Richard & Linda Thompson: Hard Luck Stories (1972-1982) [8CD Box Set; 11th September 2020]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Jul 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdb3

cdb3 Forum Resident

I had a look at LT's Facebook page where she had posted a couple of photos, which are from the book that goes with the set. She was asked what the book was and only replied that there was a box set on Universal. I couldn't find any other post. Here's one of the photos, though I am not sure if the link will work.

Linda Thompson

2. cdb3

cdb3 Forum Resident

3. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

That book looks gorgeous! Thanks for tracking down those photos. There’s not much in the photos to give full context but it looks like the book might be similar dimensions and format to the fantastic book in the Bobbie Gentry set.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    C6H12O6 and pghmusiclover like this.
  4. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Scrolling down, I just see a brief note on that photo that Linda wrote "Boxed set. New". And then "It’s on Universal. Xx"

C6H12O6 likes this.
  5. DeeThomaz

Apparently this news was floating around on Linda’s page for quite a while!

C6H12O6 likes this.
  6. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

there's no lack of material from that tour. as mentioned, several tracks were included on the shoot out the lights bonus. there's even a video from Washington d.c. you can find a few tracks on youtube.

DeeThomaz and uzn007 like this.
  7. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

All your queries will be answered - I'm excited to be able to talk about it soon!

8. AndyB

AndyB Forum Resident

so glad you are excited! hope you like the tracklisting when it comes out :) This was the project I was working on last year that I couldn't mention after Bobbie had come out

9. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I've had audio of most of that stuff for years, but I'd like to get a cleaned-up, good-sounding copy, especially of a complete show. As I said, though, I'm not holding my breath.

I'll definitely check the Shoot out the Lights bonus material to see if it's worth picking up another copy of that album.

10. uzn007

PS: I assume you mean the US tour here? I don't think I've ever seen anything but the one show from the Islamic tour.

11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Fantastic! Keep us informed when you can!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  12. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

The sound of the Bobbie Gentry Chickasaw box is terrific. Definitely interested in getting this one when it comes out.

I have all the Richard & Linda CDs, except Sunnyvista. The sound on I Want To See The Bright Lights original disc is about perfect to my ears, but I wouldn't mind hearing a decent remaster of everything else they did.

Also, really curious what the extra tracks will be.

13. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

The original Island 'Bright Lights' CD sounds spectacular. The later issue with bonus tracks sounded a bit tweaked to me.

I too do not have 'Sunnyvista' but do have 'First Light' on CD.

There was some reference to abandoned sessions circa 1977 in the recent Clinton Heylin book. I'm not sure whether these would have been studio recordings of 'The Madness Of Love' etc.

DeeThomaz and Uncle Miles like this.
  14. JayB

JayB Senior Member

One of my biggest disappointments ever music-wise.

They could've released the complete alternate Gerry Rafferty produced "Shoot Out The Lights" and we get a live show.

Is it even possible to hope that this may be some of the "rare" stuff in this new box? (Yes I know a few songs have been released officially but getting it all in good quality would sure be nice!)

DeeThomaz likes this.
  15. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Maybe we can get one of the 1982 shows when Linda kicked Richard in the shins. :realmad:

I saw them in Philadelphia, but Linda was disappointingly well-behaved. Sung amazingly well, though.

16. uzn007

"Some people have a very strange way of handing in their resignation!"

James spencer and majorlance like this.
  17. jomo48

jomo48 Forum Resident

I saw the San Francisco show at Great American Music Hall. Their marital problems weren't yet public knowledge, but the show had a very weird vibe. The couple never communicated with each other directly, and appeared to use Simon Nicol as an intermediary.

18. mretrain

mretrain Forum Resident

(guitar, vocal) ?

Does that count?

James spencer and majorlance like this.
  19. DeeThomaz

Maybe. It’s certainly plausible. But I think it might be more likely that the relevant material will be spread out across the set in its proper chronological placement.

AndyB and majorlance like this.
  20. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Nice! Looks like an LP-sized box set. The liner notes pictured even mention "three previously unreleased tracks" unearthed from the Pour Down Like Silver sessions.

Juggsnelson and DeeThomaz like this.
  21. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Wasn't Linda's reply something like "I've been fired from this band so many times, it doesn't matter now" or words to that effect? Can't seem to locate my copy of Doom & Gloom at the moment.

22. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Yep. I wasn't aware of the Pointers' version until a few months ago myself!

The song also appears on Small Town Romance, a 1984 album culled from RT solo acoustic performances at NYC's Bottom Line & Folk City clubs in 1982.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    Wounded Land likes this.
  23. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

I'd like to get the Rafferty version of Shoot out the Lights. Does anyone know whether that album was truly finished? I've heard the Rafferty's Folly bootleg, but it doesn't sound like a finished product.

Brettlowden likes this.
  24. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Thank you AndyB for your hard work and attention to detail. The Bobbie Gentry box was one of the best sets released and now this.

Looking very forward to your comments as we proceed. Can't wait to pre-order!

25. Philo

Philo Music Maven

Any chance of a high-res version as well?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.