
  15. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Heard the same from my local, that WB has been a mess lately. They haven't been getting shipments on time for quite some time. The issues have been ongoing since WB moved warehouses right before RSD.

While you would think they could get their act together on 3 months, I'm also not surprised that they haven't.

16. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep Thread Starter

Got my Dead box today from Amazon.co.uk (with others items I wanted to hold down the shipping per item). With shipping I calculated that I paid $88.00 for the Dead box, which is about the same price I would have gotten it from Barnes and Noble if they had shipped my order. It never shipped from B+N, at least up to and including today, so I was able to cancel that order.

Now I just hope my local gets in the other items I want from this "promotion" - although I can live with or without them if they never come through. I had to have the Dead box, even though I have the Fillmore '69 CD box set.

cdb3 likes this.
  17. Zapruder

They'll get them if they ordered them...it'll just take a minute.

18. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Got my preorder from Bullmoose today. Man, that box is heavy!

19. Saw them all at two stores in Seattle. Only saw one Dead box which I grabbed

20. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

The Plangent Process requires digitization so this is definitely cut from digital files.

I just picked up a copy at a local shop, decent price at $90 (no sales tax here) but had a $10 frequent flier credit so I'm calling it $80. Which I felt pretty good about until I found it (supposedly) in stock at FYE for $76! Not sure about shipping though.

For those in search I'd check it out toots sweet. Bullmoose has it at $99?!

birchstick likes this.
  21. LoveandTheft

LoveandTheft Forum Resident

Received the Tim Buckley box from Amazon.uk today; vinyl looks great with lined sleeves and period labels (i.e gold Elektra labels for the early LPs, Lorca with the green butterfly Elektra label and green Warner Brothers labels for remaining ones).
    Sticker on box states 'The newly remastered audio on vinyl' but does not state year; probably based on the 2017 audio. Had chance to listen to side 1 of Blue Afternoon and it does sound very good (and quiet). I have a first Canadian pressing of Hello |Goodbye that I can compare later when I get a chance. a nice package overall.

DeRosa and DaK like this.
  22. birchstick

birchstick Forum Resident

Shipping is $15 and I can’t figure out how to get around it. This brings it back up to $90.

And solid info about them being AAA vs digital. Knowing Bellman is cutting it, I can assume this will still sound great. Was the 2/27/69 set AAA?

23. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

No need to assume it sounds great, it does.

And GD releases have been Plangent Processed for such a while now that it seems easy to surmise 2/27 was as well.

24. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

I figured there'd be a catch to that price via the shipping. Still a worthy purchase though, especially if one wants to (hopefully) complete the run if they issue the other nights.

Yes, the first RSD box was also cut from digital Plangentized files.

25. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Pulled the trigger on 2/28/69 at Fye. I had a 20% off email sent to me but the $15 in shipping kind of offset the savings. Still I got it for $90 and that’s about as good as it gets it seems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.